Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-06, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
saw this last night.
pretty much what i expected it would be- no better or worse. I still think The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake is better by itself. The prequel just follows the same exact plot
Spoiler:
down to the final chase scene ending in the meat house
with a little more backstory on the bad guys. The remake from a couple years ago creeped me out big time- this one more or less just slightly entertained- i was never scared, and never jumped.
Old 10-08-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was a decent movie. I hope they release the DVD as unrated because the producer said they had to cut 17 scenes to avoid NC17, hmmm what a coincidence. Didnt care much for the reason uncle monty lost his legs but it made sense to an extent. I wont comletely judge it until i see the unrated if it is released on dvd.
Old 10-08-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wick
I saw it today. It's an absolute piece of shit. Stay far away and avoid it like a plague.
That's almost exactly what the guy who sold me my ticket to Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 said to me when I saw it in the theater many years ago.
Old 10-08-06, 02:50 PM

Saw it and liked it ok, although it was pretty brutal and bleak. I was getting caught up in the story until about the halfway point, when a light went on in my head and I thought, "Hey wait a minute... this is a prequel. So none of the Hewitt family can die. And (spoiler) none of the kids are going to be able to get away and tell anyone about the family either." After I realized that, my enjoyment went down a few notches. Definitely a case of "prequelitis."

I have a question about the fat lady who came to visit (SPOILERS AHOY!) Was she a neighbor lady, or a relative? They made a big point of how the town was "dead" and there was no more work, money or food (hence the cannabalism), so were the Hewitts sharing their "bounty" with her? She had to know what was going on, right? She was sitting at the kitchen table with the girl tied up right underneath. And if she wasn't in on it, where was she getting enough food to look like she did?
Old 10-08-06, 03:43 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
That's almost exactly what the guy who sold me my ticket to Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 said to me when I saw it in the theater many years ago.
I love TCM 2, but I HATED this.
Old 10-08-06, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by redskull
I have a question about the fat lady who came to visit (SPOILERS AHOY!) Was she a neighbor lady, or a relative? They made a big point of how the town was "dead" and there was no more work, money or food (hence the cannabalism), so were the Hewitts sharing their "bounty" with her? She had to know what was going on, right? She was sitting at the kitchen table with the girl tied up right underneath. And if she wasn't in on it, where was she getting enough food to look like she did?
I don't think they say if she's relation or not but I'm assuming she is. If not, she's an extremely close friend who's as messed up as they are. She's in the TCM remake and knows what they do.

Oh, and I liked this one. I know it's not popular to say but I really liked the remake and this one was just a small step down. The reason it wasn't as good was because it was so bleak but it was extremely brutal which is what I was hoping for.

Last edited by Bareit; 10-08-06 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-08-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't care for this one, it had more gore than the remake but was pretty much the exact same film (I hated the remake as well).

It wasn't all that intense either. I felt the Hills Have Eyes remake was more intense than this film. But then again supposedly 20 minutes got cut out of the theatrical release.

If you haven't seen this yet, skip it in the theater and wait for the DVD.

If you didn't like the remake I don't think you will like this one either.
Old 10-08-06, 10:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Julie Walker

... this is the most sadistic flick of the year!
and bloodiest.. they must have screened this on a rare good day of the MPAA raters... I was really surprised how much gore the filmmakers got away with.

Originally Posted by Rubix
the sheriff had tons of zingers
the audience I was with was just cheering
Spoiler:
the guy on who was bashing his face in, they were riled up to see his head get smashed into a pulp - which didn't happen.

Last edited by Giles; 10-08-06 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-09-06, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Julie Walker
The film made me want to take a shower afterwards,since I felt so dirty and depressed!

It's one vicious nasty grim flick that is the closet thing to an actual 'grindhouse' film than any of the wannabe attempts made in the past few years!

Of course such excessive nastiness with nary a hint of dark humor to level things out, becomes overwhelmingly unpleasent to view and no fun at all. And the prequels trapings do take away what little suspense could still be made. So you're left with just unrelenting nastiness and nothing more. And it does make you ponder "Why am I watching this? What is the point?".

So view at your own risk,this is the most sadistic flick of the year!
Interesting. And this coming from someone who seems to love most half-decent horror movies. If it wasn't for G. Noel Gross' rave, I might've stayed away from this. As it stands, I think I've give it a chance. I don't have hight hopes for "The Grudge 2" either, but f-ck it, it's October!
Old 10-09-06, 04:05 PM

i saw it on friday and liked it. I was happy with the gore, and how they captured the overall feel of a prequel (showed how each character was made/started things)