Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Le Samourai/Ghost Dog: TWOTS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-06, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always been a big Jarmusch fan, and consequently Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai ranks among my favorite movies. I was browsing Criterions catalog the other day, and I noticed Le Samourai, which judging by the synopsis, Ghost Dog seems to have drawn very heavily from. I was just hoping some people could provide their opinions on Le Samourai, and if you would recommend it based on someone really enjoying Ghost Dog (and French cinema as well I suppose, Bob le Flambeur (also by Melville) is also a favorite of mine).
Old 02-08-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I highly recommend it. It's a fun movie but not nearly like the synopsis Criterion gives it. It's hard to explain.
Old 02-08-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have an affinity for Noir or French cinema, I'll give another solid recommendation. It's a great film, with a fascinating performance by Delon, although, I don't know if I'd use the term fun.
Old 02-08-06, 12:55 PM

I still have not seen Le Samourai (yes pathetic I am aware) but I do know Jim Jarmusch is a fan of Melville since he has pointed it out. Jarmusch voted for Bob le Flambeur (which I have seen) in his Top 10 Films list for Sight and Sound. Putting these factors together he is probably influenced by Melville in some capacity for Ghost Dog. Just to discuss your point a little bit.
Old 02-08-06, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't seen Ghost Dog, but Le Samourai reminded me alot of The Killer. I'm pretty sure that movie was inspired by Le Samourai.
Old 02-08-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
I haven't seen Ghost Dog, but Le Samourai reminded me alot of The Killer. I'm pretty sure that movie was inspired by Le Samourai.
Woo gets into heavy detail about that in the Criterion booklet.

But yeah, you can see a lot of Melville in Ghost Dog....Even a little bit of Branded to Kill!
Old 02-08-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ghost Dog
Old 02-08-06, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Woo gets into heavy detail about that in the Criterion booklet.

But yeah, you can see a lot of Melville in Ghost Dog....Even a little bit of Branded to Kill!
Well Jarmusch blatantly stole the scene in which Ghost Dog kills the gangster through the piping. Nevertheless, it's a great scene.
Old 02-08-06, 08:44 PM

I enjoyed Le Samourai immensely. I definitely think you should check it out.
Old 04-22-12, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Le Samourai/Ghost Dog: TWOTS

Just re-watched this for the first time in 13 years. Excellent from head to toe. Cliff Gorman and Forrest Whittaker are incredible. The RZA soundtrack is hypnotic. Robby Mueller shoots the hell out this film. Jarmusch hits all the right notes. I need to go on a JJ bender.

4/5

Anybody want to chime in on this underrated gangster/samuraii genre gem?
Old 04-22-12, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Le Samourai IMO is one of the greatest films ever made. Of all the Melville films I have seen it is my favorite. It has influenced many films, from John Woo's The Killer to Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive.
I also highly recommend Ghost Dog. Mad props to all those involved especially Whitaker, Jarmusch & The RZA (Wu-Tang killa beez, we on a swarm).
Old 04-22-12, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I remember laughing my ass off when I first saw the trailer for Ghost Dog, because it looked silly as hell. A friend of my mine was in France and emailed saying that he had just seen a film called "Ghost Dog" (version originale) and that I should watch it asap. It was gone from theaters since it opened in limited release, but I ended up blind buying it on DVD and fell in love with the film. Hell, I even bought a nice hardcover of the Hagakure because of it. The Blu-ray should be phenomenal and here's hoping Criterion score the licensing for it.
Old 04-22-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

Le Samourai is a gem of a movie. It's clean and elegant. I don't think I've seen another movie like it. If you're going to steal ideas, steal from the best.

I like Ghost Dog and The Killer too, but they aren't in the same class.
Old 04-22-12, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Le Samourai is an excellent film, definitely check it out. I'm also a fan of Seijun Suzuki's Branded to Kill, which also served as inspiration. A butterfly landing on a rifle barrel causing a botched hit was first seen in this film.