Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Most Overrated Peter Jackson Movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Most Overrated Peter Jackson Movie
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
13.25%
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
7.23%
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
32.53%
King Kong
27.71%
Heavenly Creatures
4.82%
Braindead
9.64%
Other (Say what it is)
4.82%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Results thus far as voted by the members:

Most Overrated Martin Scorsese movie - The Departed

Most Overrated Pixar Movie - Cars

Most Overrated Stanley Kubrick Movie - 2001: A Space Odyssey

Most Overrated Steven Spielberg Movie - E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial

Most Overrated Quentin Tarantino Movie - Jackie Brown

BTW, I changed the results for Pixar and Tarantino due to the fact that I wasn't being fair with the poll choices. Had I included "No *insert director's name* movies is overrated", it's possible those would have been the leading choices in the other threads/polls. So I will now leave them out, and in the case of Pixar and Tarantino, the choices that received the second most votes is now "the winner". This was done in fairness to the other directors.

Next up, Peter Jackson. Unless you love everything the man has done, there has to be one movie of his you didn't like, or find gets more praise than it deserves. Vote for which one it is.

Last edited by abe55; 12-04-08 at 02:44 AM.
Old 12-04-08, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Voted ROTK, even though I like it better than the Two Towers (and I like it a lot.) King Kong is the worst, but it's not exactly rated highly enough to be overrated.
Old 12-04-08, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by abe55

Next up, Peter Jackson. Unless you love everything the man has done, there has to be one movie of his you didn't like, or find gets more praise than it deserves. Vote for which one it is.
Didn't read this part before I voted. So you can vote for what you didn't like instead of overrated? Seems like 2 very different questions.
Old 12-04-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I voted King Kong because I thought it sucked. Not sure if it was overrated because everyone else thought it sucked too. I can't vote for any of the LOTR movies because I think they are all rated exactly as they should be and I didn't see the others. So King Kong it is for being the most snooze inducing action movie I've seen in years.
Old 12-04-08, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The Frighteners - Terrible movie. Not the least bit scary, nor interesting. Maybe Michael J. Fox's low point too. Somehow regarded as a cult favorite.

Last edited by Charlie Goose; 12-04-08 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-04-08, 08:17 AM

I voted for the Two Towers. That was probably one of the worst movies I have ever seen in the theaters. It is also the only movie that I have ever fallen asleep watching in the theaters.
Old 12-04-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
The Frighteners - Terrible movie. Not the least bit scary, nor interesting. Maybe Michael J. Fox's low point too. Somehow regarded as a cult favorite.
WHAT!?! I fucking LOVE The Frighteners and think it's easily his most underrated movie - it's not supposed to be a balls out horror flick, it's a dark comedy. Wickedly funny, great special effects and Michael J. rocks in that one (his low point would be something like For Love or Money IMO).

As far as PJ goes, even though I really liked KING KONG, it's his most overrated to me IMO. Good but not amazing.
Old 12-04-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by godzilla rules
I voted for the Two Towers. That was probably one of the worst movies I have ever seen in the theaters. It is also the only movie that I have ever fallen asleep watching in the theaters.
This was the favorite of mine of the trilogy. Return of the King was good but it was too long and I thought it was the weakest of the trilogy, yet it is held with the highest regard. So, I voted it is overrated (but not by much).
Old 12-04-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought all of the LOTR movies were overrated.
Old 12-04-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan

Same here (well i've only actually seen the first 2). It's a crapshoot so I just voted for the first one.
I happen to love Jackson's King Kong.
Old 12-04-08, 10:40 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I voted ROTK -- I think Two Towers is the best of the trilogy.
Old 12-04-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
i completely disagree. i think it's the most criminally underrated movies of the past 20 years.
Old 12-04-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Agree as well, and went with ROTK since its the one with the awards... Actually I did enjoy FOTR.

IMO however, I think Heavenly Creatures is extremely underrated as I think its by far his best work and one of my favorites.
Old 12-04-08, 01:09 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I voted King Kong because I thought it sucked. Not sure if it was overrated because everyone else thought it sucked too. I can't vote for any of the LOTR movies because I think they are all rated exactly as they should be and I didn't see the others. So King Kong it is for being the most snooze inducing action movie I've seen in years.
I've yet to finish this movie start to finish without falling asleep somewhere before the end
Old 12-04-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I also voted for ROTK, but only because it is the weakest of the trilogy and won all of the awards that should have been received by FOTR, the true masterpiece of that series. It's certainly not a bad thing, however, to have a career where ROTK is your "most overrated" movie.
Old 12-04-08, 01:49 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
overrated threads are overrated.
Old 12-04-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You have got to kidding me.... Frighteners is his most underrated movie. It is a great flick!
Old 12-04-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I voted King Kong. That movie is terrible. Of the other movies on the list I've only seen the LOTR ones, and I love those.
Old 12-04-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
Voted King Kong.

I absolutely LOVE the LOTR Trilogy. I've never been into fantasy movies/books and couldn't even make it half way throught the Fellowship of the Ring novel, but the 3 films are infinitely enjoyable to me.

King Kong could be a very good movie if it were trimmed by about a half hour.
Old 12-04-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aww crap i voted for Fellowship when i meant to vote for Return of the King. Fellowship was actually my fav of the 3 I thought Return dragged on and on and on and on at the end.
Old 12-04-08, 04:08 PM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I voted "Other" because I didn't know that awful, awful, awful Dead Alive was also known as Braindead.

Also, the man's only directed around ten films that have been released so far; why not just include them all in the poll?

Last edited by story; 12-04-08 at 04:09 PM. Reason: To ask a reasonable question.
Old 12-04-08, 04:30 PM

I voted other, for "all". I cannot stand this man's style or delivery. Everything he does is dull incredibly long.

From his comedies (Dead Alive, Bad Taste, Meet the Feebles) to his epics (LOTR-King Kong), I haven't seen a single improvement other than he can get a good CG team.
Old 12-04-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
WHAT!?! I fucking LOVE The Frighteners and think it's easily his most underrated movie - it's not supposed to be a balls out horror flick, it's a dark comedy. Wickedly funny, great special effects and Michael J. rocks in that one (his low point would be something like For Love or Money IMO).
Agreed completely! The Frighteners is my favorite Peter Jackson movie. I wish it was available on Blu-ray. I think it would look spectacular.

I voted for Braindead/Dead Alive as most overrated. Maybe it was the hype that I experienced from everyone before I'd actually seen it, but I didn't love it. However, it was far from "awful" though in my opinion.
Old 12-04-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Same here. Fantasy foolishness like that puts me right to sleep. Meet the Feebles is hilarious though - I'm hoping Anchor Bay will bless us with a legit release at some point.
Old 12-04-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think "The Frighteners" is a complete piece of shit. I don't like "King Kong" either, but as others have said, it already isn't well regarded, so it's difficult for it to meet the definition of "overrated."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.