Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jackson's 'KING KONG' - 3 hours long (reviews merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jackson's 'KING KONG' - 3 hours long (reviews merged)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kong was pretty good and Black was alright but his ending line was ridiculous. After watching Lord of the Rings and King Kong, I think Peter Jackson is a guy who can make great masterpiece like epic movies but somehow fucks it up a little bit. The movie could have done without the chopped frame rate shots, the whole typing of Skull Island, the black dude and the kid's chemistry, maybe some of the rescue mission could have been trimmed, maybe have Driscoll die in the taxi when Kong smashes it (or passed out and not see him again in the film) and the Heart of Darkness refrences with its oddly placed voiceovers. Without that, the film could have been near perfect (could ask for better looking CGI but we can't get everything we want).
***1/2 out of *****
Old 12-16-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Also, people have been saying that they thought the "ice scene" was silly but when you think about how, 1. Gorillas are playful animals and 2. How Kong was portrayed as somewhat lonely it made sense. The scene was like a little bit of happiness for him and I'm glad they did it.

I was in a theater that was full and people seemed to really enjoy that scene.
I agrree the ice scene was probably my favorite scene in the whole movie. I thought it was touching seeing him have fun and playing with ann.
Old 12-16-05, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598
why didn't you say anything? i would never let that go unattended, especially since it would seriously distract me and keep from my overall enjoyment.
Well, I almost got into a fist fight the last time when an idiot wouldn't listen to my polite requests to keep his voice down, and my girlfriend really didn't want me to talk to these people since they seemed either drunk or crazy. Their level of loudness was so abnormal that they could have been psychotic. I also didn't want to miss the film while I went an complained. So, I just decided to grit my teeth and try to enjoy the film.
Old 12-16-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
Gorillas aren't well endowed

If we take the film's statement that Kong is around 20 ft tall, or about 4 times the size of a normal gorilla, and we assume everything stays proportional, that means his penis would only be around 6 inches long or so. So it's not surprising we didn't see it dangling from under his legs.
I was wondering why Jack's cab didn't scrape KK's nutsack when Jack drove the cab between KK's legs.
Old 12-16-05, 12:36 PM

I thought Carl Denham should have died when Kong breaks free from his chains; the greasy f--k face deserved it. It would be very funny when we see Kong loom over Denham on the stage, Denham then looks up frozen with terror crying out "NOOOOOOOOO!!!" or "AARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!" before Kong squashes him under his foot.

And it would be Denham's spectacled assistant that delivers that famous last line.
Old 12-16-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from the imdn trivia section:

Peter Jackson was paid $200 million to direct this film, the highest salary ever paid to a film director in advance of production.
damn, thats a hefty paycheck!
Old 12-16-05, 04:21 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert
from the imdn trivia section:
Quote:
Peter Jackson was paid $200 million to direct this film, the highest salary ever paid to a film director in advance of production.

damn, thats a hefty paycheck!
that's not correct!

that would put production at nearly $400 million.
Old 12-16-05, 04:26 PM

He was paid 20 million in advance.
Old 12-16-05, 04:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by maingon
that's more like it.
Old 12-16-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the guy who said people were checking there watches and getting up and saying the ending was dragged out is crazy. If people were checking there watches and getting up theres something wrong with them Everyone in the audence at our theater were glued to the screen.
The movie gets an A+ from me. loved it
I guess I'm crazy because I must have checked my watch a dozen times throughout the film. It was an okay movie but not my cup of tea. I'm never seen the original, and I guess there is a reason for that. Just not an appealing story to me. Some scenes were way too long for my liking and the entire group I went with agreed that it could have been done in 2 hours. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-16-05, 07:22 PM

Damn good film, 'cept for the start. Overly long for no reason.
Old 12-16-05, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree they could've cut the story with the young crew member and the black fellow, now that I think about it... it really didn't go anywhere. That'd be the only part of the plot I'd take out.

Serkis's character was fun though, I wasn't expecting a role like that from him, he's a great character actor.
Old 12-16-05, 10:23 PM

The whole crew member and black fellow is pointless. They was the only characters I was glad to see die, just so I wouldn't have to deal with anymore of that pointless subplot..

Does anyone else get the feeling that PJ still cut a lot out? I could forsee a 4+ SE edition DVD easily.
Old 12-16-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow - I loved it!

As was the case with the original film, my favorite parts were those that took place in New York - I was never bored during the first and the last hour, but the action on the island got to be a bit too much for me. Still, I didn't glance at my watch once - my eyes were glued to the screen. Some scenes were a bit over-the-top in their dialogue and acting, but I think that perfectly fit the style of the film. The group of a half-dozen people I went all also loved it (though a few of them commented that it was a bit too long.) The entire mostly full theater also seemed to appreciate it, judging by the very positive comments afterward.

A great film, and one I can't wait to see again on the big screen.

Last edited by Sondheim; 12-16-05 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-16-05, 10:37 PM

This was a pretty damn good movie. I liked it but they could have maybe trimmed the time down a bit and shortened the first act. Anyways im glad i saw it and will buy the dvd when it comes out.
Old 12-16-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cancer Man
I thought Carl Denham should have died when Kong breaks free from his chains; the greasy f--k face deserved it. It would be very funny when we see Kong loom over Denham on the stage, Denham then looks up frozen with terror crying out "NOOOOOOOOO!!!" or "AARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!" before Kong squashes him under his foot.

And it would be Denham's spectacled assistant that delivers that famous last line.

That would have been simply classic.

Saw it tonight. Really enjoyed it. Definitely needs a 2nd viewing to catch everything. The action on the Island was tremendous.
Old 12-16-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingINClip
The whole crew member and black fellow is pointless. They was the only characters I was glad to see die, just so I wouldn't have to deal with anymore of that pointless subplot..
Jimmy didn't die, which demonstrates just how well his character was wrapped up that it didn't matter if he was alive or dead at the end of the film.

Does anyone else get the feeling that PJ still cut a lot out? I could forsee a 4+ SE edition DVD easily.
The trailer for the film shows at least two scenes that didn't make it into the film: Shooting a scene on the rocks on the island, and a quick shot of some animal attacking the crew while they're wading through a swamp.
Old 12-17-05, 12:03 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by Cancer Man
I'm glad that Denham lived. Now he has to pay for all the collateral damage to the theater and the relatives of the folks' that were killed.

Anyways, I loved the movie, and I'll just make some agreements:

+ The whole Kong vs. T-Rex fight scene
+ The bug part (Especially when Lumpy (Andy Serkis) gets sucked up by the leech thingies)
+ Kong and Ann playing on the ice

- The first hour was slow for me
- Didn't like Jack Black
Old 12-17-05, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LivingINClip
Interview with PJ:
What can we expect from the KING KONG DVD?

Well, I'm not quite sure, because unlike LORD OF THE RINGS, and in LORD OF THE RINGS situation, once the first movie came out, then the extended DVD's were like sort of a foregone conclusion, and we were even doing the visual effects for the extended DVD's sort of straight after the film was finished. In this case Universal I think are waiting until the release of the film before they decide what strategically they want to do. The tentative plan is to release the movie as it is in the theatres on DVD sometime in the middle of next year, and there's certainly been talk of an extended cut, but I don't know, we haven't started working on it yet, that would be something we do during the new year. If I was putting in some other cool scenes, we'd have about thirty or forty minutes worth of extra stuff that we could do. There's some dinosaur sequences and some things as well that it's not just drama and character stuff.
Old 12-17-05, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
+ The bug part (Especially when Lumpy (Andy Serkis) gets sucked up by the leech thingies)
Anyone else realize that Andy Serkis has now been 3 characters in Peter Jackson films (4 characters if you count him voicing the Witch-King), all of whom die?

Maybe someday PJ will cast Andy in a role that actually survives.
Old 12-17-05, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

....or 10% (I think) of the gross, whichever is greater.
Old 12-17-05, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked this more than I thought I would. It wasn't without it's problems though. I think whole second act was just too much for me. The original had Kong facing many jungle beasts but it was fast paced and exciting. It got a bit exhausting in this. The first act didn't seem to drag too much and the New York sequence felt about the right length. My other big complaint was how much of a rag doll Ann was. Her neck should have snapped at least 27 times the way she was whipped around. The scene when Kong first arrives at his lair with her was the most blatant. He just kept shaking her and beating his chest. You could feel the audience laughing at it because it was so implausable. The slow-motion crap when they encounter the natives was irritating also. Those are my complaints, but overall it wasn't a bad movie.

7/10
Old 12-17-05, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
That movie ROCKED

And one thing Jackson did which I thought was masterfull

There was a period of about 40 minutes that was WALL TO WALL action scenes.
Jackson let each scene play out beginning-to-end, THEN started the next action sequesnse with a different group of characters. Most movies would have those annoyning 'jump back and forth between the two scenes and confuse the shit out of everyone'

VERY well done
Old 12-17-05, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked it overall, although I hated the leech scene. Made me feel sick, which I guess is the point, but ugh, what an awful way to go...
Old 12-17-05, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterCXtreme

Serkis's character was fun though, I wasn't expecting a role like that from him, he's a great character actor.
"There's only one thing that can make footprints like that....The Abominable Snowman."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.