Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Did Michael Keaton Enjoy Playing Batman?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-05, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone know? I'm watching the extras for the first two films on the new dvd's. All the interviews with him date back to 1992. He gives you some insight, but he never seems like he's really into the role nor does he seem to have enjoyed it. At one point he seemed kind of pissed off when he talked about how people come up to him and go "Hey, it's Batman." I understand everyone's different, and wearing the suit must've been TOUGH, but it's hard for me to understand someone not wanting to play such an iconic and loved character (I guess unless you just dislike the character/comics/mythology). There are also no current interviews with Keaton on the dvd, which makes me think he didn't even want to be involved.

Conversely, you got a guy like Jack Nicholson who apparently loved playing Joker. I believe he also stated he read the comic books and Joker was one of his favorites. But they have a recent interview with him, probably within the last year or two, and he's just gushing over how much fun it was and that he wishes he could do it again.

So does anyone know? Anyone ever read an interview with the guy when he talks about his experience with the film/character?
Old 10-30-05, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I heard he didn't want to be typecasted so he quit after Returns. Though I could be wrong.
Old 10-30-05, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought he quit before Batman Forever after meeting with Schumacher and hearing what he wanted to do with the franchise.
Old 10-30-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I remember is that he quit after Burton was given the boot by WB.
Old 10-30-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
Originally Posted by Bcolon
What I remember is that he quit after Burton was given the boot by WB.
This is what I remember. As for the extras, he just doesn't strike me as the interview type. Does he ever go around promoting his movies? Maybe he is just not an interview kinda person, resenting every minute of each one.
Old 10-30-05, 11:13 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Does he ever go around promoting his movies?
He was for sure out this year.
Old 10-30-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm disappointed Keaton didn't do interviews for the new set. He doesn't really strike me as all that busy and I didn't think he was that private. The last movie I heard he was in was the President's daughter movie with Katie Holmes.

In contrast, I was under the impression that Jack Nicholson was pretty tough to get to do interviews. He's done a commentary for Something's Gotta Give and isn't shy of the camera, but before this I think the only retrospective interview I've seen him do was for the "Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures" documentary.
Old 10-30-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He was in White Noise last year as the star of the film.
Old 10-30-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Maybe he didn't love the role, it certainly wasn't the grandest actiong challenge in the world. But I'm sure he loved the big, massive paychecks.
Old 10-30-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jaeufraser
Maybe he didn't love the role, it certainly wasn't the grandest actiong challenge in the world. But I'm sure he loved the big, massive paychecks.
I think that's pretty much it right there. Batman isn't a great role for an actor looking to make a name for himself or show his dramatic range. But, in the case of Keaton, the Batman movies are clearly the high point of his career.
Old 10-30-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Brain Stew
But, in the case of Keaton, the Batman movies are clearly the high point of his career.
That depends on what you see as the "high point" for an actor. Believe it or not, some actors are in the business TO ACT, not just make money. And if you've seen Keaton in "Live From Baghdad", you'll know that BATMAN was clearly not "the high point" - unless you're looking strictly from a profit point of view.
Old 10-30-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
That depends on what you see as the "high point" for an actor. Believe it or not, some actors are in the business TO ACT, not just make money. And if you've seen Keaton in "Live From Baghdad", you'll know that BATMAN was clearly not "the high point" - unless you're looking strictly from a profit point of view.
I wasn't saying that actors are in the business to make money. I think that Michael Keaton really wants to be a serious actor. Unfortunately, he has picked some real duds throughout his career (commericially and critically). Other than Batman (and Beetlejuice to an extent) I haven't seen him in any roles that impressed me incredibly.

That's probably why he resents Batman somewhat. Really one the biggest successes of his career, but it is shallow and superficial.
Old 10-30-05, 03:50 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts
I could go for a Johnny Dangerously or a Beetle Juice followup. Seriously.
Old 10-30-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

By the way, I haven't seen Live from Baghdad - and wasn't aware of its existence until now - so I'll have to take your word for it.
Old 10-30-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

"How can one not like looking this fucking cool...

...besides, I got to be straddled and licked by Michelle Pfeiffer. Not a bad gig, if you ask me. Did you check out my Bat-Boner in that scene?"

Old 10-30-05, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I saw an interview with him several years ago and he was pretty clear about not liking interviews, not wanting his personal life private, etc. He was especially protective of his son (or daughter, I forget). I think he also tends to see himself more as an "actor" rather than an "entertainer" if that makes sense.

I think of it like Pearl Jam deciding to suck after the album Ten so that they could prove that they were serious about the music rather than being popular.
Old 10-30-05, 10:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
He was in White Noise last year as the star of the film.
And what does that mean exactly?
Old 10-30-05, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by Legolas
And what does that mean exactly?
It means that if you read the thread, he was responding to say that Michael Keaton has been in a movie since First Daughter. (the post right above his)
Old 10-31-05, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts
When he's on Letterman, he still jokes and talks about having played Batman.
Old 10-31-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
I remember an interview he did just before Batman Forever went into production in which he stated that doing Batman was fun but doing Batman Returns "began to feel like work" (more of the same) so he opted not to do any more Batman films after that. So, he did enjoy being Batman the first time around but after that he grew bored with it.
Old 10-31-05, 09:31 AM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I think of it like Pearl Jam deciding to suck after the album Ten so that they could prove that they were serious about the music rather than being popular.
I.O.U. one throat-punch.
Old 10-31-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
...and all this time I thought they always sucked..
Old 10-31-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
I wasn't saying that actors are in the business to make money. I think that Michael Keaton really wants to be a serious actor. Unfortunately, he has picked some real duds throughout his career (commericially and critically). Other than Batman (and Beetlejuice to an extent) I haven't seen him in any roles that impressed me incredibly.

That's probably why he resents Batman somewhat. Really one the biggest successes of his career, but it is shallow and superficial.

He's done some pretty broad stuff -- he's excellent in Clean and Sober, Dream Team and Pacific Heights just to name a few others. He just had a knack for comedy and early in his career he got typecast as the goofball everyman.

He's always been one of my favorite actors and I think it's horrific that he has to take roles like White Noise and Herbie: FL just to get work nowadays.
Old 10-31-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was under the impression that he left the franchise whem Tim Burton left, they seemed like they liked working as a team.
Old 10-31-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dogmatica
I.O.U. one throat-punch.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.