Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Francis Ford Coppola's Noah's Ark- Starring Tom Hanks (2008)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-06, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....and their kids want some work too.

SOFIA COPPOLA TO DIRECT NEW FILM STARRING COLIN HANKS, BRYCE DALLAS HOWARD
Hot young talent to get big break on “The American Dream”

Hollywood — Sofia Coppola has agreed to direct ‘The American Dream,’ that features rising stars Colin Hanks and Bryce Dallas Howard. The film, which is being produced by Ron Howard, Francis Ford Coppola, and Tom Hanks, is about a young couple who immigrates to the United States from Poland in the late 1800s to pursue their dreams of success. “This is a movie about every human’s desire to fight a corrupt system and get their chance to make it big,” Coppola explained. “When I saw that Bryce and Colin share the same personal connection to the themes of this film that I do, I knew I had to accept the producers’ pleas to direct it.”

“We considered a number of directors, but after seeing her fine work on ‘Lost in Translation,’ we knew Sofia was the best person for the job,” said Francis Ford Coppola.

All three young talents said they were particularly intrigued by the differences of the America in the late 1800s of the story compared to today.

‘It turns out that back then, people had to work really hard to get a job they like, even a shitty one like dressmaking which my character does,’ observed Howard. ‘It’s not like today, where you can get a big job like starring in movies just by telling people you know that you’re interested in it.’

The couple in the movie, an aspiring dressmaker and policeman, face a corrupt system run by Tammany Hall that rewards friends and relatives of those in power with the most lucrative and desirable jobs.

“It’s really amazing how back then, people who knew or were related to those in power got the best jobs, rather than those who were the most talented,” Hanks said of his reaction to the script. “I think audiences will be amazed when they contrast the corrupt America in the movie to the objective meritocracy that we all take for granted today.”

Despite its independent spirit, ‘The American Dream’ already has a distribution deal with Universal Pictures.

‘At Universal, we know it’s worthwhile to take a risk on talented young artists like Sophia, Bryce and Colin,’ said studio chairman Stacy Snider. ‘On a separate note, I’m proud to announce we have just signed a deal for Francis Ford Coppola to direct, Ron Howard to produce, and Tom Hanks to star in our 2008 summer tentpole film ‘Noah’s Ark.’
Old 05-30-06, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really hope that's a metaphorical title. In any case, this and Coppola's previous project "Megalopolis" don't leave many questions open about the state of his ego, do they?
Old 05-30-06, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish Copolla would go and direct "Giant In the Earth" as was rumored years ago (he apparently bought the rights). That would be cool, I'd run to see that. Or maybe Terence Malick could direct "Giants". I could care less for a Noah movie (hasn't this been done?). Sorry, strayed OT a bit...

-Gunshy
Old 05-30-06, 09:13 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
I really hope that's a metaphorical title.
Sweet marmalade, please yes.
Old 05-30-06, 09:37 AM

I think this must be a joke given those quotes by Howard and Hanks. A pity, though, as a Coppola Noah's Ark film would be interesting to watch.
Old 05-30-06, 09:43 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
shouldn't the title be Sophia Coppola's? Usually it is the director, not the producer who gets top billing. i thought FFC was directing this. either way looks good.
Old 05-30-06, 09:52 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is the only reference I could find to this on Google. http://datelinehollywood.com/archive...dallas-howard/
Based on the other 'articles' there ("AL GORE CONDEMNS ‘CARS’ FOR PROMOTING GLOBAL WARMING"), it appears to be a movie news-themed parody site in the style of The Onion.
Old 05-30-06, 10:02 AM

It's pretty obvious that article isn't real. Funny stuff, though.
Old 05-30-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You guys are so easily duped.
Old 05-30-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You all know this is a joke, right?
Old 05-30-06, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
I don't get the Noah's Ark joke, but the rest of it was mildly amusing.
Old 05-30-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I don't get the Noah's Ark joke, but the rest of it was mildly amusing.
The only people on Noah's boat were his own family and their spouses.
Old 05-30-06, 12:12 PM

Read the quotes in the story...a little too on the nose to be real

‘It turns out that back then, people had to work really hard to get a job they like, even a shitty one like dressmaking which my character does,’ observed Howard. ‘It’s not like today, where you can get a big job like starring in movies just by telling people you know that you’re interested in it.’
“It’s really amazing how back then, people who knew or were related to those in power got the best jobs, rather than those who were the most talented,” Hanks said of his reaction to the script. “I think audiences will be amazed when they contrast the corrupt America in the movie to the objective meritocracy that we all take for granted today.”
C'mon...you think they really said these things? Even for Hollywood celebrities, that would be pretty stupid.
Old 05-30-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's a joke about Francis Ford Coppola hiring his daughter to direct a movie and Ron Howard and Tom Hanks hiring their kids to star in it and then the cast commenting on how corrupt it was back in the day when you could only get good jobs from people you knew or were related to, and how great it is now that things aren't like that any longer.

Clearly a bit too subtle for some.

Last edited by Numanoid; 05-30-06 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-30-06, 12:59 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GeorgeP
C'mon...you think they really said these things? Even for Hollywood celebrities, that would be pretty stupid.
I could imagine Paris Hilton saying something like this, though.
Old 05-30-06, 01:39 PM

Paris Hilton isn't even a Hollywood celebrity. She falls into her own sub (and I do mean "sub") category.

I'm still trying to imagine Bryce Dallas Howard 'carrying' a major Hollywood film. She's been the major player in two of M. Night's films, now, basically because she's Ron Howard's daughter. How she can headline these major releases is beyond me.

Some of her statements to the press do rank right up there with that fake one. To wit:

Originally Posted by Bryce Dallas Howard
Right now as an artist, what I want to do is be a part of works that are unignorable. I couldn't be less interested in how people receive it, honestly. As long as it's unignorable.
Originally Posted by Bryce Dallas Howard
I feel like I almost didn't grow up in the business, because my parents worked so hard at sheltering us from that. I was raised in Connecticut. And I honestly wasn't aware that my dad was a celebrity until I moved to Los Angeles a year ago.
And you have to love the way even the factoids of her life on IMDB are phrased to make her seem like not the brightest bulb in the batch.

Until recently had not seen an episode of "Happy Days" (1974), in which her father starred. However, in early 2006 she bought the DVD release of the show and now understands its continued appeal.