Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rob Zombie's Halloween -- remake (2007)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rob Zombie's Halloween -- remake (2007)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-06, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terrell
Rob Zombie is the least talented person allowed to make films, other than maybe Boll. He has not one speck of talent, in any aspect of filmmaking. Rob Zombie completely redefines the word hack. I refuse to even refer to him as a filmmaker.

I tried watching Devil's Reject, and it was some of the worst crap I've ever seen. This guy's idea of great cinematography is showing closeups of rotting teeth.
I'm surprised to hear you say that, while I wasn't a big fan of his first movie, I was totally blown away by "Devil's Rejects". I've seen it a couple of times since then and I think it still holds up. And I think the look and score of the movie are top-notch. I'm not sure if he would be a good fit for a "Halloween" movie, but I'm surprsed to hear anybody call him a hack.
Old 06-04-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw bits of 1000 Corpses on cable and I tried watching Devil's Reject's. I saw nothing with any redeeming value whatsoever. He's obviously a rocker that somehow got a chance to make films, demented, sick films. But I see no talent in any aspect of filmmaking. All I've seen this guy do is throw sick, disgusting images up on film with a very weak story. Compare Halloween, The Thing, or even The Fog with Devil's Reject and you'll see what I mean.

I don't begrude anyone enjoying his work. I'm a big Lucas fan, and some people think he doesn't have a talented bone in his body. I just don't see any talent in this man, not filmmaking talent. It just reinforces the fact that Hollywood will let anyone make a film. That's my own personal opinion.

This review sums up my thoughts on Zombie.

http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/mo...s_rejects.html

Personally, Halloween movies needed to be stop three or four movies ago. Enough is enough. Same goes for Halloween and Freddy films. But they probably won't because they're not all that expensive to make, and evidently enough people will buy the DVDs to make it a profitable endeavor.
Old 06-04-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
If he says he's not making Halloween 9, I guess he's not. It's amazing how many rumors internet "scoop" sites try to start and then wind up being B.S. Next thing they'll be saying that Robert Rodriguez is going to direct a new adaptation of the "Popeye" cartoon and Quentin Tarantino is going to try and re-invigorate Hellraiser with a fresh start.
Old 06-04-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Wasn't there a rumor that Takashi Miike was going to direct a new Halloween film?
Old 06-04-06, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zombie ISN'T making Halloween 9.

But he IS remaking the original Halloween. At least, according to Rob Zombie on his myspace blog.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...f-3f49e6b1e2e7
Old 06-04-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Confirmed by Dimension Films:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/index.p...plate=newsfull
Old 06-04-06, 05:15 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I gotta say...wow. I'm not too keen on my favorite horror film (and one of my favorite all time films at that) being remade, but this is very interesting. I too saw a huge leap in skill between HO1kC and The Devil's Rejects and am pretty excited to see what he can do with Halloween. I'd rather see him do Part 9 than a remake, but it's not like a remake is going to further embarrass the franchise or anything...I don't think you can do worse than Resurrection.
Old 06-04-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rob Zombie made a huge, definite leap from the terrible House of 1000 Corpses to the wonderful grindhouse shlock of The Devil's Rejects. As others, nothing is going to directly compare to Carpenter's original, but the film franchise is in a dire need of a reboot and Zombie might actually be the man up to the challenge.

And I don't get all the hate for Zombie. The Devil's Rejects might've not been a great horror film, but it was some of the most fun I had in theaters last year. Imagine 400 or so horror fans pumped up by being some of the first to see the film in it's final theatrical form in addition to Rob Zombie and his wife in attendence (with a question and answer following). It was a grand ole time.
Old 06-04-06, 06:49 PM

I couldn't have loved The Devil's Rejects more if I tried. I think that this should be a very good time. I am still kind of afraid to believe it though. It still seems way too good to be true to me.

Last edited by onebyone; 06-04-06 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-04-06, 07:38 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I liked it but found it a bit flawed the first time I watched it, but since it's been released on DVD, it's quickly become one of my favorites. Frailty is probably still my favorite horror flick from the last 5 or 6 years, but The Devil's Rejects ain't too far behind. I went back and watched House of 1000 Corpses a few weeks ago, and I can't believe Zombie directed both films. Say what you want about the schlock level of The Devil's Rejects, but the film exudes atmosphere and mood. And to make the full circle back to the original topic, I believe Carpenter's Halloween established a mood better than any film I've ever seen. Brilliant cinematography, editing, score, etc. The more I think about it, the more I think Zombie is the right choice.
Old 06-04-06, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Damed

But he IS remaking the original Halloween. At least, according to Rob Zombie on his myspace blog.

Jesus, enough with the fucking re-makes already!

I'd much rather see him direct part 9 than this. I just lost a lot of respect for Mr. Zombie.
Old 06-04-06, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Damed

Sounds like he's making a movie called Halloween that'll be totally different from any film in the series:

"Okay here's the real deal for those of you who are confused. As I said yesterday - I am not making Halloween 9. That series is done, complete, over.

But what I am doing is starting totally from from scratch. This the new HALLOWEEN. Call it a remake, an update, a reimaging or whatever, but one thing that for sure is this is a whole new start... a new begining with no connection to the other series. That is exactly why the project appeals to me. I can take it and run with it.

I talked to John Carpenter about this the other day and he said, "Go for it, Rob. Make it your own". And that's exactly what I intend to do.
"

Hell, he might not even have Michael Myers in it.
Old 06-04-06, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts
How about John Carpenter helming the next Halloween film?

He could kill two birds with one stone by revitalizing both the Halloween franchise and his career.
Old 06-04-06, 10:03 PM

"Okay here's the real deal for those of you who are confused. As I said yesterday - I am not making Halloween 9. That series is done, complete, over.

But what I am doing is starting totally from from scratch. This the new HALLOWEEN. Call it a remake, an update, a reimaging or whatever, but one thing that for sure is this is a whole new start... a new begining with no connection to the other series. That is exactly why the project appeals to me. I can take it and run with it.

I talked to John Carpenter about this the other day and he said, "Go for it, Rob. Make it your own". And that's exactly what I intend to do."
This is like me trying to paint a copy of Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel masterpiece. Whatever he comes up with, which will probably be shit, it won't come within a million miles of touching Carpenter's brilliant original. Some films should be left the fuck alone and not remade. Halloween is one of them.
Old 06-04-06, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Sounds like he's making a movie called Halloween that'll be totally different from any film in the series:

I talked to John Carpenter about this the other day and he said, "Go for it, Rob. Make it your own". And that's exactly what I intend to do.
"

Hell, he might not even have Michael Myers in it.

Wow, so now they've thrown Michael into the current trend machine...

Remake + Excessive Gore/Violence = $$$$$

Halloween is a classic and needs no reimagining.
Old 06-04-06, 10:04 PM

Halloween is a classic and needs no reimagining.
Amen!
Old 06-04-06, 10:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Halloween is a brilliant first 40 minutes, and then it's like they let the air out of the balloon. When we're hearing rumors about Meyers and we don't know what he's going to do, but we keep seeing flashes of him, it's suspenseful as hell. Once he starts killing people, well, it's pedestrian. Halloween may have made Carpenter's career, and it's definitely better than anything he did after In The Mouth of Madness, but he's had far, far better movies (for example, The Thing). Heck, I even enjoyed They Live! more than Halloween. There's nothing wrong with reimagining a film that was flawed to begin with.
Old 06-04-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts
But wouldn't this just be your typical slasher flick...only set on Halloween.

The original had no great originality to it and 27 years of knockoffs only make this idea sound worse.
Old 06-05-06, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Terrell
This is like me trying to paint a copy of Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel masterpiece. Whatever he comes up with, which will probably be shit, it won't come within a million miles of touching Carpenter's brilliant original. Some films should be left the fuck alone and not remade. Halloween is one of them.
The problem with that logic is that it's fucking faulty. To an extent, all of the Halloween films (except Season of the Witch for the fact that it's not a direct sequel) have all contained pretty much the same story told in a different way. Michael Myers escapes from somewhere, decides to attack a member of the Strode family or someone who is in his old house, and all hell breaks loose. That's been all of the sequels' plotlines right there. Hell, even the sequel Carpenter had a direct hand in wasn't that special.
Old 06-05-06, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If Rob takes the project I highly doubt anyone will be let down. We're talking Rob freakin' Zombie here folks, a guy who refuses to give in to the typical mainstream BS..........that is of course, depending on how much money he is offered
Oh, I guess you missed his first movie, House of 1000 Corpses. I'm a huge horror fan, and this movie was surprisingly mainstream and not shocking or interesting in the least.(compared to how shocking it was being touted to be).
Old 06-05-06, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Shit. I'd rather have this over a "9", come on, series was on life support since the horrendous 6th entry. Granted, Halloween, along with Exorcist, shouldn't be touched, but I support Rob, and it will be the best thing next to the original.
Old 06-05-06, 09:05 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Awesome, a remake. Instead of the suspense and pacing of the first film, instead we'll get loud blaring music and random jump-cuts to grainy b&w footage.
Old 06-05-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Let's see it first before we create a negative opinion, we owe every filmmaker that prior to seeing his/her film. But its too popular to do that via the internet....
Old 06-05-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What I love about the original is its ability to create a creepy atmosphere by simply using music, sound effects, and some different camera angles. There's very little blood used in the movie and no gore. Those items aren't necessary to scare the crap out of audiences, but today's filmmakers think that's the only way. Shock, shock, shock.

I don't have a problem if Zombie wants to make another sequel, but leave the original alone.
Old 06-05-06, 03:02 PM

The problem with that logic is that it's fucking faulty. To an extent, all of the Halloween films (except Season of the Witch for the fact that it's not a direct sequel) have all contained pretty much the same story told in a different way.
Except that I'm not talking about all the Halloween films. Honestly, I couldn't care less about Halloween III through IX. I think Halloween II is a worthy ending to Michael Myers, and thought it was a pretty good film that fit visually with the original. But the original is a horror classic, one of the truly great horror films. I don't think it needs to be remade, updated, or re-imagined, especially by Zombie. Zombie's one of those guys that you either like or hate from a filmmaking perspective. I don't think it's a secret now that I can't stand the guy as a filmmaker. But I wouldn't want anyone to try and remake Halloween. Because nobody, especially Zombie, will be able to touch Carpenter's film with a 10 foot pole. I can only imagine what Zombie's Halloween is going to be like. Myers turned into a sadist, with violence so extreme that even Clive Barker would cringe.

I have no problem if Zombie wants to do a take on Halloween ala Season of the Witch, with an entirely new concept. But don't call it Halloween, and don't screw with the original. It sounds like he's going to remake the original, with the same storyline, except the date, setting, and character changed.

Last edited by Terrell; 06-05-06 at 03:07 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.