Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Does OAR matter if the movie never went to theatres?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Obviously, this forum very much lives and dies by the Original Aspect Ratio. But I ask you, if the director has no real preference and the movie was never shown theatrically or presented in anyway before the DVD release..would OAR matter? How would we even know what it is? Hmm...
Old 03-02-06, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I can't really see a director having no preference...
Old 03-02-06, 03:38 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
My thoughts as well. Shots are framed by the OAR.
Old 03-02-06, 03:38 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fumanstan
Exactly. It was certainly shot with a particular AR in the director's mind. So I'd say, yes, it matters.
Old 03-02-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Oh, I'm pretty sure it's happened.. I can't imagine somebody doing a direct-to-video part 6 or 7 to an already dead franchise putting much thought or care into the integrity of their shots.
Old 03-02-06, 03:49 PM

To answer your question, no, the OAR doesn't matter if there is no OAR. However, if the director is like most and actually had a vision during filming and framed his shots in a particular way, then yes I'd like to see the movie in that aspect ratio. Part of moviegoing for me is having the opportunity to see another person's vision, and I wouldn't want that vision comprimised in any way. If there is a preferred aspect ratio (be it by the director in framing the shots, or whomever), then that's what I want to see. If the director just pointed and shot with no framing of any sort in mind, then I guess the aspect ratio wouldn't make all that much of a difference.

-JP
Old 03-02-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Obviously, this forum very much lives and dies by the Original Aspect Ratio. But I ask you, if the director has no real preference and the movie was never shown theatrically or presented in anyway before the DVD release..would OAR matter? How would we even know what it is? Hmm...
Well, in that case I guess the Original Aspect Ratio would be what ever aspect ratio it was originally presented in.
Old 03-02-06, 03:51 PM

I don't see what being in the theaters has to do with it. Unless it's some incredibly lazy director, he/she shot the film with framing in mind. That vision exists whether the movie is shown on a theater screen or on a 13in television.
Old 03-02-06, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Even forgetting the director, any cinematographer is going to try and keep the actors and action "in frame," and whatever frame the cinematographer was using would be the preferred aspect ratio.
Old 03-02-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I work on a lot of TV movies and mini-series, and they are all shot with TV framing in mind, but recently they have been releasing DVDs of these shows with both the OAR (4:3) and widescreen images, which to me looks better, because the TV versions are pan & scan versions of the full widescreen image. The color timing, mixing and print mastering is done to the widescreen images, which are then cropped for TV release.
Old 03-03-06, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
With TV shows nowadays, OAR can be problematic to figure out. With shows like LOST and other major network fair that air WS on HDTV but 4:3 on standard TV, technically both ratios are OAR, since they air at the same time. In cases like this, one usually has to defer to the show's producers on which ratio they prefer and/or actually composed for.