Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone notice all the shooting stars in "JAWS"?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-05, 01:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

the scene right after Quint, Brody, and Hooper are drinking and singing, the boat is getting pummeled by the shark, they go atop, try to do some damage and then when it is all calm again before it goes to the next morning, there is a shooting star that goes from right to left in the sky over Brody's head. There is another right after that shot going from left to right.

Now my question is...is this a known occurrence in the movie and are they real or effects?
Old 07-03-05, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taken from Easter Egg Archive:

After Brody fires his pistol at the shark there are a few night shots. In both, a shooting star is plainly visible (optically added in post production - travelling left to right). This was Spielberg's signature forewarning us to 'watch the skies' for his next movie... ("CLOSE ENCOUNTERS" of course).
Old 07-03-05, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At any given night if the sky is clear and you don't have any extreme amount of light flooding in the sky you can catch a lot of shooting stars.

Or Spielberg was just trying to hint towards Close encounters, E.T and War of the Worlds.
Old 07-03-05, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Catch 21

After Brody fires his pistol at the shark there are a few night shots. In both, a shooting star is plainly visible (optically added in post production - travelling left to right). This was Spielberg's signature forewarning us to 'watch the skies' for his next movie... ("CLOSE ENCOUNTERS" of course).
wow! so it was effects, i really thought maybe it was the majesty of nature. oh well, it was a cool find in my second viewing ever!
Old 07-03-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It was an effect, but the reasoning given isn't necessarily correct. When he was shooting Jaws, I doubt Spielberg was thinking so far ahead to foreshadow Close Encounters. He was already over budget and over schedule, and I don't think he was considering his next film until he finished this one.
Old 07-03-05, 02:28 PM

If you watch some of Spielberg's movies, there is often a scene with a shooting star. It's almost a signature, like Schwarzenegger saying, "I'll be back!"

Last edited by Dark_Sithlord; 07-03-05 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-03-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Catch 21

Curses! So that's why my wish didn't come true....
Old 07-03-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think most of his films have shooting stars in them. Even Indy had some shooting stars in the film. Didnt see any in WOTW... have to see it again soon.
Old 07-03-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
I think most of his films have shooting stars in them. Even Indy had some shooting stars in the film. Didnt see any in WOTW... have to see it again soon.
Yeah, I remember the shooting star the best in Temple of Doom when he's telling Short Round about fortune and glory.
Old 07-03-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I think the shooting star in Jaws is REAL. Steven's put shooting stars in every movie since then (I think all of them) because he feels it's a good luck charm to have them in his movies now.
Old 07-03-05, 05:22 PM

even in "Schindler's List", "Saving Private Ryan" and "Minority Report"? in those i would think the stars would be way out of place.

is there anywhere to get the definitive scenes as to where the stars are in the movies?
Old 07-03-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure it isn't real. If you look, you can't make out any other stars in the sky, even just a couple of really bright ones. If he was able to pick up a shooting star on film, then he should have gotten at least a few of the brighter stars too.
Old 07-03-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought I read in an interview that it was real. However, I cannot recall the source or even guess at its authenticity.
Old 07-03-05, 09:04 PM

I was always under the impression that the shooting star was a portent of bad things to come. From what I understand old sailers and whalers considered them to be bad omens and meant something ominous was going to happen to the ship. That was my interpretation anyway. I could be wrong.
Old 07-03-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think the shooting star in Jaws is REAL. Steven's put shooting stars in every movie since then (I think all of them) because he feels it's a good luck charm to have them in his movies now.
For stars to register on a film frame, a camera's shutter has to be open for multiple seconds or minutes, not for a small fraction of a second. If you ever see stars in the sky during a movie they are undoubtedly a special effect.
Old 07-03-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've always noticed them (and they always looked fake).
Old 07-04-05, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
WARNING: War of the Worlds minor plot point under "spoiler tag"

Dumb asses. Obvioulsy those "shooting stars" were aliens
Spoiler:
burying their ships
on Earth prepping for invasion.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-04-05 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-04-05, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Obvioulsy those "shooting stars" were aliens
Spoiler:
burying their ships
on Earth prepping for invasion.
Don't do that. How is anybody supposed to know that's specifically a War of the Worlds spoiler? (And yes, you just spoiled that part of the film for me - before reading the above, I didn't know what
Spoiler:
the cracks in the pavement
shown in the film's trailers signified.)
Old 07-04-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
Don't do that. How is anybody supposed to know that's specifically a War of the Worlds spoiler? (And yes, you just spoiled that part of the film for me - before reading the above, I didn't know what
Spoiler:
the cracks in the pavement
shown in the film's trailers signified.)

Actually, it's not a spoiler. It's not a critical plot point and you won't miss anything from the film knowing this. I put the "spolier tag" on it as part of the joke. They even show this in the trailers so how anyone wouldn't know is a mystery to me.

Either way, I'm sorry if it caused a problem for you and I went back the put a warning....

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-04-05 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-07-05, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Actually, it's not a spoiler. It's not a critical plot point and you won't miss anything from the film knowing this.
I know, it's just a matter of principle.
They even show this in the trailers so how anyone wouldn't know is a mystery to me.
I hadn't seen all the trailers so I didn't know
Spoiler:
the tripods were buried underground
. Anyway, it wasn't a big deal, having now seen the film.
Old 07-07-05, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Or Spielberg was just trying to hint towards Close encounters, E.T and War of the Worlds.

Also if you look closely the hole jaws bit into the boat was Spielberg hinting towards the giant plot holes in War of the Worlds.
Old 07-07-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mmconhea
Also if you look closely the hole jaws bit into the boat was Spielberg hinting towards the giant plot holes in War of the Worlds.
Old 07-07-05, 11:02 AM

I did not read all the replies but the scene where two shooting stars go left to right has a full cloud cover with the shooters below this which is impossible. Shooting stars as you see them are 10s of miles up in the sky way above even the highest clouds. Ie with clouds no shooting stars can be seen.
Old 07-07-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mmconhea
Worst.
Come Back.
Ever.
Old 07-07-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let's not be silly.

"The shooting star was the sould of the 3 Men & a Baby ghost boy going to Heaven!"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.