Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jackson's 'KING KONG' - 3 hours long (reviews merged)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jackson's 'KING KONG' - 3 hours long (reviews merged)

Old 12-15-05, 04:37 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sometimes traditions dont make a whole lotta sense. Still I agree people would of complained. In all its a great epic movie that I loved. Ill be tempted to hit 'mute' when it closes on Jack for that last line however.
Old 12-15-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maingon
the guy who said people were checking there watches and getting up and saying the ending was dragged out is crazy.
You're right...it was my insanity, not the fact that people were actually checking watches and leaving...

MATT
Old 12-15-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My thoughts on PJ's King Kong: I think there's a pretty good 2 hour film within this overly long 187 minute valentine to PJ's cinematic youth.

The running time is too long because what we get doesn't really build enough emotional ties to the characters, thus, they sort of just fill up screen time and undercut the momentum of the film. There are scenes on Skull Island that are excessive and don't really impact the overall story that much.

The film is too indulgent in depicting the perilous arrival to Skull Island, while it might have been an interesting exercise to film, there's little dramatic payoff for such an extended scene.

The special effects of King Kong were well executed (but in some scenes he still moves too fast, lacking inertial impact of the movements), sadly, I can't say the same about the dinosaurs (this mainly due to improper lighting of the dinos in fast-action sequences).

I did not like Jack Black's performance in this film at all. It seemed like every close-up he had, he seemed so concerned about not blinking his eyes, which made it appear that he was trying to burn a hole in whomever he was speaking to or looking at. Naomi Watts turns in a good performance, but I still get tired of seeing her never closing her mouth fully in her close-up scenes (I am not sure she's capable of it for an extended amount of screentime). Adrien Brody has a throwaway part, with little background to get too invested in his survival on Skull Island.

I thought most of the musical score while on Skull Island went overboard, being too bombastic in spots where it didn't need to be.

I thought the ESB scene in the end went on and on and on and on. PJ was driven to show every single plane's fly-by over the course of that pivotal sequence.

Whatever Ann Darrow was afraid of, she sure as hell wasn't afraid of heights. No siree, no acrophobia for Ann.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 12-15-05, 05:44 PM
Li

I really liked the movie but I agree, there were a lot of things that could have been shortened.
Old 12-15-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
Originally Posted by Tygan
My wife hated it....but she hated it because she became so drawn into the film and emotionally involved with Kong...
Whatever you do don't take her to the zoo cause she might ask for a divorce afterwards. Well unless you're extremely hairy too.
Old 12-15-05, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw it Tuesday night and completley fell in love with it. I can't say much for comparison because I haven't seen the '33 version since I was a kid, but I'll definitley revisit it.

Perhaps it was the large espresso I had before the show to prepare, but the length didn't bother me at all. I can understand people complaining about a lengthy beginning but it didn't feel long to me at all. Like said earlier, it built the tension as well as some important character backround.

The good hour or so (?) of Skull Island was incredible and quite possibly the best piece of cinema I've ever sat through in a theater. Imaginative, beautiful, intense, and compelling stuff. My only gripe with all of the island was the CGI of the dinosaurs. In the previews released earlier this year, they didn't look so hot to begin with and I agreed with many who had hoped they weren't final. With that said, only the brontosaurus' looked weak. With the initial shots and especially in the chase scene. With the chase, primaraly when they're running underneath the dino's, looked incredibly fake and I imagine it'd be almost impossible to pull of anyways. But it didn't take me too much out of the movie and I was still hooked.

Now the biggest disappointment for me, was not all at fault of the movie. For some reason, in the end scene, I felt no emotional attachment at all. I suppose it could've been part of the length and after three hours I might've dettached myself. I wanted to get into it, I really did, but when they got back to NY, I knew I was just watching a movie... as opposed to getting immersed in it like Skull Island. It seemed, and I may be wrong, that they didn't use as many close up shots of Kong in the final scenes. Those on Skull Island were a huge part in me caring for him because they were extremley well done and really showed the heart in him. But I can't remember one or more closeup shots of him in the ice/ESB scenes.

And as for the final line, it definitley didn't fit. It could've been because I wasn't feeling the last scenes, but I didn't think it worked. I understand how it's a huge line and it needed to be done, but it didn't sound right. It could've used a better delivery, even though I loved the rest of Jack's performance and he did fit it quite well.

All in all 9/10. Best of the year so far. Although I would like to see it again to give the NY scenes a second go-around.
Old 12-15-05, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here are my spoiler-filled thoughts:

Spoiler:

Did anyone else catch the nod to Fay Wray in the film?

It happens early when Carl is in the cab with his production assistant and reeling off possible actresses to fill the role that the original actress left. I think the assistant says "what about Fay?" and Carl says something like "Fay's doing another film with RKO." I think I was the only guy in the theater who laughed a bit at that line in the film.

The stampede scene had severe lighting issues on the dinosaurs. That whole scene did not look good, and could have easily been cut.

Some of the NYC scenes with KK had KK moving way too fast on the screen. Give the big guy some inertia, some heft, some momentum, some action/reaction.

The perilous landing of the Venture near Skull Island wasn't a good sequence, and could have been trimmed up a lot.

Carl's meeting with the money men could have been cut, just alluded to the situation.

Some of the ship scenes could have tossed away with little impact on main story: KK and Ann.

The nasty head-sucker scene (along with those creatures with tons of limbs) could have been excised with little impact on the story.

Now, what did get cut was something I was hoping to see, and that would be how in the hell did the crew of the Venture get KK into the ship. That logistical detail would have been fun to see.

It got really tiresome when KK and Ann would be getting their groove on and some mean military guy would launch missles and bullets in KK's direction. It got cheesy at that point (directorally speaking).

I kept wondering if Ann was thinking "What's the endgame here with KK? If the military would just leave them alone, would they run away together and live underneath the stars?" Their relationship was just odd in many ways because the long-term prospects just screamed "Are you kidding?"

Old 12-15-05, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I thought the movie was excellent, and people were saying the beginning drug on a little bit, but you need to get some character development going so I feel it was fine. Such a great movie though....
Old 12-15-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,064 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Here are my spoiler-filled thoughts:

Spoiler:

Did anyone else catch the nod to Fay Wray in the film?

It happens early when Carl is in the cab with his production assistant and reeling off possible actresses to fill the role that the original actress left. I think the assistant says "what about Fay?" and Carl says something like "Fay's doing another film with RKO." I think I was the only guy in the theater who laughed a bit at that line in the film.

You also did not mention the nod to
Spoiler:
Merian C. Cooper. The guys says that Fay is doing a film with RKO and Cooper. Denham say, "Figures."

I personally thought the film was pretty weak. The first hour dragged something terrible getting them to the island. I guess it was supposed to help character development but the characters are so shallow and uninteresting that two hours of development wouldn't have helped.

The second hour of Skull Island to the capture of Kong was fantastic! If you are going to do a lot of CGI, this was the way to do it. I was enthralled this entire time with the exception of the lame sunset scenes. The natives were great and the T-Rex scene is not to be missed.

Gotta give quick props to the '76 version. At least they had an oil tanker & showed how they got Kong back. I know the '33 version glossed over the capture but a movie made today should not leave such an obvious (and interesting) question unanswered. They copped out.

The third hour (NYC) was dull but not as bad as the first hour. The way they kept carrying on about Ann and the ape...well, I just had to laugh out loud. Others thought it was funny as well. The ice skating scene was beyond silly. I kept seeing a National Enquirer type magazine showing Ann and Kongs picture stating in bold type: HOW I FELL IN LOVE WITH A 25 FOOT GORILLA...Amazing Photos & Interview Inside!!!

Again I have to mention the '76 version. They had a little of this but it was not so overly dramatic or forced (or lame). While everyone reviles this version, I feel that it definitely has some areas that are actually better than this version.

As another poster mentioned...I felt nothing when Kong died. Actually, I was ready for him to get it over and done with since the final scene seemed to take eons.

I know some are bitching about Jack Black's delivery of the famous line but I could take it or leave it. Casting was okay but no one seemed to stand out.

Cut an hour out of it (or more) and everything would be improved. The black sailor & his relationship with the young boy could be completely cut. Trim off half of the first hour & take away the lame "I love Kong" moments. Tighten up the end and you could have a 4 or 5 star film.

As it was, I give it *** out of *****. A solid C.
Old 12-15-05, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

By the way, someone said that there's something after the finish of the end credits. What was it? The cinema where I was at shone light right on the screen and the ushers were shooing us.

Otherwise, excellent movie, though I thought the crew saved the day one too many times.
Old 12-15-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 806 Likes on 595 Posts
I went to the 4 o'clock matinee today. I enjoyed watching the movie. I was getting bored up until the Kong vs. T-Rex battle that was one of the most fantastic scenes I have probably ever seen. I loved Naomi Watts. I agree the boy crew member and the black crew member sideplot should have been completely cut from the movie it lessens the experience. I felt for Kong. You take someone who is a King of his enviroment and take him away. He was one of a kind and they killed him. Jack Black was ok. I didn't really care for Adrien Brody either. Watts and Kong made the movie. I give it three out four stars. If it was a shorter movie it would go up half a star.

I have to admit this was the first movie I have ever been to where people clapped at the end. Some people were even crying.
Old 12-15-05, 10:53 PM

I loved the movie, despite the ridiculous moron who (along with his wife) was commenting loudly throughout the film. He even laughed out loud during Kong's death scene. Makes me want to wait for video even for a film like this.

Anyhow, I have a question. What exactly happened to all of the locals? Perhaps I missed the explanation, but they never attempt to regain control of the area. I suppose this is understandable, but I thought it odd considering how aggressive they were before.

Also, I never saw the original; was Kong their protector?
Old 12-16-05, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by C00Ki3
I loved the movie, despite the ridiculous moron who (along with his wife) was commenting loudly throughout the film. He even laughed out loud during Kong's death scene. Makes me want to wait for video even for a film like this.
i had a similar expierience. Someone said 'that must be a long ass fall" I wonder if there are people who didn't know that this is a remake.
Old 12-16-05, 12:53 AM

I liked the movie, felt it was a B, some stuff like Hayes and the kid were questionable to the plot. But I have a question, was that frozen pond scene in the original?

Also had a similar experience as Rypro and Cooki3, cept mine was a 40-ish guy talking the entire movie, even after I told him to STFU. I wish my penny had hit him in the back of the head as he was leaving.
Old 12-16-05, 02:19 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

it was alright. Dissapointing for sure. A lot of good stuff, but it just didn't grab me. CG dino battles were suprisingly boring for the most part. LIked a lot of the bugs though. I thought the last 30 minutes on the Empire State Building were the best.

I hate to bring it up, but where was Kong's genitals? The dudes a testostorone filled macho beast, shouldn't he have a king dong to show for it?
Old 12-16-05, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by whynotsmile
I hate to bring it up, but where was Kong's genitals? The dudes a testostorone filled macho beast, shouldn't he have a king dong to show for it?
Gorillas aren't well endowed

http://www.icorrection.com/Ana-P/penis.php
an adult gorilla's erect penis is about 1.5 inches (4 cm) in length
http://www.neoteny.org/a/testiclesize.html
The large average size of the human penis (five to six inches, versus three for chimps, and one-half that for gorillas)
http://www.cotf.edu/ete/modules/mgorilla/mgbiology.html
Males cease to grow in size or weight after maturity, but at typical heights of 1.5-1.8 m (5-6 ft) and weights of 204-227 kg (450-500 lbs), they are impressively large animals.
If we take the film's statement that Kong is around 20 ft tall, or about 4 times the size of a normal gorilla, and we assume everything stays proportional, that means his penis would only be around 6 inches long or so. So it's not surprising we didn't see it dangling from under his legs.
Old 12-16-05, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
an adult gorilla's erect penis is about 1.5 inches (4 cm) in length

Damnnnnn...and i always thought i was getting complimented when girls told me that I'm hung like a gorilla...
Old 12-16-05, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was disapointed. I had very high expectations after hearing raving reviews such as Ebert and Roepers.

First the good

-Yes, King Kong is the best digital character ever created. Serkis should be nominated for an oscar, or they should as least make a category for best digital character just for him. How could you not feel sorry for Kong?

-Naomi Watts was also the best Ann or blonde that Kong posseses. She has beautiful eyes and I could see how Kong could be mesmerized by her.

-The natives we're absolutely scary as hell.

-The bugs we're creepy as hell. How about those slugs? Did they remind anyone of living vaginas with teeth? Poor Serkis. lol

-The t rex battle.
-The whole new york sequence with the end on ESB

Now for the bad...

-Jack Black and Adrien Brody. I'm sorry, I just couldn't take Jack Black seriously. Some comedic actors such as Jim Carrey could pull it off, but Black just looks like a goof to me. I loved Adrien Brody ever since I saw him in his amazing performance in Spike Lee's Summer of Sam. I don't know if it's his acting, dialog, or Peter Jackson's directing, but I felt that I wouldn't have missed his character at all if he wasn't in the film at all. What a waste of Adrien's talent. He had more chemistry with Halle Barry when he french kissed her at the Oscars.

-The Length of the film and needless scenes: I'm the type of guy who usually wants movies to be longer and hate cuts just to make a certain length. In PJ's King Kong, the begining is way too long. I'm usually very patient, but even I was growing impatient. The black gentlemen and his intern boy went nowhere. I wanted some closure, at least have the boy character die as a hero or something. It was just needless to me.

-The stampede scene is one of the few scenes that you'll hear me complain about cgi and realism. I know this movie is about a 20 foot ape fighting dinos, so you have to suspend disbelief, but it was just too over the top. I'd buy maybe one or two guys suriviving that, but too many people we're running in between legs like it was nothing.

-The boy character shooting the bugs off Jack. How in the hell if he never used a gun, did he not shoot Jack's character dead? Another over the top ridiculous scene to me. At least in Titanic when Rose uses the axe with her eyes closed, the scene goes by fast and you don't have too much time to think about how ridiculous it was. The shooting of the bugs seemed to last too long.

- I would have liked to see Kong eat and trample more people like he did in the 33 version. I know he grabbed the one guy and ate him, but it seemed like PJ was holding back or being afraid to show Kong mess people up. How does Kong not eat Jack Black's character? At least the 77 version had Charles Groden get stepped on. lol

I'm going to see Kong again next week. Hopefully it will get better now that I don't have the same expectations that I did before. I don't think it will bomb, but I don't think it will break LOTR's or Titanic's record. Not close. My theater only had 20 people on opening day. I just don't see it having that draw despite the reviews.
Old 12-16-05, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

People in my viewing were snickering when KK would throw the blonde women away after KK figured out they weren't Ann.
Old 12-16-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uh...after watching the entire scenes of Skull Island, I would never say Peter Jackson was holding back anything.

I think some are missing the point of Brody's character. He isn't supposed to be the focal point. He sould be overshadowed by a 25-foot ape. The story is about the relationship between Kong and Ann, not between Driscoll and Ann.
Old 12-16-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema

I think some are missing the point of Brody's character. He isn't supposed to be the focal point. He sould be overshadowed by a 25-foot ape. The story is about the relationship between Kong and Ann, not between Driscoll and Ann.
I agree.
Old 12-16-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Also, people have been saying that they thought the "ice scene" was silly but when you think about how, 1. Gorillas are playful animals and 2. How Kong was portrayed as somewhat lonely it made sense. The scene was like a little bit of happiness for him and I'm glad they did it.

I was in a theater that was full and people seemed to really enjoy that scene.
Old 12-16-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Outstanding movie !! Gonna end up as one of my all time favorites I believe ! Seems this movie isn't for everyone though with all the put downs and nitpicking... only problems were the 'believability' of the dino stampede and bug scene, plus how Ann is remarkably unscathed after being slung and whipped around through the jungle...but that's movies.
The ice pond scene was touching knowing what was coming.
Lots of good flinching moments, especially how Kong killed the T-rex's.

Don't know why people just want a pure action movie without any development scenes, guess ADD.
Old 12-16-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think PJ held back much... I mean, Kong RIPS OUT A REX'S TONGUE WITH HIS TEETH! That was incredibly cool.

MATT
Old 12-16-05, 09:26 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by C00Ki3
why didn't you say anything? i would never let that go unattended, especially since it would seriously distract me and keep from my overall enjoyment.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.