Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that you are shocked that haven't been produced yet: both good and bad

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that you are shocked that haven't been produced yet: both good and bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Ever see Thirteen and Lords of Dogtown? The former could've passed as an explicit episode of Degrassi and I've seen better biopics made for television than the latter.

I'd rather see Fincher (again), Aronofsky, Jonze, Gondry, Nolan, Gilliam, and so on and so on tackle a Palahniuk adaptation than let Hardwicke near it.
I saw Thirteen and thought it was mediocre, but not bad enough to cry "that untalented bitch shouldn't be allowed near a camera." I honestly think she's just becoming one of those directors that's popular to hate.

-JP
Old 03-13-06, 04:24 PM

There are a lot of high-profile books that have never gotten adaptations. I am surprised a movie wasn't made made out of Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta series when the series was at the height of popularity. Perhaps big-screen mysteries just aren't seen as profitable anymore. Wilbur Smith's River God was a huge international success,but I've never heard of any plans to adapt it.

And since most really big Broadway musicals get a movie adaptation, the lack of a Les Miserables musical is surprising to me. I guess the non-musical version about a decade back delayed it being made.

Last edited by Ms. M; 03-14-06 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-13-06, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Graphic Novel "The Watchmen"
Old 03-13-06, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Catcher in the Rye
Old 03-14-06, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jon2
I'd like to see good, faithful-to-the-original-source-material adaptations of SF stories/novels, instead of the self-indulgent, so-called "original" expressions of creativity crap that so many are intent on pushing on movie goers.

Rather than creating his Star Wars hodge-podge universe of pale imitations (lifted almost whole cloth from various pop culture sources), Lucas should have adapted E. E. "Doc" Smith's Lensmen or Skylark series of classic space-opera.

If only Peter Jackson would do for SF (Kong doesn't count) what he did for fantasy with the Rings trilogy.

I can't imagine anything cooler than EE Doc Smith's Skylark turned into a movie

These days it seems like sci-fi means "blow sh** up in a futuristic setting".
Sci-fi could use a Peter Jackson.

Lastly, why not another good serious fantasy movie besides LOTR? That doesn't circle around little kids, that is (HP, Narnia).

There's some good material out there. I mean, you're not going to be able to make a Robin Hobb or George RR Martin movie, but how about Shannara movie - the Druid of Shanarra would be a good straightforward movie.

Dragonlance? How about a Salvatore Dark Elf movie - that would be something to see - action and a dark story. Raymond Feist's riftwar - straightforward enough.
Old 03-14-06, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A Roger Rabbit sequel.
Old 03-14-06, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Conan does Boise.
Old 03-14-06, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Good Burger 2
Old 03-15-06, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FinkPish
I'm still waiting for Ender's Game to make it to theaters, though I can't see how it would have worked (effects-wise) being made before now. But, if done right, it would make an incredible movie.

And unfortuantely, I think the quick death of the Ferris Bueller TV show pretty much sealed any future adventures for that character.
Yeah, I've been shocked that they haven't tried to force it through before. The special effects and the ages of the characters is rough for production though (even with making them 10-12). I assume that we'll see a movie in the next ten years, but it's been rumored, started production and then put on the back burner so many times that I won't believe anything until somebody starts filming.
Old 03-15-06, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think a lot of sci-fi/fantasy novels have been optioned off by movie companies, but somehow...never get through development hell. Enders Game is an example of one. Orson Scott Card has a script ready-to-go, but it never seems to get made. The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant is another one. Donaldson has said time and time again that he's sold (or leased, perhaps) the movie rights, but it includes his "okay," and therefore, never really takes off.

There are a few long-term fantasy projects in development (HP, Narnia, Eragon, etc), but most focus on younger crowds. My guess is that the general adult audience won't buy into a recent fantasy franchise (thus the marketing toward kids). So...I think we're forced to think to classics - LoTR, Shanarra, Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, etc. One down...yet so many to go....
Old 03-15-06, 06:33 PM

Sequel ideas that I am surprised have never been made:

South Park 2
Three Men and a Teenager
History of the World Part 2
From Clay to Ruben (sequel to From Justin to Kelly)
Demolition Man 2
Waiting to Inhale (obviously starring Whitney Houston)
Private Benjamin 2
Three Amigos 2
Forrest Gump 2
Ghostbusters 3
Old 03-17-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Originally Posted by Ms. M
And since most really big Broadway musicals get a movie adaptation, the lack of a Les Miserables musical is surprising to me. I guess the non-musical version about a decade back delayed it being made.
When I saw Les Mis back in the early 90's, I distinctly remember an ad in the program of the picture of Cosette used to advertise the show holding a pair of movie tickets. The copy indicated the movie version would be out within a few years. Always wondered what happened to that...
Old 03-17-06, 09:46 AM

Enders Game is an example of one. Orson Scott Card has a script ready-to-go, but it never seems to get made.
I have always thought this would be GREAT as animation.
Old 03-17-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shannara and relaunch Movie/TV show for Knight Rider, there is some potential there take out the cheese and make use of some great story elements.
Old 05-03-13, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Movies that you are shocked that haven't been produced yet: both good and bad

Couldn't find a thread in movies so I put it in here.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0OHtH_RWnZE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-03-13, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Movies that you are shocked that haven't been produced yet: both good and bad

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...e-movie-2.html
Old 05-03-13, 03:04 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by cornbetts
Waiting to Inhale (obviously starring Whitney Houston)
This one has been greenlighted. I wonder what the holdup is?
Old 05-03-13, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks
Old 05-03-13, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
This one has been greenlighted. I wonder what the holdup is?
Where have you been? Whitney's currently in prison for tax evasion.
Old 05-03-13, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Where have you been? Whitney's currently in prison for tax evasion.
That's Denzel. Whitney has obligations to American Idol for a few more weeks, then maybe?
Old 05-03-13, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey

I can't imagine anything cooler than EE Doc Smith's Skylark turned into a movie

These days it seems like sci-fi means "blow sh** up in a futuristic setting".
Sci-fi could use a Peter Jackson.
Two guys in the 1920s build a space ship and go to the planet of the beautiful naked green men and women. The natives recognize their superiority and declare them kings. It worked in Avatar.

Throw in a psychopath/genius competitor who kidnaps the girlfriend, gangsters with tommyguns, advanced alien technology, evil corporate bosses, a planet of savants with long beards and white robes, spaceships a mile in diameter, and an intergalactic space battle fought at a distance of hundreds of lightyears . . . what could be cooler?

But, sadly, the movie John Carter showed how Hollywood can even screw up a basic 1920s science fiction premise like a planet of beautiful naked green women.
Old 05-03-13, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cornbetts
Three Men and a Teenager
This one doesn't surprise me because the careers of the three men cooled off (even long before the post was made).

What does kind of surprise me is that we haven't had another remake yet.
Old 05-03-13, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Homeless, Alone
Old 05-03-13, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

More HBO presidential biographies.
Old 05-04-13, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Over the Hedge II?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.