Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jackson's 'KING KONG' - 3 hours long (reviews merged)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jackson's 'KING KONG' - 3 hours long (reviews merged)

Old 12-14-05, 05:28 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Really?
yes really. Jack Black didn't play his usual comical, slapstick self. he played a greedy, self-important, "megalomaniacal", stab your mom in the back to get his name in lights man. he did it with a certain charm, a certin wit, and mostly with the overbearing desire to win at all costs! they needed younger to mesh with Adrien and Naomi so i think that discounts Paul Giammati which i think is the only other i could see in this role.

who do you think natrl?
Old 12-14-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott1598
yes really. Jack Black didn't play his usual comical, slapstick self. he played a greedy, self-important, "megalomaniacal", stab your mom in the back to get his name in lights man. he did it with a certain charm, a certin wit, and mostly with the overbearing desire to win at all costs! they needed younger to mesh with Adrien and Naomi so i think that discounts Paul Giammati which i think is the only other i could see in this role.

who do you think natrl?
I don't have a list of actors off hand. I just think his performance was the weakest part of an otherwise amazing movie.

-JP
Old 12-14-05, 05:31 PM

I don't have a list of actors off hand. I just think his performance was the weakest part of an otherwise amazing movie.

-JP
why? what did he do so badly?
Old 12-14-05, 05:33 PM

why? what did he do so badly?
He just wasn't convincing enough for me. Eyes wide and darting to and fro (before they ever stepped foot on that boat, mind you), over-acting where it wasn't necessary, under-acting in other parts, and delivering the film's final line with about as much emotion as a pitchfork. He was just mediocre. Not a performance I'd point to as a particularly bad one...just not good, either.

-JP
Old 12-14-05, 05:37 PM

and delivering the film's final line with about as much emotion as a pitchfork.
-JP
that is exactly why it worked so well.
Old 12-14-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One word: AMAZING

I still can't believe what I just saw. This is a magnificent achievement by Peter Jackson. This is how you tell the story of "Beauty and the Beast." That's what Jackson is...a great storyteller.

For me, the 3 hours flew by. The first act is good. But, once they reach Skull Island, that is when the movie shifts into a whole new level of magic. Skull Island is just an incredibly frightening place. It was like Jurassic Park on acid.

The action was fantastic especially the T-Rex sequence. That has got to be one of the most exciting action scenes I have ever witnessed. The movements of Kong were really incredible. Andy Serkis was great, as usual. Naomi Watts looked stunning in this. She is one movie star who is naturally beautiful. I just thought the whole thing worked.

I just hope the Academy feels the same way and gives this a Best Picture nomination that it deserves. Easily one of the top 10 best movies of the year. I can't wait to see what Peter Jackson does for an encore.

This will definitely require multiple viewings. I plan on watching it at least 2 more times in order to catch everything on screen.
Old 12-14-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
Eh. They were the first "artsy" sounding movies I saw on a list of possible contenders. Doesn't change Kong's chances much.
Kingdom of Heaven is like a poor man's Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. If that gets a nomination and King Kong doesn't, it would be a sad day indeed.
Old 12-14-05, 08:20 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
it would have been a much tighter film if PJ had just excised the whole Jamie Bell character - oh and look he dances too - way to go Bil.... I mean Jamie

I missed the trailer scene where they are filming Anne on the rocky crag screaming and then Kong growls in the distance.

The stampede scene ROCKED!
Old 12-14-05, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just back from seeing it, and I just wanted to say one thing about it for now:

nuf said, more later...

Old 12-14-05, 08:47 PM

oh and to those in the DC area - you HAVE to see this at the Uptown - the imagery and sound are massive on the huge screen.
Old 12-14-05, 09:02 PM

that is exactly why it worked so well.
Oh? Alright, then...thanks for the discussion.

Originally Posted by Giles
I missed the trailer scene where they are filming Anne on the rocky crag screaming and then Kong growls in the distance.
It was in there.

-JP
Old 12-14-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, a more serious post:

I saw this tonight, and I must say, it has helped me appreciate the LotR films and Peter Jackson himself, a hell of a lot more. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the LotR trilogy, but this film proved much more about Jackson, and it is truly set in stone that he'll be around for many years, producing fantastic films, he is among the ranks of the all time greats, and that he is most defiantly not any sort of flash in the pan. Here are a few random thoughts about King Kong:

-It is quite possibly the greatest remake of all time.

-It is a mix of just about every film aspect. You have action, adventure, comedy, romance, horror, and much more all rolled into one. I could see this being a date movie. I could see it being a flick that a group of friends go to check out together. I see the older crowd enjoying it just as much as the younger people. The kids are going to eat it up. I can't remember the last time a film, especially one of this quality, appealed to so many different people.

-I have heard people complaining about the first hour or so, but I really enjoyed that part as well, as it was a great build to the action. I loved the representation of the Depression-era. The visuals from this part of the film were every bit as well done as the Island.

-I loved action scenes, and the CGI was fantastic. It really shows, once more, just how far we have come since Jurassic Park. I viewed Skull Island as a living breathing location, not to mention beautiful. Peter Jackson really brought the island to life.

-The relationship between Ann and Kong in this film, is much more defined and heartfelt, which makes for an even greater sense of love, understanding, as well as misunderstanding.

-All involved gave brilliant performances, and yes, even Jack Black. I could easily see him following Jim Carrey in terms of better, and more serious, roles.

-For a three hour movie, the time just flew by. If anything, it felt too short to me. It's just one of those movies that I was holding on to, not wanting it to end at all.

-It was the most breathtaking cinematic experience for me since the web-slinging scenes in Spider-Man.

-Kong himself was just as human, if not even more so, as the rest of the cast. Andy Serkis did a fantastic job of bringing Kong to life, making him out to be more of an actual character, almost human, with actual emotions instead of just a CGI creation.

-We all know the main story itself, and what can I say about that? It's timeless - it is just as emotional today as it was in 1933.

-This is one of those films I'll go to see once again, just because I don't feel like I was able to take it all in in a single viewing.

-To me, this is the best picture of the year so far that I've seen (I haven't seen many of the Oscar contenders yet though). Like Ebert himself said, it is truly one of the great modern epics.

I don't see why anyone would refuse to see this one. Do you enjoy action and adventure? How about thrilling horror? A timeless romance tale? Heck, do you just love to see movies with great special effects where a bunch of stuff is destroyed? No matter what your taste in film, there is something for the film lover in everyone.

10/10

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 12-14-05 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-14-05, 09:30 PM

this might have been mentioned before, but check out one of the 'animal' crates in the ship -
Old 12-14-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just came back from the movie and i must say

even Veronica from Road Rules has nothing on this.... j/k

this is one of the best movies in a long time
Old 12-14-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Saw it. Loved it. Movie was better than it should have been, and I don't mean that from expectations either. I mean PJ made a damn fine film from something that probably should have been left as popcorn material. Time will tell, but I give it *** 1/2 out of ****. Didn't really need the story of Jimmy and Hayes, but the little passage from Heart of Darkness was downright ingenius.
Old 12-15-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got back from seeing this amazing piece of art at a 9pm showing. There's not much to say, it's brilliant, one of the best films made in years.

I'm slightly concerned it's not going to make what it should though. 9pm showing on opening day at the newest and biggest theatre in the NoVA area, and it wasn't even half full. True it didn't get out until 12:15am on a Thursday morning, but still, I would have expected a bigger crowd. Interested to see the box office numbers tomorrow, as it would be atravesty if this didn't go on to become the highest grossing picture of the year.
Old 12-15-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

and i'll leave it at that.
Old 12-15-05, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JLyon1515
You don't remember a quote starting off the 1993 movie? It's right after the overture.
I'm sorry, I misread your post. I didn't see the quote in the 2005 version.
Old 12-15-05, 02:01 AM

I LOVED it. I thought it really paid homage to the original. My Only fear is that no one will really see it. I went to the 7:30 showing in my area and there were only maybe 20 people in the theatre. Serenity had more on opening night (and as much as I enjoyed that, I knew it had a limited audience). If tonight was any indication, Kong is doomed.
Old 12-15-05, 02:44 AM

It opened here in Tokyo for limited release and people were lining up to get inside.On the 17th is the wide release then we can see the crowd.
Old 12-15-05, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the biggest reason for the small crowds (there was a bigger crowd at a mid-day showing of Syriana when I went) is that it opened on a wednesday. Wait till this weekend, I am nearly positive the crowds will be much larger.

Anyway, saw it, amazing... Just amazing. Wow wow wow.
Old 12-15-05, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
oh and to those in the DC area - you HAVE to see this at the Uptown - the imagery and sound are massive on the huge screen.

For $10 dollars a ticket? No thank you.
Old 12-15-05, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Movies like King Kong are why it is still necessary to go to the movies.

I've seen several of the Oscar contenders with a few more to see, but Kong is #1 on my list. I don't see that changing after viewing the others. Of all the 2005 movies, this is the one people will be talking about and comparing other films to it for many years to come. And now I have a movie to root for at the Academy Awards next year. There will be plenty supporting other movies that they feel moved them the most. Well, you can have 'em. I'll take Kong over them any day of the week.
Old 12-15-05, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Therecanbonly1
I LOVED it. I thought it really paid homage to the original. My Only fear is that no one will really see it. I went to the 7:30 showing in my area and there were only maybe 20 people in the theatre. Serenity had more on opening night (and as much as I enjoyed that, I knew it had a limited audience). If tonight was any indication, Kong is doomed.
Not to worry. A Wednesday opening in the middle of December is not an easy task. This is the type of epic that is going to benefit from almost complete positive word-of-mouth. I have no doubt it will have a huge weekend and will carry on through the awards season. I think this is the type of film that will get those who weren't interested in it to go watch it because of all the buzz. They'll wonder why we're all raving about it and have to go see for themselves.

Universal is using the first Lord of the Rings as a comaprison to this. It opened at $18 million on Wednesday in '01 and made $75 million the first 5 days. This should do similar, if not better, numbers. It makes since to use the first film's numbers since Kong is also a starting point in a new updated franchise.
Old 12-15-05, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Just got back and WOW! I really liked this movie. The story and relationship with Kong and Ann was touching. I mean how could one not choke up when they were on the screen during different parts of this film? Now, normally I can't stand Jack Black so his role in this fit like a glove. Adrian Brody is always cool to me but in this Kong was the "true Love interest/Hero" so Brody's role was diminished somewhat in my mind. Bottomline on that issue is that I didn't care whether Ann and Jack(Brody) hooked up.

I'll wrap this by saying that Naomi Watts was simply perfect for the role. I fell in love with her character and that helped me empathize with Kong in a huge way.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.