Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Questions for Frank Miller

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-19-05, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be meeting Frank Miller this week and was wondering if you guys had any questions you wanted to ask him.

As usual, I'll try to ask as many as possible and will post his responses.
Old 04-19-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts
What became of his Year One project with Darren Aronofsky? Or rather, if he can say, what was the true reasoning behind Warner Bros. cancelling the project, as I've read a lot of weird rumours concerning liberties (Big Al, a homeless Bruce Wayne, etc.) taken with the source material when this project was being developed?

Assuming the rumoured liberties are true, might there ever be a comic book version of his Batman: Year One script as was done with his script to Robocop 2?

Oh and thanks in advance, vasb.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-19-05 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-19-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ask him if his favorite word is gravitas
Old 04-19-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts
Wasn't there a time when Ronin and/or Hard Boiled were considerations for feature films?

And what does he think of Mark Steven Johnson's Daredevil since the movie was heavily influenced by his run on the comicbook title?
Old 04-19-05, 05:02 PM

ask him if hell adopt me as his son. seriously.
Old 04-19-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ask him if they're seriously considering a Sin City sequel.
Old 04-19-05, 07:21 PM

Ask him:

Any chances for a live-action version of A Dame to Kill For?
Old 04-19-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Ask him how he feels about the overall negative reviews of The Dark Knight Returns II.
Old 04-20-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Ask him how he liked directing and if he will be doing any more directing in non comic book films.

Does he ever have art show showings of his work and will he be coming to Seattle. They had a showing here for spiderman and bruce lee so Frank Miller would fit in here.

Ask him if he will be my daddy? My mom is hot stuff.

What does he think of current comic artist. Who do he think is hot and what does he think of DCs infinite crisis story line.

What gave him the idea to do Sin City the book.

Will ther be extra scenes on the DVD of sin city. And if he becomes my daddy will I get a free copy?

Punch him in the eye if he is not willing to be my daddy but only after you ask my questions. Then run real fast. Frank Miller sounds kind of tough.
Old 04-20-05, 03:12 PM
Banned

Ask if he would consider adapting and directing any of his Batman or Daredevil graphic novels.
Old 04-20-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Ask him how he liked directing and if he will be doing any more directing in non comic book films.
i could be wrong, but i don't think he technically directed any, from all the interviews i have heard, he got a credit because Rodrequez thought that he should get one just because he had alot of imput into the movie.
Old 04-20-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
I don't know what interviews you've read but he absolutely co-directed the movie.
Old 04-20-05, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by William Fuld
I don't know what interviews you've read but he absolutely co-directed the movie.
I think Rypro is right. This is the only thing I could find that confirms what he said :

"Frank Miller and Quentin Tarantino are credited as co-directors, Miller because his comic books essentially act as storyboards which Rodriguez follows with ferocity, and because he was on the set every day, interacting with the actors"

---From the review by Roger Ebert

I think Rodriguez did most of the "actual directing".
Old 04-20-05, 04:01 PM

"I have to say, it was a thrill for us all to see him stalking the set, running up to actors to give direction, while furiously sketching up additional shots." - R. Rodriguez from the Ain't-It-Cool interview from 7/18/04.

If designing shots and directing actors isn't "actual directing" I don't know what is.
Old 04-20-05, 04:06 PM

"Rodriguez, who credits Miller's visual style in the comic as relevant as his own in the film, insisted that Miller receive a "co-director" credit with him."
---from the internet movie database

I think Miller got credit for his role because of the extreme dedication that Rodriguez put into adapting the source material (written/drawn by Frank Miller) to the big screen. Regardless, I certainly don't think Frank Miller could of or even wanted to make this movie without Rodriguez.
Old 04-20-05, 04:10 PM

Amazon.com: You co-directed the film with Robert Rodriquez. Was directing the movie similar to laying out the comic?

Frank Miller: Yes actually, which was a surprise to me. Robert kept saying the differences weren't all that great and that if I could do one, I could do the other. He said, "I know you can do this!" Robert and I were always watching each others back-- it was a real team made in heaven.
Old 04-20-05, 04:29 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by RocShemp
What became of his Year One project with Darren Aronofsky? Or rather, if he can say, what was the true reasoning behind Warner Bros. cancelling the project, as I've read a lot of weird rumours concerning liberties (Big Al, a homeless Bruce Wayne, etc.) taken with the source material when this project was being developed?

Assuming the rumoured liberties are true, might there ever be a comic book version of his Batman: Year One script as was done with his script to Robocop 2?

Oh and thanks in advance, vasb.
You can view the script if you join this site http://batmanbeginsnow.proboards25.com/index.cgi.

Once you join you get access to the general forum and a link to download the script from Rapidshare.
The script does indeed have the Little Al character in it.I have only read a little of it.It's ..intresting ...
Old 04-20-05, 04:43 PM

Ask him about what is going on with his comic projects such as

1) A new Sin City story

2) I heard he was going to adapt the Bible into a graphic novel, is this true?

3) What is going on with Batman vs the Terrorists/Holy Terror Batman, his next Batman book.
Old 04-20-05, 05:20 PM

How messed up is this?
A week before Sin City began shooting, the Directors Guild of America called to inform Rodriguez that he and Miller couldn't be listed as codirectors in the movie's credits. It would be a violation of DGA rules. (This reg doesn't apply to the Wachowski or Hughes brothers, who are granted DGA waivers for being "bona fide teams.") Rodriguez was stunned when the DGA threatened to shut down production. Rather than dump Miller, Rodriguez resigned from the guild.
Wired Magazine - April 2005
Old 04-20-05, 06:02 PM

Some questions to ask:

How soon will Sin City 2 start shooting?

How do you plan to structure the remaining Sin City stories for the sequel?

When can we expect the next Sin City graphic novel?

Do you plan to base a graphic novel around Nancy Callahan as a detective?

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 04-20-05 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-20-05, 07:36 PM

I heard Zack Snyder (the director of Dawn of the Dead 2004 and the upcoming 300) said that Frank Miller was working on a script for Hard-Boiled. Is this true?

Also, how is his new Batman comic coming along? Is it true it's gonna be Batman against the terrorists?

And is 300 as a movie still a go?
Old 04-20-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by mandrill
You can view the script if you join this site http://batmanbeginsnow.proboards25.com/index.cgi.

Once you join you get access to the general forum and a link to download the script from Rapidshare.
The script does indeed have the Little Al character in it.I have only read a little of it.It's ..intresting ...
Thanks for the link. I'm only 8 pages in but so far I like the tone and where Miller and Aronofsky seemed to have been headed with this. That said, I can understand why Warner Bros. pulled the plug as it's.... different.

So I guess I should update my questions.

vasb:
Will we ever see Miller's script for the film adaption of Batman: Year One be produced in some way? Like an animated film or would Miller ever adapt his script into comic book form?
Old 04-21-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts
Any chance of another Give Me Liberty story?
Old 04-21-05, 09:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrStrangeL0ve71
Ask him about what is going on with his comic projects such as

2) I heard he was going to adapt the Bible into a graphic novel, is this true?
Is this serious or just some rumor, because that sounds fucking awesome!

Might actually make it worth reading...
Old 04-21-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Since he had a pretty good experience with Rodriguez on Sin City, how about a "Dark Knight Returns."

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.