Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Funny one liners from the audience?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Funny one liners from the audience?

Old 12-28-05, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw the trailer of whatever Gary Sinise movie came out right after Forrest Gump and yelled out "Lieutenant Dan's got legs!"

Yelling out during movies is annoying, but IMO trailers are fair game.
Old 12-28-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by scott shelton
What about the people who were enjoying themselves? Why ruin it for them just because you don't approve of the movie?
Okay, if ANYONE enjoyed GODZILLA or SHINING THROUGH, please come forward now...so we can mercifully end your time here on Earth.
Old 12-28-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Okay, if ANYONE enjoyed GODZILLA or SHINING THROUGH, please come forward now...so we can mercifully end your time here on Earth.
I enjoyed Godzi....

ok, I can't even type it without laughing. Sorry.
Old 12-28-05, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
During the original release of Alien, a guy was in back of us saying, Girl, I don't know why you don't leave that cat behind and get off that ship. NOW!
Old 12-28-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Durring comedy movies I think stupid coments are fair game. Though for the more serious movies I prefer the quiet. One little commment is not going to ruin the movie for me, annoying as it may be.
Old 12-28-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A friend of mine yelled out "What a bunch of ho's!" during the trailer for the movie "Spiceworld". It's not so much that he said that but more that the noisy theater went dead silent half a second before he blurted that out.

Got quite a few laughs too.
Old 12-28-05, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

xXx... The diologue sound died (music & sound effects still worked) when Vin is snooping around the bad guys place, the next scene was the lead bad guy getting out of bed and answering the phone...

Phone rings, guy picks it up... from the back of the theater: "YO WHO DIS!?!"

Scarface: Re-Release... There was a couple sitting next to me... The woman was soooooo fucked up. Rocking back-n-forth, shaking, nodding off. Thankfully she kept her mouth shut. Then it happened, as Tony's house is being surrounded for the final attack she goes, (Whisper Yelling, if that makes sense)

"We need to leave NOW!"
guy: "Five minutes..."
girl: "NOW! Or you'll regret it!"
the 2 get up she storms out, and as he's getting out of the isle he goes,
guy: "Fucking bitch, I knew I shoulda brought my cousin."

Oh and of course those fans of O&A will remember the "Kathleen, put your God damn clothes back on!!!" incedent from The Graduate play...

Last edited by mikewendt; 12-28-05 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-28-05, 08:01 PM

I forget the film, but there were distractions galore. A baby wouldn't shut up, people were talking, and so on and so forth. All of a sudden, a cell phone rang on screen. Some guy yells out, "TURN THAT FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT ahhhhhhh..." He doesn't even get the word "off" out of his mouth before realizing that it wasn't an audience member's phone. To this day it's an inside joke between my buddy and I. Anytime his phone or my phone rings when we're out doing something (eating, at a bar, whereever), the other will recite that line.

Normally, I'm not one for yelling things out. Movie-going is a community outing. You're sitting there sharing an experience with a room full of other people. As such, you shouldn't play MST3K on their dime. Unless, that is, everybody seems to agree that what they're watching is pure shite. In that case, it's alright, and in the few times that I've been a part of such a scenario, it makes the whole night out so much greater than it would've been had the horrible movie been allowed to play straight to a silent and pissed off audience.

One such experience was with Highwaymen. My friends and I made up about 1/4 of the audience, so it definitely wasn't a packed house...and it seemed that everybody there was on the verge of walking out. Just when I thought the movie couldn't get any worse, the big malicious bad guy comes on screen and, lo and behold, he's in a wheelchair. I waited and waited for the scene to end, but he just kept rolling around on screen in his little electric wheelchair. Finally, I couldn't resist...

"TIMMAY!!"

People laughed, but more importantly, that raw, angry tension that had filled the room (you know the one...that, "I just paid $7 for this piece of shit?" feeling) just rushed out. From that point forward, you'd hear people making little comments within their group. As an audience, we'd roar in laughter at dramatic scenes that were just atrocious. It turned an awful movie into a pretty fun little shared experience.

-JP
Old 12-28-05, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 395 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by DarthVong
A few years ago I went to the theater where they were playing an old movie about the Hindenberg disaster. The moment after the explosion this fat bald guy with glasses shouted "That's gotta hurt!". Hilarity ensued.

That's exactly what I thought of when I saw the thread title.

Damn laser pointers
Old 12-28-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 395 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Wow, there's a lot of unfunny people who post here.
With the exception of the Seinfeld reference, I'd have to agree with you. Some of the things that were laughed at aren't funny at all.
Old 12-29-05, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts
I was at Munich this afternoon and there was a bitch sitting in front of us whose cell phone went off three times in the course of the movie. Each time, it took her forever to get it out of her purse, then silence and replace it. After the second time, I was about boiling and trying to think of something to say should it happen again. As soon as it started going the third time, I blurted out 'If you really can't afford to miss a call, why don't you set that to vibrate and shove it up your ass so the rest of us don't have to hear it?' Got some laughs and 'Fuck yeah' type agreements from other audience members.
Old 12-30-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember seeing "The Hidden" back in my high school days. There was a scene near the end of the film where Kyle McLachlan's character was chasing the villian down a hallway of some building. The film cuts to a brief shot of a blood trail going to a closed door, and I just blurted out "He's in there!". Much applause and laughter from the audience.
Old 01-02-06, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
My friend and I like to rip on the trailers, I can accept that... a well placed line during the movie is fine, but not running commentary. There's a fine line. If you don't want to hear people talking, wait for the DVD. You know what you're getting when you go to a public theater.
Old 01-02-06, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When going to see "Punch Drunk Love" in a theatre in Georgia, there was a commercial before the movie for the Coca Cola Racing Family. Some guy behind us shouted, "Git on it!" is the most intentional redneck voice I've ever heard. The whole place cracked up.

There was also a lot of talking back to the screen during Cast Away, which I didn't mind so much since there wasn't much dialogue there to begin with.
Old 01-02-06, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I went to a showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show and people were yelling out and trying to be funny through the whole film. How annoying it is when you are tyring to enjoy a film and people start yelling one-liners.
Old 01-02-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by H8nXTC
I remember a few of my friends and I went to see Tales from the Darkside: the Movie (1990) on opening night in Westwood. There is a scene where a cat crawls down a womans thought, and I turn to my friend sitting next to me and say quietly "Talk about eating pussy." My friend laughs and then shouts the line out, causing a big roar of laughter from the audience.
Brings to question, what one liners from audience members had you laughing in the movie. I think the most rememberable movie would be Rocky Horror picture show, but there is no other like it.
I certainly hope he's not your friend anymore. He stole your line.
Old 01-02-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess I am weird because quite a few of these one liners made me laugh.
Old 01-05-06, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by mmconhea
I went to a showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show and people were yelling out and trying to be funny through the whole film. How annoying it is when you are tyring to enjoy a film and people start yelling one-liners.
This is funny (only to those that have been to a Rocky Horror Picture Show at the theater). For those that have never been... Someone should start a thread letting people know what there missing. Here in Europe it seems they never grew up seeing TRHPS in the theater and have no idea on what they've missed.
Break 0ut the rice, squirt guns and bottles and the umbrella's.
Old 01-05-06, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Goldblum
I certainly hope he's not your friend anymore. He stole your line.
He's still my friend and since I didn't yell it out, at least everyone got a laugh...
Old 01-06-06, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CitizenFlynn
In War of the Worlds, an audience member coughed out "Bullshit!" when
Spoiler:
Tom Cruise's son appeared at the apartment in Boston at the end
I said pretty loudly something like oh you have gotta be shitting me, as did several other people in the theater. Worst. Ending. Ever.
Old 01-06-06, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At the end of SHINING THROUGH, when Michael Douglas has Melanie Griffith in his arms and makes a run for the border, when he makes it, a pal of mine jumped up, put two hands in the air and yelled "Touchdown!"
Note to self: remember to do this sometime.
Old 01-06-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I gotta say to the people who are offended by this thread: lighten up. Reading or posting on this issue does not mean that you APPROVE of yelling during a movie. I don't yell out during a film, nor do I think it's a good idea, but every now and then you have to admit, someone will say something during a movie that is really funny and sometimes more clever than the film. This discussion shouldn't be seen as approval or encouragement of such behavior, but just a sharing of stories.
Old 01-06-06, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I've never thought talking to a movie screen has ever been funny. When I buy a ticket, the last thing I want is someone talking to a screen. If you want to yell and sound like an idiot, do it while watching a dvd in your house. All I ask is when the movie starts, everybody shut the fuck up.
Old 01-06-06, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Not only did I enjoy Godzilla, I own it on DVD! And I hated Pulp Fiction! Ahh!
Old 01-07-06, 03:51 AM

Man... some people just CAN'T pay attention to the thread, can they?

Anyway, I was seeing the special edition of Return of the Jedi with a friend, and when Yoda dies, some kid a couple rows up starts wailing. After only a few beats of this, my friend yells out "It's okay - Luke eats him." Kid shuts up, audience starts laughing and clapping.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.