Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Famous" movie lines that never happened.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Famous" movie lines that never happened.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by lizard
The last line by Rhett in Gone With the Wind is often misquoted. I think it is "Frankly, my Dear, I don't give a damn!" but it has been a long time since I watched it so I may not have that right. It is sometimes quoted as "Frankly, Scarlet, I don't give a damn!" and various iterations like that.

My understanding is that the use of "damn" in a movie was fairly scandalous for the time. Seems pretty quaint today.
It absolutely was. The studio wanted it changed to "care", but the director wouldn't have it. Shocking language.
Old 06-08-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ironically, the line
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.
was actually
Let it go, George. It's Boston. What are ya gonna do?
Old 06-08-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I'm ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille"

from Sunset Blvd is actually:

"All right Mr DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up."
Old 06-08-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Obi-wan never said "May the force be with you" in Star Wars. The only one who says that is Han Solo in the entire trilogy. He actually says "the force will be with you. Always".
Old 06-08-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bela Lugosi never said, "I want to suck your blood" as Dracula.

"Elementary, my dear Watson." was never used in any of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's books. It was first used in a film review in the New York Times in 1929, then for the first time by Shirlock Holmes in The Return of Shirlock Holmes.

"Me Tarzan, you Jane" was never used in Tarzan, The Ape Man.

"Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?" is an incorrect quote from Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The actual line is, "Magic Mirror on the wall, who is the fairest one of all?"

The Bette Davis line is, "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night," not "it's going to be a bumpy ride."

-JP
Old 06-08-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahoo Sirius
Also, I don't think Cagney ever said "You dirty rat" in a movie, although he was often quoted as having done so.
The closest was in Taxi! (1932): "Come out and take it you dirty, yellow-bellied rat..."
Old 06-08-05, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I always thought that in The Empire Strikes Back Luke says to Artoo "You're lucky you don't taste so good." Imagine my surprise when I saw the movie again in the '90s and noticed that the line is actually "You're lucky you got out."

(Note to the humor impaired: Yes, I know that the evil G.L. changed the line for the SE...)
Old 06-08-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"We Came, we saw, we kicked it's ass! " I heard in Ghostbusters spoken by Bill Murray's charachter Peter Venkman.

I believe it is from another movie though minus the "We kicked it's ass" line.
Old 06-09-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
In regard to all those "misquotes"...

...I can say a huge source of those misquotes came from the many Warner Brothers Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons done during the 1930's to early 1960's. Given the popularity of these cartoons small wonder why the originals were never remembered and the cartoon versions were far better remembered.
Old 06-09-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Samuel
"We Came, we saw, we kicked it's ass! " I heard in Ghostbusters spoken by Bill Murray's charachter Peter Venkman.

I believe it is from another movie though minus the "We kicked it's ass" line.
I forget if it's Greek or Roman, but it's from the saying Veni, Vidi, Vici. We came, we saw, we conquered. A few movies have used it, and there have been many jokes, like: Veni, Vidi, Visa - we came, we saw, we bought it. Or one of my favs, Veni, Vidi, Velcro (We stuck around)
Old 06-09-05, 11:57 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Yippee kai-yay, Mr. Falcon!
Old 06-09-05, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by BassDude
I forget if it's Greek or Roman, but it's from the saying Veni, Vidi, Vici. We came, we saw, we conquered. A few movies have used it, and there have been many jokes, like: Veni, Vidi, Visa - we came, we saw, we bought it. Or one of my favs, Veni, Vidi, Velcro (We stuck around)
It is Latin and is attributed to Julius Ceasar addressing the Roman Senate about a great military victory. Veni, Vidi, Coiti was always popular in my younger days.
Old 06-10-05, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Superboy
Obi-wan never said "May the force be with you" in Star Wars. The only one who says that is Han Solo in the entire trilogy. He actually says "the force will be with you. Always".

Doesn't the guy giving the "How To Destroy The Death Star" briefing say it as well? He says something like, "Then man your ships. And may the Force be with you."
I always thought that was odd that he should say that to a bunch of non-Jedi pilots, given the fact that earlier in the movie Han refered to the Force as a "hokey religion," implying that no one believed in it anymore.
Old 06-10-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by lizard
The last line by Rhett in Gone With the Wind is often misquoted. I think it is "Frankly, my Dear, I don't give a damn!" but it has been a long time since I watched it so I may not have that right. It is sometimes quoted as "Frankly, Scarlet, I don't give a damn!" and various iterations like that.

My understanding is that the use of "damn" in a movie was fairly scandalous for the time. Seems pretty quaint today.
Although not the first use of the word damn. The two previous uses where in Pygmalion and Alice Adams
Old 06-10-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jericho
Although not the first use of the word damn. The two previous uses where in Pygmalion and Alice Adams
also, if you have the new version of hells angels (the howard hughs movie from 1930). during the dogfight, you can hear several "jesus christs" and even a "son of a bitch". one of the characters at the begining of the movie says something like "well ted, don't make an ass out of your self" and i did a double take when i heard that.
Old 06-10-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Hey Darth Vader, I am your son."
Old 06-10-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by redskull
Doesn't the guy giving the "How To Destroy The Death Star" briefing say it as well? He says something like, "Then man your ships. And may the Force be with you."
I always thought that was odd that he should say that to a bunch of non-Jedi pilots, given the fact that earlier in the movie Han refered to the Force as a "hokey religion," implying that no one believed in it anymore.
Yes, Admiral Ackbar says "May The Force Be With You" in ROTJ. I'm pretty sure it's said a couple more times as well, although Han may be the only one in A NEW HOPE to say it.
Old 06-11-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
In The Virginian, Gary Cooper never said, "Smile when you say that, pardner." His actual line was, "If you want to call me that, smile."