Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters (2016) - Female reboot - D: Feig, S: McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters (2016) - Female reboot - D: Feig, S: McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-14, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters III (D: Feig, S: Bullock, McCarthy, Wilson)

They aren't, they're just on a roll and are doing good work. Plus they're in a small group of traditional comedy filmmakers right now.

I think Brad Bird could do work with Ghostbusters III as well.
Old 09-11-14, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, I'd like to see those guys do a live action comedy other then the Jump Street series to grant them some sort of comedy crown. I liked Lego Movie, but that's a little different type of comedy and movie for me.
Old 09-11-14, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah, they shot the pilot of Brooklyn Nine-Nine but as with most TV it's tough to really base anything off that.
Old 09-11-14, 02:10 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I still haven't seen that one. It looked like something I'd like. It any good?
Old 09-11-14, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is excellent and I think its one of the best comedies on TV.
Old 09-11-14, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
First base!

You can't get pregnant at first base!
Old 09-17-14, 10:48 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

This is just getting tired and sad...

With talk of the long-awaited third outing of Ghostbusters still rumbling on and, more recently, rumors emerging of an all-female reboot, original co-creator and star Dan Aykroyd has revealed that he’s hoping for much more than just a one-off return.

Speaking in London where he was in town to promote his brand of Crystal Head vodka, the 62-year-old said that had been looking towards some of the bigger franchise models for guidance.

"It’s beyond just another sequel, a prequel, another TV show. I'm thinking what does the whole brand mean to Sony?" he said. "What does Pixar and Star Wars mean to Disney? What does Marvel mean to Fox?"

Aykroyd said that the entire Ghostbusters team — “the executives, the creatives, Ivan [Reitman, the director] and myself” — were now looking at the next 10 years. Earlier in year Reitman exited the director's chair for the planned 2015 return, although he is still lined up to produce.

He added that the focus must be "not just another movie or another TV show, but what’s the totality of it? The whole mythology from the beginning of their lives, the end of their lives. Ghostbusters at nine years old, Ghostbusters in high school."

Using the Ghostbusters car Ecto as an analogy, Aykroyd said that the entire concept was now sitting in the garage without paint, wheels, a motor or transmission. "It’s up on blocks, it needs new electronics, new everything," he said. "That’s what we have to do. The whole vehicle of Ghostbusters has to be rebuilt. That’s the ambitious thinking that’s going on now. Taking on the model of Marvel where we take all of the elements that are in this movie and we put them out there as different ideas."

Aykroyd also added that he thought the idea of a female-led Ghostbusters was a possibility for the third or fourth film. "We need to write it," he said though.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...source=twitter
Old 09-17-14, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
This is just getting tired and sad...
The franchise is near and dear to Aykroyd, but everyone in the online GB community has always taken his comments with a grain of salt.

He's the cheerleader and heart of the franchise, but his comments are more personal than they are reflective of anything actually happening behind the scenes at Sony.
Old 09-17-14, 11:23 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

come on Dan... it died with Harold Ramis. Accept the fact and move on.
Old 09-17-14, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Ghostbusters was one of those prototypical 80s movies that had a pop music soundtrack, a bunch of schlubs who become heroes by sticking to their guns, evil bureaucrats, and Sigourney Weaver.

I'm not sure that anyone, outside of Aykroyd, really gives a shit whether a third one gets made or not.

That said, I'm sort of surprised that there hasn't been a remake.
Old 09-22-14, 12:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UY-SnTnxvPY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-08-14, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

'Ghostbusters' Reboot Lands 'The Heat' Writer Katie Dippold (Exclusive)
11:28 AM PDT 10/8/2014 by Borys Kit

Katie Dippold, who wrote Paul Feig’s female buddy action comedy The Heat, is reteaming with the director for Sony's new Ghostbusters movie.

Dippold has been tapped to co-write the script with Feig for the long-gestating third installment.

After years of development as a sequel with the intent to bring back the original team (Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, Harold Ramis), script setbacks eventually led a path to focus on a new generation (think Jonah Hill). When Ramis died earlier this year and then original director Ivan Reitman left in March.

Feig came on board to rejuvenate the project in August. But he came with a twist: the Ghostbusters would now be a female team and the project would no longer be connected to the earlier movies but now launch a new series.

Feig is already seen as female-friendly in comic circles; he directed Bridesmaids (which gave Kristen Wigg and Melissa McCarthy career breakouts), and then The Heat, which starred McCarthy and Sandra Bullock.

Dippold’s hiring will buttress the female voice as the script is rehauled. She recently finished penning a sequel for The Heat and previously honed her comedic voice working on NBC’s Parks and Recreation as well as MadTV.

It is unclear at this stage if this will be Feig's next movie. Feig and his Feigco Entertainment partner Jessie Henderson will executive produce. Reitman will act as producer.

Dippold is repped by WME and 3 Arts Entertainment.
Old 10-08-14, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-08-14, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

The Heat was fucking awful so if that's any indication on the script for this film my interest level continues to drop.
Old 10-08-14, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Ghostbustiers!
Old 10-08-14, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I want a chick version of The Big Lebowski next.
Old 10-08-14, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
The Heat was fucking awful so if that's any indication on the script for this film my interest level continues to drop.
At this point it's just a cash grab. I'm more shocked that this is the direction Sony is taking after all of these years by essentially alienating the fan base that has kept the franchise afloat for 25 years since the last film.

If this is a movie that can appeal to the masses you have something to work with, but with all of the info that has come out thus far it screams that they're trying to appeal to a majority female audience which doesn't make any sense.
Old 10-08-14, 03:27 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

@paulfeig
It's official. I'm making a new Ghostbusters & writing it with @katiedippold & yes, it will star hilarious women. That's who I'm gonna call.
3:57 PM - 8 Oct 2014
Must call it Ghostbustiers! as previously stated.
Old 10-08-14, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the heat was awful? i thought it was fucking hilarious...
Old 10-08-14, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by raven56706
I mostly can't stand Melissa McCarthy. I didn't find that film funny in the slightest though personally.
Old 10-08-14, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

The only people that want this movie to happen are men hating feminists. Just speaking the truth.
Old 10-08-14, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Who ya gonna call? Ballbusters!
Old 10-08-14, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
It was the worst. It had the thinnest of plots that existed just to connect the painfully unfunny scenes between McCarthy and Bullock that went on forEVER.
Old 10-08-14, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by My Other Self
At this point it's just a cash grab. I'm more shocked that this is the direction Sony is taking after all of these years by essentially alienating the fan base that has kept the franchise afloat for 25 years since the last film.

If this is a movie that can appeal to the masses you have something to work with, but with all of the info that has come out thus far it screams that they're trying to appeal to a majority female audience which doesn't make any sense.
I tend to agree. In all honesty though, let's be honest this film has been a cash grab for a long time. I mean if Sony actually cared about keeping this franchise alive they would have done something with it back in the nineties or so after the second film was released. At this point we all know that the only reason they're making this film is that Sony's desperate for a successful franchise, but I don't really think that just taking the Ghostbusters name and slapping it on a film will make it instantly successful.

Especially given that they're changing the formula pretty substantially by going the female cast route. Like I've said I really think it would be better if we were getting a mixture but the group of people who probably wants to see this film happen most and who have kept the franchise alive obviously aren't being catered to with this decision. I guess its whatever I'm sure the film will do okay but I really don't have much interest in it at this point.

Last edited by Mike86; 10-08-14 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-08-14, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self

I do not understand this mentality at all. The original Ghostbusters were all men and that worked just fine. Why doesn't it work with all women? And those men were the A/B-list comedy people at that time...same as the women being proposed here.

I don't get the idea that if it's all men, it appeals to a mass audience but all women automatically does not.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.