Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Continuity problems with sequels...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-07, 08:25 PM
JIF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aside from the James Bond series, do you know of any sequels that totally broke the continuity of its predecessor(s)?

When I was a kid, I was completely confused by the opening of SUPERMAN II. Non killing a guard and General Zod breaking a crystal to reveal the council before their exile to the Phantom Zone totally didn't match what happened in SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE.

This frustrated me until I read about the Donner firing and Brando's lost scenes on the internet many years later.

Another sequel continuity problem happens in STAR TREK: GENERATIONS.

Spoiler:
After Scotty and Chekov witness Kirk's supposed death in the film's opening, why would Scotty think that Kirk himself sent the Enterprise to rescue him in an episode of STAR TREK: TNG? Did he forget that Kirk died more than 75 years earlier?

Can you think of anymore continuity errors with sequels?

Last edited by JIF; 02-12-07 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-12-07, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Porky's II The Next Day

If this is suppose to be the next day, then how come Mickey and Tim who got the shit beat out of them the day before (in Porky's) no longer even have a scratch. I remember one of them (the cops brother) even being on crutches.
Old 02-12-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Highlander is the obvious answer. There shouldn't have been any sequels.
Old 02-12-07, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Friday the 13th and Halloween franchises have numerous continuity errors.
Old 02-12-07, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Evil Dead 2 opens up with a recap of the events in the first film that don't actually match up with what happens in the first one.
Old 02-12-07, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by mrhan
Highlander is the obvious answer. There shouldn't have been any sequels.
And each sequel not only negates the end of the first but also manages to negate the entirety whichever film (or series, in the case of Highlander: Endgame) directly precedes it. Althought it seems that Highlander: The Source will only negate all but Highlander: Endgame (if it's ever released).
Old 02-12-07, 11:35 PM
Banned

Evil Dead 2 opens up with a recap of the events in the first film that don't actually match up with what happens in the first one.
They do actually match up with the events of the first film in a condensed and simplified "Cliff's Notes" kinda way.

Look at it this way: the only elements incorporated into the recap of the previous film in "Evil Dead 2" are the events necessary to the plot. The characters of Scotty, Cheryl and Shelly never appear in "Evil Dead 2" so they were left out of the recap. Ash and Linda to recur into the second night at the cabin so the recap only covers them.

Anyways, one sequel continuity error that bugged me as a kid was in "Home Alone 2" when they constantly refer to it as occurring the year after the first film while Kevin's stated age is two years older than the previous film.
Old 02-13-07, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
They do actually match up with the events of the first film in a condensed and simplified "Cliff's Notes" kinda way.
No, they don't.
Spoiler:
Even if you ignore the dissappearance of Scotty, Cheryl and Shelly, there are still continuity problems. For example, Ash goes to the broken bridge a second time in the movie (did he forget it was broken?). Also, Ash burns the Necronomicon at the end of the first movie, yet it's intact in the 2nd.

Army of Darkness also has a few continuity errors with the previous films.
Spoiler:
Of course, Scotty, Cheryl and Shelly ate still completely eliminated from the recap, but so are all the characters from the 2nd film. Ash says in the recap that the Evil is what caused the time warp, when it was really a spell he and the girl enacted to get rid of the evil. Ash gets so scared in ED2 that a streak of white appears in his hair, and still appears in the recap, but vanishes when he appears in the past. Speaking of the past, the ending of ED2 does not line up with the beginning of AOD. In ED2, Ash is almost instantly hailed as a hero when he appears in the past, while at the beginning of AOD he is mistaken for an enemy and enslaved.
Old 02-13-07, 10:42 AM
Banned

Even if you ignore the dissappearance of Scotty, Cheryl and Shelly, there are still continuity problems. For example, Ash goes to the broken bridge a second time in the movie (did he forget it was broken?). Also, Ash burns the Necronomicon at the end of the first movie, yet it's intact in the 2nd.
It's obvious you haven't paid much attention to "Evil Dead 2".

First of all, the Book of the Dead is only intact within the recap itself. The whole idea of Annie and Ed having to bring additional pages of the book to the cabin apparently went over your head.

Secondly, Ash's return to the bridge is somewhat reasonable considering that his first attempt was at night when it was dark. I'm pretty sure somebody who was trying to flee an evil force that killed his 4 friends would probably try to utilize the daylight to survey the damage and/or try to find another way to cross.

You can literally edit one long "Evil Dead" movie by removing the "Evil Dead 2" recap and beginning it immediately as the first film ends. You can do it with "Army of Darkness" too but you have to lose the "Evil Dead 2" ending too but that's because there is no reconciling the end of "Evil Dead 2" with the beginning of "Army of Darkness".
Old 02-13-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If the people making these movies don't think this is important, why do you?

I can't think of anything sadder than a guy compiling the inconsistencies within the Freddy Krueger mythology.
Old 02-13-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Donald Pleasence shoots Michael Myers SEVEN times at the beginning of HALLOWEEN II, but in HALLOWEEN, he shoots him SIX times.

What is this world coming to????
Old 02-13-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
No, they don't.
Spoiler:

Army of Darkness also has a few continuity errors with the previous films.
Spoiler:
Of course, Scotty, Cheryl and Shelly ate still completely eliminated from the recap, but so are all the characters from the 2nd film. Ash says in the recap that the Evil is what caused the time warp, when it was really a spell he and the girl enacted to get rid of the evil. Ash gets so scared in ED2 that a streak of white appears in his hair, and still appears in the recap, but vanishes when he appears in the past. Speaking of the past, the ending of ED2 does not line up with the beginning of AOD. In ED2, Ash is almost instantly hailed as a hero when he appears in the past, while at the beginning of AOD he is mistaken for an enemy and enslaved.
The answer to all this: Ash is recounting the story to someone else, and Ash is stupid.
Old 02-13-07, 12:14 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
According to Star Wars fans, there are NO continuity problems between all the sequels and prequels. NONE. Also, Lucas had everything planned word-for-word from the beginning. No "making it up as we go along" here!
Old 02-13-07, 01:41 PM

Lethal Weapon was set in 1984 according to the grave of Riggs' wife. Murtaugh has just turned 50.

In Legal Wreckin 2, Vorstedt tells Riggs he was responsible for his wife's death 4 years earlier, yet Murtaugh discusses retiring when he turns 52.

The Rocky series has had similar issues. Mickey mentions being 76 in the first film, yet his grave shows that he died at age 76 in Rocky III despite the movie being set 6 years later. And let's not get into Rocky Jr. aging about 5 years in a matter of months between the 4th and 5th films.
Old 02-13-07, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by ScandalUMD
The creators might think it's important, but no studio is ever going to let a couple of continuity errors stand in the way of making a few million more bucks from a sequel.

Something I've always wondered-- all movies have a "continuity person" whose job is to make sure the actor's clothing, hairstyles, props, etc. match from scene to scene (since most movies are filmed out of order). So why don't they have someone on staff to look over the script before filming to make sure it doesn't contain any obvious story flaws?
Old 02-13-07, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
According to Star Wars fans, there are NO continuity problems between all the sequels and prequels. NONE. Also, Lucas had everything planned word-for-word from the beginning. No "making it up as we go along" here!

Yeah, you and I both know that's a bunch of baloney.

I'm sure he wanted Luke and Leia to incestiously kiss all along.
Old 02-13-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it involves time travel, it's certainly wide open for problems.

The Terminator series is a good example. T3 shouldn't have come after T2. According to the movie.

Of course, in T2, once they destroy the arm and the chip, Arnold should have evaporated or the universe should have imploded because his existence should have ended once the stuff that informed his creation (the arm and the leg).

Then again, time travel isn't real.

I feel as if somehow there's got to be a problem in the Jurassic Park series
Old 02-13-07, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by ScandalUMD

I can't think of anything sadder than a guy compiling the inconsistencies within the Freddy Krueger mythology.

The people making these movies give more consideration to how easy it is to film, how to quickly recap events from the first movie for those who have forgotten without boring those who haven't forgotten, plus some outright don't care.

That some people pay attention to these things isn't necessarily a bad thing either. Some folks just pick up details. If their job needs them to do that (say medicine, nuclear reactor operator), then sometimes it's hard for them to turn it off.

There are also cases where the filmmakers make a concious decision to ignore previous events, such as in the case of Scotty being in Star Trek Generations. The producers and writers had Doohan available, but knew about the line in Relics. They made the concious decision to include Scotty because he's such a fan favorite. If you want an explanation, I think most fans agree that Scotty actually got a little scrambled from sitting in the transporter buffer for so long, even with the diagnostic loop going, and his first instinct was to think it was Kirk that saved him. Later in the ep, when he's really depressed in the holodeck, it seems a little melodramatic for just feeling "useless", so he's probably been reminded of Kirk's death at that point, and is just feeling overall crappy.
Old 02-13-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pdinosaur

The Terminator series is a good example. T3 shouldn't have come after T2. According to the movie.

Of course, in T2, once they destroy the arm and the chip, Arnold should have evaporated or the universe should have imploded because his existence should have ended once the stuff that informed his creation (the arm and the leg).
You mean the arm and the chip.

But anyway, I'd argue that Arnold simply vanishing after the stuff was destroyed would be far sillier and cause an ever bigger "Huh?" when it comes to discussing time travel and paradoxes.

He had to exist to help destroy the other terminators parts. If he simply vanished because of his actions then he would never be created to help destroy the parts and that lead to his vanishing.

Plus it allows for the more emotional ending we get in the movie.

There is, they made the 3rd movie.
Old 02-13-07, 04:25 PM

How about the biggest continuity problem of them all:

In the James Bond series, Q gets older, but the Bonds get younger.
Old 02-13-07, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Except for the fact that Luke still would be "who the fuck are you?" to Hayden's spirit.
Old 02-13-07, 07:40 PM
JIF

Originally Posted by pdinosaur

Then again, time travel isn't real.

After John Connor threw the arm and the chip in the molted steel, I immediately thought, hey what about the arm that Arnold left in the gears of that machine? You know, the arm that he pried off with the help of that steel bar so that he could stop the T-1000 from attacking Sarah and John.

That arm may have been the reason why Skynet was born again.
Old 02-13-07, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
It's obvious you haven't paid much attention to "Evil Dead 2".
I've seen it several times and have listened to the commentary, I've paid plenty of attention.

First though, I feel this detailed a discussion of plot should be spoiler tagged, since not everyone reading this thread may have seen all, or any, of the movies in the series.

Spoiler:
First of all, the Book of the Dead is only intact within the recap itself. The whole idea of Annie and Ed having to bring additional pages of the book to the cabin apparently went over your head.
By "intact" I meant "not burnt to a crisp like it was at the end of the first movie." The extra pages have no bearing on the continuity issue.

Secondly, Ash's return to the bridge is somewhat reasonable...
It's not, and Raimi and Campbell say as much in the commentary. They filmed the return because they needed to show those who didn't see the first film why Ash couldn't just get in the car and leave, so they showed him trying to leave and finding the bridge destroyed. From a standalone film standpoint, it makes sense, but from a continuity with the original standpoint, it makes Ash look like a complete idiot, especially when he's so surprised the bridge is out the 2nd time.

You can literally edit one long "Evil Dead" movie by removing the "Evil Dead 2" recap and beginning it immediately as the first film ends.
You can, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't have continuity problems. The re-existence of the book and the bridge scene would still be there. Plus, your proposed edit cuts out scenes. Last I checked, having to cut out scenes to make a sequel's continuity work means that the cut scenes in question have continuity problems, which is the topic of this thread.

You can do it with "Army of Darkness" too but you have to lose the "Evil Dead 2" ending too but that's because there is no reconciling the end of "Evil Dead 2" with the beginning of "Army of Darkness".
Saying that "there is no reconciling the end of 'Evil Dead 2' with the beginning of 'Army of Darkness' is just another way of saying there's continuity problems between the two films, which confirms what I said. So thanks.
Old 02-13-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
The answer to all this: Ash is recounting the story to someone else, and Ash is stupid.
That only works with respect to AOD, since the beginning of ED2 doesn't have Ash narration. Also, in AOD, that explanation still doesn't explain...
Spoiler:
...where the white streak in his hair went, especially as it's still visible in the recap, or how he went from savior to slave. So it really only fixes one problem.
Old 02-13-07, 10:48 PM
Banned

By "intact" I meant "not burnt to a crisp like it was at the end of the first movie." The extra pages have no bearing on the continuity issue.
You still aren't following me.

The Book of the Dead appears NOWHERE in the film post-recap because it was destroyed in the first film and that is the whole reason why additional pages are brought to the cabin.

As for Ash looking like a moron when he returns to the bridge: it's not the only moment in the trilogy where he looks like a moron.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.