Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Benicio Del Toro is The Wolf Man

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Benicio Del Toro is The Wolf Man

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-09, 11:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Del Toro is The Wolf Man

Entertainment Weekly reports that the first official trailer for WOlf Man trailer will be shown with Inglorious Basterds.
Old 08-20-09, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Trailer
Old 08-20-09, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like a nice companion piece to Coppola's Dracula.
Old 08-20-09, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here ya go...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I5u8RKA4na0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I5u8RKA4na0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Old 08-20-09, 11:02 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<object width="450" height="292"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/13414"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/13414" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="292" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 08-20-09, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

beat ya! lol
Old 08-20-09, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great trailer; I love the look of the film. CGI seems like it could be questionable. They really just need to release this goddamn thing already.
Old 08-20-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the first foot and hand transform shots were quite good. We shall see...
Old 08-20-09, 11:08 AM
Banned

DIE!!! SuckaMC!

Yeah, the hand and foot stuff looked good and kinda uncomfortably creepy in the physical since. I never want to see fingers THAT awkward ever again. *shudder*
Old 08-20-09, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<object width="400" height="327" id="uvp_fop"><param name="movie" value="http://l.yimg.com/cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/fop/embedflv/swf/fop.swf"></param><param name="flashVars" value="id=15143214&rd=eyc-off&ympsc=&postpanelEnable=1&prepanelEnable=1&infopanelEnable=1&carouselEnable=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed height="327" width="400" id="uvp_fop" allowscriptaccess="always" src="http://l.yimg.com/cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/fop/embedflv/swf/fop.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="id=15143214&rd=eyc-off&ympsc=&prepanelEnable=1&infopanelEnable=1"></embed></object>

i'll admit...doesn't look all that bad. i was expecting the worst.
Old 08-20-09, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good to me. He seems to be standing upright in all the shots. Maybe the talk of them having him on all fours didn't happen afterall.
Old 08-20-09, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Actually looks decent.
Old 08-20-09, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Wow that looks like a classy flick.
Old 08-20-09, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
beat ya! lol
Cosmic Bus beat you. He even had it in HD.
Old 10-08-09, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw a test screening of the flick tonight. Was told that we were the first audience getting a look at the film. Most of the audience came to the same agreement at the end of the film: it was really boring. I can't remember the last time I've sat through a movie and been so utterly goddamn bored through it.

I've never been a big werewolf movie fan, the only three entries in the genre that I like are The Howling, An American Werewolf in London and Dog Soldiers.

This has none of the fun, but at least quadruple the gore. I would be surprised if the version we saw tonight passes the MPAA with an R. The scenes where there is dedicated werewolf carnage are actually quite fun and entertaining. Innocent people are just ripped to shreds with gallons of blood being pumped out. Sadly, the action sequences only constitute around ten minutes of the film's 110-minute running time. During the remainder of the time, we get a very loose and thin resemblance of narrative storytelling. I get that this was a rough cut, but it's been a while since I've seen a film with such a poor narrative structure. Scenes are placed within the film for no rhyme or reason. It feels the footage is only there to fulfill a running time that surpasses the 1941's 70-minutes. The remake doesn't actually need to be any longer than 70-minutes and if Universal cut out a lot of the fat, this film may be salvageable.

The weak storytelling is what hurts the film. The plot comes in and out as it pleases and Johnston thinks it would be interesting to throw in weird dream sequences. While they're nice to look at, this isn't a Lynch film and it hurts the film just as much as the filler. The cast isn't of any support as well. Hugo Weaving seems to be the only one here trying whereas everyone else seems very out of place.

This may be the first big-budget disaster of 2010, that is if Universal doesn't delay it until 2011.

The most entertaining part of my experience tonight was the fight my friend and I got into with a gentleman sitting behind us as we were filling out the questionnaire. We were joking with the people sitting next to us as they hated the film as much as we did and this person didn't take too kindly to our "rough" comments. He obviously thought this remake was the second coming of Christ and just started hurling insults at all of us. Best insult he dished to us? "You must have vaginas." I took it up a notch and fired back, "I actually have two bachelor's degrees whereas I can tell you have none. It helps that both of mine are in English and Film and I can state as a fact that the film was awful and I would've enjoyed more violence and gore. One more thing, I also can tell that you have a vagina and am pretty sure your boyfriend will be fucking yours tonight." He quickly shut up right after the fact. What made matters even more entertaining is he walked out of the auditorium screaming out, "That's how you make The Wolfman!" in which another moviegoer quipped back, "Yeah, but that doesn't mean it was any good." Poor son of a bitch, I feel bad for him that we all ripped him a new asshole.
Old 10-08-09, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Ruh rho raggy!
Old 10-08-09, 10:55 AM
Banned

Damn....I kinda feared that it wouldn't live up to the status of the Wolfman fame. I'm sad to hear about MC. Well...sounds like Hugo Weaving is always doing his good thing. So that's good.
Old 10-08-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No surprise. They haven't been delaying the film so much because it's awesome. I feared this would be a snooze-fest, and from the sound of this review that's true. Too bad, I was really hoping for a kick-ass Wolfman update.
Old 10-08-09, 12:24 PM

I watched the Preview and kept thinking Del Toro looked totally mis-cast.
Old 10-08-09, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
No surprise. They haven't been delaying the film so much because it's awesome. I feared this would be a snooze-fest, and from the sound of this review that's true. Too bad, I was really hoping for a kick-ass Wolfman update.
When Del Toro transforms into the Wolfman (with the exception of the ending), the film is a blast. People were cheering with how much carnage ended up on screen. The problem I had with these scenes is that it lasts way too short. The Wolfman sees no more than ten minutes of screen time.

It blows my mind how they ruined the pacing of the film. When the film is firing on all cylinders, it lasts too short. When the film tries to tell it's story, the film has no idea where to go and decides to crawl to wherever it's destination may be.
Old 10-08-09, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
When Del Toro transforms into the Wolfman (with the exception of the ending), the film is a blast. People were cheering with how much carnage ended up on screen. The problem I had with these scenes is that it lasts way too short. The Wolfman sees no more than ten minutes of screen time.

It blows my mind how they ruined the pacing of the film. When the film is firing on all cylinders, it lasts too short. When the film tries to tell it's story, the film has no idea where to go and decides to crawl to wherever it's destination may be.
Question: how is the CGI? And how much, if any, practical FX work is on-screen?
Old 10-08-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Question: how is the CGI? And how much, if any, practical FX work is on-screen?
Two out of the three times we see Del Toro as The Wolfman, it's a mixture of make-up and CGI. It's too hard to tell as this was still a "work-in-progress."

The third (and final) time we see Del Toro as The Wolfman, it's nearly all CGI and it looks like shit.
Old 10-08-09, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Wow - knowing this is directed by Joe Johnston who had no problem turning in a Jurassic Park III that sacrificed story and a third act for the benefit of making the film feel like a shot of adrenaline, this is pretty disappointing. The guy knows how to make a thrill ride picture, guess it's got a little too much ambition that doesn't work.
Old 10-08-09, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

CGI transformations? Rick Baker must be pretty disappointed.
Old 10-08-09, 09:20 PM
Banned

He really fought to do it his way too. Alas...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.