Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Funny one liners from the audience?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Funny one liners from the audience?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-06, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
During the trailer of Episode Three, there was a loud applause from the geeks in the theater. Then I said, "Too bad its going to suck." Then there was laughter and a bigger applause.
Old 01-07-06, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jippy
I remember seeing "The Hidden" back in my high school days. There was a scene near the end of the film where Kyle McLachlan's character was chasing the villian down a hallway of some building. The film cuts to a brief shot of a blood trail going to a closed door, and I just blurted out "He's in there!". Much applause and laughter from the audience.
Oh that is funny. Good show.
Old 01-07-06, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by grendel824
Man... some people just CAN'T pay attention to the thread, can they?

Anyway, I was seeing the special edition of Return of the Jedi with a friend, and when Yoda dies, some kid a couple rows up starts wailing. After only a few beats of this, my friend yells out "It's okay - Luke eats him." Kid shuts up, audience starts laughing and clapping.
Oh that is quite good, too. Those one liners are great, I don't know what the complaints are especially if they are good ones. I used to go to this MT Pockets film fest in Wichita and it was encouraged to make fun of the movies and so many people had great one liners.
Old 01-07-06, 07:50 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Went to see Anchorman in a theatre that was about 80% full. During the opening scene when Ron is drinking my friend gets up and points at the screen and yelled "That's a Pabst Blue Ribbon son!". It was funny and got quite a few laughs.

The only time I can remember saying anything during a movie was at 50 First Dates, while Sandler is showing Barrymore the video he made for her. When it cracks on the Red Sox, in a just said "Fuck that."...it got a couple laughs from people sitting close in a huge theatre.
Old 01-07-06, 08:45 PM

A lot of times audience members are funnier than the movie. But I usually go to see horror or comedy, so people shouting things out isn't a big deal. It's hard to remember anything, I've heard so many good ones, but one from ages ago has always stuck in my mind. It was a Stephen King movie, forget which, and a woman behind me is making all the typical horror movie audience comments. Someone is stabbed with an ear of corn, and she yells out with no sence of irony "that's corny!" Not so much a funny comment, but funny that she didn't even notice the pun.

In the movie Club Dread there's an ongoing joke where a character reads a girls nametag, Penelope, as "pee-na-lope". In the commentary the Broken Lizard guys said they went to see Carlito's Way, and when Penelope Ann Miller's name came up in the credits, someone in the audience said "What the hell kind of name is pee-ne-lope?." I think that's the funniest thing I've heard on a commentary.
Old 04-15-08, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Best: At the New Beverly, during a screening of Switchblade Sisters, a couple of guys started to argue about seating. Just as things escalate in the aisles, a main character gets killed on-screen. Some guy from the audience yells out to the two guys, "Would you guys cut it out? Don's dead damnit!" Everyone cracked up.

Worst: Again, at the New Bev, some fat kid behind me kept making REALLY lame jokes during a screening of Cannibal Holocaust. And he kept going "Bbbeewww" (like the music cue that plays throughout the film) all the friggin' time.
Old 04-15-08, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was loudly booing X-Men: The Last Stand once the credits started, and some idiot turns to me and yells back "ARE YOU KIDDING!? THAT WAS THE BEST MOVIE EVER!" I just looked at him thinking, "this movie sucked."

Oh, and RE: "Would you guys cut it out? Don's dead, dammit!"
Old 04-15-08, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
seeing a midnight screening of episode 2. After about 2 hours of waiting. Lights go out, loud applause, commercials start, a loud boo is heard, after that, the trailers start, someone yells out 'We want fucking star wars!!!' Loud laughter and applause is after that.
Old 04-15-08, 07:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Watching the Quest with Van Damm at Universal Mall Cinemark with my buddy Jeff and having a 200 pound black woman next to him going "UUMMM" and "OOOH YEAHHH!"everytime Van Damm took his shirt off and also two black guys behind us yelling out "DAMM, DEY GONNA JACK DA DRAGON".
Old 04-15-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When I saw The X-Files (1998) in a packed house, this teenage girl next to me gasped out loud and exclaimed "It's Armin Mueller-Stahl!" when he showed up on screen. It seemed like such an odd thing to get excited about, I cracked up. Later, right after
Spoiler:
Mulder was shot in the head by the ambulance driver and he's laying in the street
she whispered to herself, "Freeze frame. Roll credits." which made me laugh just as hard.
Old 04-15-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1. When the Star Wars prequels came out, and the Lucas logo appeared at the beginning, people cheered...but there was always someone that shouted "GEEEKS!"

2. During the end of 10,000 B.C., there was a dude that did the perfectly placed "NOOOOO" during a certain death scene...he also did a great job on the warrior voices when all the different silly warrior languages appeared...
Old 04-15-08, 09:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
seeing a midnight screening of episode 2. After about 2 hours of waiting. Lights go out, loud applause, commercials start, a loud boo is heard, after that, the trailers start, someone yells out 'We want fucking star wars!!!' Loud laughter and applause is after that.

Why would anyone laugh? It's not as if it was funny? WTF?
Old 04-15-08, 09:43 PM

The time I remember the most was in the first Jason Bourne movie just as the main car chase is about to start someone yelled "Go Jason Bourne!" Annoying at the time, hilarious in retrospect.
Old 04-15-08, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by grendel824
Anyway, I was seeing the special edition of Return of the Jedi with a friend, and when Yoda dies, some kid a couple rows up starts wailing. After only a few beats of this, my friend yells out "It's okay - Luke eats him." Kid shuts up, audience starts laughing and clapping.
I find this hilarious.
Old 04-15-08, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Zorro when the Dons are getting together, "Don Raphael, Don Montego..." Someone shouts out "Don Pablos"

Yeah not that funny but basically the only one I really remember.
Old 04-15-08, 11:11 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
good thread.

and I'm not for talking at the theater, but if it's by someone who clearly wasn't "trying" to be funny, and really in the moment, I think it's okay. it's like something bigger than yourself takes over, like it was fate.

and trailers are fair game.
Old 04-15-08, 11:21 PM
Suspended

I don't know why but I remember there was a scene in 8MM that wasn't supposed to be funny but everyone just started dying laughing.
Old 04-15-08, 11:58 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
I don't know why but I remember there was a scene in 8MM that wasn't supposed to be funny but everyone just started dying laughing.
the last time I cracked up for no reason was during Dan in Real Life, when the family shows up at the bowling alley. it was supposed to be serious I think, but I couldn't stop laughing for the rest of the scene.
Old 04-16-08, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From an opening day showing of Superman II at the (now demolished) Chris-town theaters in Phoenix.

Superman has taken Lois Lane to the Fortress and is about to step into the machine that will remove his powers.

Someone in the audience yelled out, "Don't do it, Superman!"

From the hysterical laughter that erupted (mine included), I'd say most people agreed with his sentiment.
Old 04-16-08, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great thread...here's mine.

During Spiderman 3 midight showing, when MJ "breaks up" with Peter on the bridge, the theater was super quiet. Some guy in the back yells "screw her man, you're Spiderman!"
Old 04-16-08, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
When I saw Predator a guy a few rows in front of me kept saying "Sheet, dat's infa red, man" every time we were treated to Predator-vision, along with other random nonsense throughout the picture. Eventually, I called out "SHUT THE FUCK UP!" and was greeted with applause.
Old 04-16-08, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to work at a theater and when the Dungeon's and Dragons movie came out, there were all kinds of people who came dressed up for it and were treating it like a big time premiere. Anyway, part way through the movie, you could just feel how upset the fans of the franchise were. Finally some dude yelled out "I wanna see a fucking fireball!!!" and that had the crowd cheering.
Old 04-16-08, 08:16 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Back just before the remastered original Star Wars trilogy theatrical re-releases, a preview of "Star Wars" played, showing all these rapid fire newly cgi'd scenes, culminating in the final SPOILER! praxis-styled death star explosion, at which point, someone very sarcastically, and enthusiastic yelled out "WOW!". Definetely a "you had to be there" thing, but was funny as hell.
Old 04-16-08, 08:22 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Not really a one-liner, but I went to see The Hurricane with Denzel Washington and had a vocal woman behind me. I knew I was in for it during the previews when they showed a preview for Play it to the Bone (the Woody Harrelson/Antonio Banderas boxing comedy) and the she turned to her friend saying "I thought that was the movie we came to see!"

Later in the film, when Washington's character is languishing in prison, she remarked "Well, this movie isn't uplifting at all!"
Old 04-16-08, 09:58 AM

I too have had the experience where vocal audience members made a blah movie into something fun. I wouldn't want people talking during a serious drama, or shouting and interrupting lines over a comedy - but I think horror is the perfect audience participation genre, and shouts and other noise can make a bad horror flick into something fun.

I remember seeing Jeepers Creepers, and was starting to bum out at how mundane it was until this woman in the second row started screaming, "He the Devil!!!" She kept on and it encouraged other people to scream at the movie, and it started to become really fun.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.