Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

RIP: Universal Monsters historian David Skal

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-23-24, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,060 Likes on 642 Posts

I hadn't heard or seen this mentioned here but just saw that longtime Universal Monsters historian David Skal was killed in a car accident on 1-1-24.

He did some great books, interviews and commentaries about monster movie history. He had a great voice for it in my opinion and have always enjoyed his enthusiasm for this stuff.

Monsters and Meaning: Remembering Horror Historian David J. Skal - Rue Morgue (rue-morgue.com)

Old 01-23-24, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,819 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Re: RIP: Universal Monsters historian David Skal

Oh no! I enjoyed reading The Monster Show and his work in general. Sucky way to die, too. RIP
Old 01-23-24, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 477 Likes on 314 Posts

I learned a lot from his work.
Old 01-23-24, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 602 Likes on 444 Posts

Ditto. Also have the Monster Show book, and had Hollywood Gothic for ages before finally letting it go. Honestly, a sizeable portion of the current contingent of movie commentators often reeeeaaally makes me long for the work done by folks from his generation instead – Skal, Gregory Mank, Tom Weaver (minus his stupid politics), Alain Silver, Tony Rayns, Eddie Muller, Alan Rode, Donald Richie, Stephen Prince, Toby Roan, David Del Valle, and probably a bunch of others I'm forgetting right now. Most of these guys pre-dated the internet era, and wrote books, taught classes, and hosted fests and programs that involved actually talking to and befriending the then-surviving people who made a lot of classic cinema.

Now we're in an era where most contemporary filmmakers do their own commentaries — for better and for worse — and a lot of the supposedly unpaid 'experts' simply coral extant info and (increasingly deceptively, filmographies) from the internet, social media, and/or old books and articles by the likes of these predecessors into something the boutique labels can call a 'value-add' when they don't have much else available or aren't willing to pay to source legacy supplements.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brian T:
cultshock (01-24-24), Spiderbite (01-23-24)
Old 01-24-24, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,188 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Oh that sucks. I'm also a fan of his Monster Show book and still have an old copy of it in my library.