Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Identify this vintage vaudeville Egyptian dance (!)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-05, 12:14 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this scene in a documentary, on DVD, during the past 10 years. It was early thirties to early forties black and white footage (with sound and music) of a famous British (?) music-hall/vaudeville act composed of two goofy-looking lanky, mustachioed brothers in Egyptian headdress, golden loincloth and sandals, doing a very pathetic "dance like an Egyptian" soft-shoe number (on sand) with the classic sideways gestures and the shimmy, to hilarious effect.

It would have obviously been an inspiration for Steve Martin's "King Tut" number on Saturday Night Live. Come to think of it, I wonder if it wasn't part of a documentary on the "King Tut" mania of the twenties.

Was this in "That's Dancing", some other documentary or as a DVD extra of some other film? If so, it was the weirdest extra I've ever seen!

Last edited by baracine; 09-27-05 at 04:32 PM.