Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why did yoda give up?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Why did yoda give up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Emperor doesn't mention Obi Wan either.

I guess after 18+ years they forgot about them. Vader only remembered Obi Wan after he met him in ANH.
Old 08-25-05, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well....i'm glad he took off.....that 64 oz pepsi was getting to me at that point
Old 08-31-05, 03:49 PM
Cool New Member

Yoda had to leave. No Emperor, no original trilogy.
Old 09-01-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Exactly. The real reason he took off was because he had to setup the original trilogy.

I mean, live to fight another day? He went off into hiding after that. I think he even says he's going to go into exile. The only guy who could take on the emperor gives up and goes away. Does he actively try to join the Republic, or overthrow the Emperor, or revive the Jedi Knights? No. Does he tell Obi Won to train real hard and go attack Vader and maybe the Emperor later? No, he tells him to go hide too.

Maybe he saw the future. Maybe he knew that they should rely on Anakin's infant children, that one of them would have a better chance of going up against the Empire. Maybe he figured that hey, if we let this child grow up, then train him in the ways of a Jedi when he's a teenager, maybe he won't turn to the darkside like his father (even after he loses every member of his family and will be older than Anakin was when he started training). Maybe hiding the truth about his father will help him to not feel betrayed like Anakin did, and prevent him from turning to the dark side. Maybe Anakin will, at the last moment, have a chance to redeem himself and throw the Emperor down a shaft.

To me, that was the most implausible part of the movie. If they had the emperor beat Yoda soundly, or if Yoda was perhaps so drained after their encounter that he couldn't fight, that would have made for a much better explanation. Though they still would've had a hard time explaining how the last of the Jedi pretty much go into hiding until they're too old to do anything themselves.
Old 09-01-05, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
or if Yoda was perhaps so drained after their encounter that he couldn't fight
The fight was obviously draining for both, and I think Yoda would have known support would be on the way soon. I don't see what's so hard to believe that Yoda knew that if he re-enagaged, he might be facing more than his tired body could handle.
Old 09-01-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Originally Posted by uhftv
Interesting how in OT neither Emperor or Vader mention Yoda at all, as if they were not aware he existed at all.

I cant think of any times in the prequels where you have a duel and troops interfere. Usually there is a weird circumstance where only the fighters are around. But I'm not aware of any rules where outside forces can attack while Jedi/Sith are duelling. But I'm probably getting that mixed up with "'immortals from Highlander' rules"
Oh I get it! So the Senate building was Holy Ground and Yoda had to stop fighting or something bad might happen!
Old 09-01-05, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588

Ya know, after watching this repeatedly [since it's probably my favorite of the saber battles, "Duel Of the Fates" overuse aside], I was wondering the same thing. However, some people that shop at the comic book store I go to said that in the novel he was doubting himself during the entire battle. Don't know if this is true or not..
I really digged the use of "Duel of the Fates" in Ep. III, and in Ep. II when Anakin was cruisin' on the swoop bike looking for his ma. That song always charges me up!
Old 09-01-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cameron
finally vader gets to duel... do you want to be the jack ass of a storm trooper that decided to shoot the old man, basically saying to Vader...we thought the old guy from Ladykillers was going to beat your ass so we shot him...

You made me choke on my egg roll.
Old 09-01-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How did I miss that post by Cameron?
Old 09-02-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
What if Yoda did go back and got killed by the Emperor and his boys. Or the way around, Yoda kills the Emperor. Talk about a damn plot hole. Not even the fanboys who jerk off to pictures Lucas would be able to forgive that.
Old 09-02-05, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think people just wanted it to seem more obvious why Yoda had to go into exile. I feel Lucas needs to reanimate Yoda's fall to make him seem much more injured so his fleeing will be unquestioned. As for his self imposed exile, he should cut out Yoda's comment to Bail, reinsert Qui-Gon's deleted scene, and shoot a new scene where Yoda decides to go into exile due to what Qui-Gon revealed to him. I think padding it out that way would make the decision less abrupt.
Old 09-02-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by lawyer goodwill
I really digged...
dug

Old 09-02-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Why doesn't Darth Vader say "what's up" to CSPO or R2D2 in Ep V? Why aren't the cool rolling robots with force shields in Ep 1-3 available in the future? Why doesn't Darth Vader think to see what's going on at the hut of his only living relative in between Ep 3 and 4? How can Greedo miss shooting Han from 3 feet away? How does Anakin go from sounding like a skinny white guy to a fat black guy by putting on a mask? Why do the movies change every 5 god damn years? Who the fuck cares?
Old 09-02-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yoda can't see the future. Obi Wan tells that to Luke.

He left cause he knew help was on the way. The Emperor was his equal so he wouldn't be able to stop the Emperor AND the storm troopers.

Obviously Yoda and Obi Wan didn't want to fight themselves and risk getting defeated. Cause if they were gone there would truly be no hope for the galaxy. Yoda knew he had to take things to a higher level. Since it was Anakin’s emotions that led to the situation, he needed Anakin's emotions to get them out rather than face a losing battle against the Sith and their army (hence relying more on Anakin's child rather than themselves).
Old 09-02-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Originally Posted by Class316
Yoda can't see the future. Obi Wan tells that to Luke.

He left cause he knew help was on the way. The Emperor was his equal so he wouldn't be able to stop the Emperor AND the storm troopers.

Obviously Yoda and Obi Wan didn't want to fight themselves and risk getting defeated. Cause if they were gone there would truly be no hope for the galaxy. Yoda knew he had to take things to a higher level. Since it was Anakin’s emotions that led to the situation, he needed Anakin's emotions to get them out rather than face a losing battle against the Sith and their army (hence relying more on Anakin's child rather than themselves).
Hey, I understand why they retreated at that point, I just didn't understand why they didn't try again later... I mean, the Empire just got more and more powerful, and Yoda and Obiwon just got older and weaker.

I know Yoda couldn't tell the future, I was just being facetious. Like I said, the real reason is that they couldn't change anything in the original trilogy. And it doesn't make a huge difference in my life or anything. Just didn't make any sense to me at the time. To me, trusting that Luke would grow up and take care of this mess and that Anakin would redeem himself is pretty far fetched, though you could argue that he was letting the Force work. Like I said, Luke seemed probably more susceptible to the Dark Side than Anakin was (he was trained at a later age, he lost his family, he was rebellious and didn't want to listen to Yoda, Obi won kept information from him, his father was on the dark side... it's a good thing he never fell in love or anything)
Old 09-02-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
To me, trusting that Luke would grow up and take care of this mess and that Anakin would redeem himself is pretty far fetched, though you could argue that he was letting the Force work.
He’s not just trusting anyone. He’s trusting the son of one of the most powerful Jedi that existed.

Yoda didn’t think Anakin would redeem himself. He in fact tells Luke that once you go to the dark side there’s no going back (Vader was the first to go back). But he was obviously counting on Anakin’s emotions to once again lead to his downfall. After all, Obi Wan and Yoda would have never ever been able to get as close to the Emperor as Luke did. If Vader didn't stop them all the guards and troopers would have done so.

Like I said, Luke seemed probably more susceptible to the Dark Side than Anakin was (he was trained at a later age, he lost his family, he was rebellious and didn't want to listen to Yoda, Obi won kept information from him, his father was on the dark side... it's a good thing he never fell in love or anything)
Luke did have something that Anakin did not. Luke saw first hand how evil the Emperor is cause he grew up amidst the tyranny and oppression. That is probably the main reason Luke resisted the Emperor's seduction.

Last edited by Class316; 09-02-05 at 01:06 PM.