Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"100 Funniest Movies"...Bravo TV's List?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"100 Funniest Movies"...Bravo TV's List?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-07, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Oddly enough, the first thing to jump out at me is that Broadcast News is even on the list at all. In truth, it is a light drama, not a comedy. It is a great film but has no business on this list at all.

The omission of Planes, Trains and Automobiles is pretty unforgivable (and I would suggest that Midnight Run should be on there also) and obviously some of the ordering is pretty skewed, but the list really isn't that bad. About 70 of the movies in the list probably deserve to be on a reasonable top 100 list, which is better than average for Bravo.
Old 11-11-07, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you guys know that almost no comedies were produced before the 80's? I didn't either, but apparently this list has taught us all something new.
Old 11-11-07, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Originally Posted by Brent L
Did you guys know that almost no comedies were produced before the 80's? I didn't either, but apparently this list has taught us all something new.
It is not even worth complaining about that when these Top X (whatever) lists get created. It is inevitable that almost anything prior to 1970 will get screwed.
Old 04-16-08, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prior To The 70's

I know, it's pretty moronic when something like the Paleface, Support Your Local Sheriff or The Apartment are left off a list of great comedies, since one can't really say the name of the movies before mentioned without immediately saying, "great comedy".

Napoleon Dynamite, I think I need a fork to poke out my eye... and where's Tommy Boy, how can these idiots rank the movies they ranked, and not include Tommy Boy, if anything, it should be top 5 on this list, not to mention top 20 on a reasonable list.
Old 06-21-08, 05:51 PM

The top ten has two movies worthy of top ten status: Airplane! and There's Something about Mary. I was shocked to find no TOMMY BOY!!! Holy crap, that is a no-brainer! Spaceballs? Robin Hood: Men in Tights? Hot Shots?!?!

Animal House is ok... but so overrated, I swear its because John Belushi is dead.
Napoleon is just as overrated, I laughed once, and that is when he jumps the ramp and racks himself, but hell, I could watch America's Funniest Home Videos and see that twenty times before the show is over.

40 Year Old Virgin deserves at least top five.

The Aristocrats? AHHHHH!!!!!! that was the worst dvd I've ever rented!
Old 06-24-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
These kind of lists are just rubbish. One persons opinion. I mean Animal House number 1......have you watched it recently? It has not aged well. Belushi is great thats a given...but the rest of it is stilted, boring trash. Spinal Tap not in the top 10....unbelievable. The Princess Bride (although not really a full blown comedy genre movie) is funnier than most of the movies listed here. And where God is Top Secret. Its the best out of the Zucker series of movies. And both Meet the.... movies being listed is just bad. I would have put King of Comedy up there instead. De Niro is amazingly funny in that movie. The scene where he is trying to do a tape and he is shouting at his mother is funny as hell. Also no "History of the World". What about Life of Brian in the top 10. Amazingly funny movie. The Holy Grail the same.
Old 07-25-08, 04:28 PM

King Of Comedy

That's funny that you mentioned it, The King of Comedy is far and away funnier than either of the Focker movies.

I just watched Support Your Local Sheriff the other night and laughed my ass off. When Garner is sitting down to eat and they raise the price of lunch from $3.95 to $8.95 with the paint brush and the guy turns to him and says, "it catches you between bites sometimes" ... come on, that's some real, original comedy.