Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Joss Whedon's Serenity 2.0

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Joss Whedon's Serenity 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-05, 02:06 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Jack, where did you see the sneak preview? Was it in Thousand Oaks, CA? That's where I saw mine last month, and was really mad when I couldn't see it again. Maybe someday we will meet....someday....

P.S. I'd love some buttons
Old 03-26-05, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I'm a bit tired right now, so I'll pick this up tomorrow.
Please do.
Old 03-26-05, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, I saw it in thousand oaks. That's some drive out there from Downtown L.A.

I'll pick up the indepth review right now. so give me some time to work on it tonight.
Old 03-26-05, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Here's part 2 (of 3)

Spoiler:

.... Anyhow, picking up where we left off. Joss tossed a animated picture frame of Inara's departure from the ship while talking to kaylee to introduce that whole history in a nutshell before having them go into the trap. Very well placed.

My bad, I forgot the introduction of Shepard. After they get simon and river out of there the lays low in shepards haven community. We get the majority of the five minutes that shepard has of the film here. His past is again hinted at and Mal even asks him if he's ever going to tell him how he knows so much about the alliance and other things non shepard related. We are left hanging and this is one of the let downs I had with the film for reasons I will explain later. After the trip they get a message from Inara and it does hint at the whole shy relationship and Mal figures it's a trap. Leads to a witty remark about how he knew it was a trap based on the fact that they didn't fight in the conversation.

Back to the trap. Mal shows up to Inara's place sneaking in under the nose of the assasin by dressing up as a women. He gives a little Mal style comment towards Inara, who is praying for Mal. Assasin comes in and they pace around in a circle as the assasin. The assasin comes off as a man of honor and attempts to make an offer for River. They get into a fight and Mal is getting destroyed in hand to hand. Inara jumps into the mix and doesn't really offer much other than exploding incense that leaves Inara and Mal time to get away.

Back on the ship they are trying to figure out what Rivers secret is and slowly they start to discover it. Eventually it's worked out that River's memory of Miranda. This leads to more problem solving as to whole is Miranda. We later realize that it's not so much a whole, but a where. Miranda sits outside of the blackness of space. Deleted from the archieves it doesn't exist on any maps and is well beyond Reaver infested space. They go back to the Haven only to find that it has been attacked. Many people dead or left to die after an attack by the assasins men. Shepard is there with a gapping hole in his chest. He has time to talk to Mal and leave him some final words. I really think that this will pretty much piss away any potential of finding out why Book was so informative when it came to other subjects. While I understand that Joss couldn't have time to fit in all the characters into the film, Books backstory was one of the main reasons why I wanted to see a film come out of this franchise. For the potential for those unanswered questions to surface. Oh well. Joss really stressed that this may very well be the only time to tell a firefly story on the screen or in any format, so he did what he could and I'm pretty sure that these instances will grow to stronger moments because of the deaths.

At this point Mal pretty much snaps. Trying to figure out what is it that the alliance is trying to keep secret so badly that they would destroy anyone who is connected to Mal to stop him and his crew and get River back. Mal makes the choice to go head on through Reaver air space and into Miranda. They fix up Serenity to have corpses on the outside and look battered up beyond recognition so they can squeeze by them. Before going into the zone, Mal and Assasin guy have a brief conversation via the ships monitor system as the Assasin attempts to track down the ship. Mal turns it off and then they enter the edge of the universe and right into Reaver turf.

Shoot over back to the Assasins flag ship where they mention that serenity has disappeared. We go back to the ship where it's just crawling along through endless amounts of Reaver ships squeezing through the cracks in most cases. The eventually make it to Miranda, which is one of the planets that didn't need any terraforming at all, and has large amounts of cities. All of which are completely empty. This confusses the crew as they walk around. The only thing they discover is dead bodies that looked pretty much like they just fell down and died. Some more perserved than others.

The crew eventuallys comes across a video recording of the last minutes of this place. In it they find out that Miranda was one of the alliances first cities that they conducted experiments in to make the people happy and accepting of whatever came their way. They did this by pumping calming chemicals into the air system. This made everyone so laid back that they eventually stopped doing everything, including living and breathing. The big shocker to this realization is that they also explained the reavers and connected it all. The calming chemicals had the reverse effect on some of the percentage of residents. It actually made them rageful and insane. So the big secret that the alliance doesn't want River to keep is that they are responsible for the Reavers because of this test planet.

Mal gets this recording and decides that the best way to spread this is by taking it to Mr. Universe, who can easily broadcast the tape to as many galaxy systems as possible. The call ahead and he is more than happy to. Though we find out that he is more than happy to because the assasin is there with a lot of guards expecting Mal to call ahead. So the Assasin calls for all his ships to stand by and wait for Serenity to get out of the dead zone to attack. Pretty much has a lot of alliance ships sitting there in wave after wave waiting for the first sign of serenity to blow it.

At this point Serenity is floating along back through the maze of Reaver ships hanging around and one of the ships catches serenity's eye and follows. The ship, with the upgrades from Haven's construction now has a canon mounted ontop of the ship. So before the Reaver ship can attack, they shoot that down and it gets all the rest of the Reaver ships attention.

So now that Serenity gets back out of the black zone, the assasin is about to fire upon them to realize that following Serenity is a slew of Reaver ships. Serenity gets out of the way of the two opposing forces and all hell breaks loose. The Visual FX and the constant twist and turns in this plot really help give i the tv show feel aswell as provide good unexpected twists on items you thought you knew.

The Visuals of this space battle alone were just about done with a few exceptions, but it was pretty damn amazing. It had all sorts of choas going on in it and through it all you see one ship follow serenity's tail through the whole way through as you see alliance ships getting destroyed left and right and exchanging the fire with the Reaver ships.

Part 3 and the final part will be up tomorrow.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 03-29-05 at 03:39 AM.
Old 03-26-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Got to see it tonight. (Thanks Sean) I have to say... Ouch. It was good and it was also sad. Best part of it was Joss was sitting about 5 feet away. No one really noticed it was him minus two or three people since the screening wasn't marked as serenity, but was tagged as "A Sci Fi film from a major studio set to release later this year". Best part of it was that after the showing while shuffling out, he was outside. So I got to ask him some quick questions before name dropping someone who knows him from work.
You don't seem to inthusiastic in your non spoiler quotes. Were you dissappointed? I caught the series on DVD and it is now one of my all-time favorites, so I'm hoping it feels like the series, but more epic. You know how you can usually just tell if a movie is going to make it at the boxoffice? How do you think it will do? I'm guessing in the 50-60 million range. I figure non fans will lump it in with Star Trek.
Old 03-26-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It was more than anything firest reaction to the events of the film. It's sort of like just like a fresh cut.

I can tell that this will be an average, at best box office take in. It may still be a little to out of reach for non fans at face value. But the film does really suck in and let whoever is green to the franchise get to know the characters and keeps them in the loop. It's more along the lines of selling the picture to the trailer/teaser viewing audiance and getting them in the door.

I would say 40-55 million take in. Which isn't to bad, but it's not the best or it wont nail any sort of ongoing tv series. If anything, Universal may see some good potential to making a sequel for a quick buck.

But over all, that's why I'm spreading the spoiler review over a couple of days. The more it sets in, the more I'm enjoying it as a whole.
Old 03-26-05, 06:38 PM

Serenity's competition for a two month period:

September
• Ritual (Mira.) - 9/2
• The Transporter 2 (Fox) - 9/2
• The Woods (UA) - 9/2
• The Exorcism of Emily Rose (Sony) - 9/9
• The Man (NL) - 9/9
• Alien Love Triangle (Mira.) - 9/16
• A Good Woman (Lions) - 9/16
• Just Like Heaven (DW) - 9/16
• Syriana (WB) - 9/16
• Thumbsucker (SPC) - 9/16
• 2 for the Money (Uni.) - 9/23
• Dear Wendy (Wells) - 9/23
• Flightplan (BV) - 9/23
• Paradise Now (WIP) - 9/23
• Pride and Prejudice (Focus) - 9/23
• Tim Burton's The Corpse Bride (WB) - 9/23
• Art School Confidential (UA) - 9/30
• Bee Season (FoxS) - 9/30
• The Greatest Game Ever Played (BV) - 9/30
• A History of Violence (NL) - 9/30
• Into the Blue (MGM) - 9/30
• Roll Bounce (FoxS) - 9/30
• Serenity (Uni.) - 9/30
• Clean (Palm) - TBD

October
• Class Action (WB) - 10/7
• In Her Shoes (Fox) - 10/7
• Waiting (Lions) - 10/7
• Wallace and Gromit: Tale of the Were Rabbit (DW) - 10/7
• The Constant Gardener (Focus) - 10/14
• Don't Come Knocking (SPC) - 10/14
• Elizabethtown (Par.) - 10/14
• The Fog (SonR) - 10/14
• Doom (Uni.) - 10/21
• Goose! (Free) - 10/21
• Shopgirl (BV) - 10/21
• Strangers with Candy (WIP) - 10/21
• Guarding Eddy (N/A) - 10/28
• The Legend of Zorro (Sony) - 10/28
• Saw 2 (Lions) - 10/28

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 04-12-05 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-28-05, 03:36 AM

From Salon:
Scene Stealer by Brian Libby

He stole "Love Actually" and "Dirty Pretty Things" and is Woody Allen's first black lead. But don't expect Chiwetel Ejiofor to play the race card.

Chiwetel Ejiofor had his first role in 1997's "Amistad," but his true breakout came five years later in "Dirty Pretty Things," when he starred alongside Audrey Tautou, fresh from her breakout in 2001's "Amélie." Director Stephen Frears ("High Fidelity," "Dangerous Liaisons") reportedly resisted pressure to consider better-known American actors in favor of the then little-known Ejiofor.

The actor's profile has risen steadily ever since; he was part of the ensemble cast in 2003's "Love Actually," followed last year with a role in Spike Lee's "She Hate Me," and this year in Woody Allen's latest, "Melinda and Melinda," where he has the largest role ever for a black actor in an Allen film. Though the film has received mixed reviews, he has not. As Stephanie Zacharek wrote in Salon last week, "The only actor who escapes unscathed is Chiwetel Ejiofor ... Ejiofor, whose face radiates intelligent guilelessness, makes us believe in him wholeheartedly."

He is set to star in two action movies in the months ahead: John Singleton's revenge story "Four Brothers" and "Serenity," the on-screen continuation of Joss Whedon's canceled TV series "Firefly." And at 29, Ejiofor comes across as a man already sure of who he is. As the grandson of a Nigerian miner, he knows how blessed he is to be in the movies. But at the same time, polite as Ejiofor is, he's not a guy to be pushed around or one to answer questions he doesn't want to.

Chiwetel Ejiofor spoke with Salon from his apartment in New York's SoHo neighborhood, to which he recently relocated from his native London.

How do you find the right balance between doing theater and film?

It's always tricky. Once you're working in film a lot, it's hard to book in a time in the future when you're going to get back onstage, because it takes a much longer lead-in period. But I think it just gets to a point for a lot of actors, especially those who started out in the theater, where you feel this emotional need to get onstage. It kind of takes over, and then it's just a matter of time before you come back.

What is it about the stage that so appeals to actors?

It's everything, really. There is the thrill and immediacy in the crowd that brings a level of excitement. But there's also the whole kind of ritual of the theater: the backstage, the bars -- the whole lifestyle -- as well as getting to really explore a character over a long period of time. It's much more of an intense experience.

As opposed to sitting in a trailer for most of the day and running out for a few quick takes?

Exactly. Film just takes so much time with all the setting up of cameras and such. And then suddenly when they're ready, you have to be there to express these intense emotions at the drop of a hat. It's more difficult to do emotional scenes on film, I think, because with a play you have that momentum pushing you into it.

On "Melinda and Melinda," is it true that actors like working with Allen because there's more opportunity for improvisation?

He did say that if you wanted to, you were free to change the dialogue here and there. But I didn't really have that morning where I woke up and felt like changing Woody Allen's dialogue. I was happy pretty much sticking with what he has written.

What's your take on Ellis, the piano player you play who is a love interest for two characters in the film?

He's charming and seemingly kind of faultless, but I think the need to charm in Ellis speaks to something less lovable. I think he's looking for a muse, and he's happy to move on when that muse no longer suits him.

How does it feel being the first black actor to have that major a role in an Allen film?

I think some people pay attention to that kind of thing, but it's not a part of the movie. I think it's a bit of a silly footnote.

But Allen is one of the most important directors of his generation, and the characters in his films have been almost universally white. Does that give you pause?

Any filmmaker can write about what they want to write about. He's the filmmaker and it's his film. He should be able to make what he wants. I don't think I or anyone else should really tell Woody what to create.

Stephen Frears' "Dirty Pretty Things" was really your breakout role. What did it mean to you?

I loved the script, and when I read it I was very keen to get the part. I had a terrific time making the movie. Incidentally, it's been great seeing Sophie [Okonedo] get recognition and an Oscar nomination after "Hotel Rwanda." Audrey [Tautou] and Sergei Lopez are excellent actors, too. And Stephen Frears is what I'd call an insightful director.

That film received a lot of praise for portraying a new era in London, one more culturally diverse and constantly in flux with immigrants. As a native Londoner, how did it strike you?

I do think one of the great joys of London is that it's a very multicultural place. People just get on with it. They're not in their own pockets of the city as much, which I think tends to happen more in the United States.

Do you approach your career with particular goals or do you just take it as it comes?

I don't have a game plan for my career. I'm interested in characters more than anything else. I just read the scripts I'm sent and either I accept the role or I don't.

I would assume the number of scripts you're sent has increased these days.

Yeah, there are certainly more of them. But by no means is every one something I fall in love with.

Are there certain scripts you've been sent that particularly made you laugh or cringe?

There are certainly scripts that I haven't responded to, but if I tell you what they were I'd be insulting the people who wrote them. I don't want to do that. Besides, I don't have to read every script that is sent to me. I work with my agent and other people, and I read the best of what they see. But even out of those, there are plenty of times where I just don't feel like the character I'm being considered for appeals to me.

Is there anything common to the roles you have played or want to?

It has to be a journey you want to take. I'm an actor who enjoys a challenge, seeing something different and being able to bring something special to the role. I also enjoy going into a different world. So ideally the script should be something that triggers my imagination. But it's not to say everything has to be perfect. The details of the character can always be worked out, as long as the story has something of interest.

Do you like playing a strong role in the development of your character, or are you happiest when you are given a script where you think not a word needs to be changed?

It always depends. It's moment to moment, especially if you're working with a director who is into improv or rehearsal. It can change organically as a result of that. But it's great if you can read something and love it for what it is right away.

What attracts you on a personal, emotional level to acting?

It's an interest in the world and in other people, trying to understand where other people come from as a way of understanding myself. I think there's something endlessly fascinating about different people's points of view and what drives them, what their life stories and situations are. What's great about acting is not only do you go on a journey with them psychologically, but a lot of times physically too. You can really travel the world with this job. I've had an extraordinary amount of experiences because of that.

Is there anything about your background, or your upbringing, that helped develop this kind of curiosity about people and the world?

When I first started reading plays it just triggered my imagination. It became almost obsessive for me. I just wanted to tell stories.

When did you first become interested in acting?

I was about 12 or 13 and I was pretty bored with school. But then we started reading plays in class and something clicked. I think it was Shakespeare's "Henry IV" that really intrigued me. It just caught my imagination. That prompted me to check out what was happening with the drama department and school, and soon I was performing. And that was that.

So you didn't want to play soccer like most other English kids?

I was never that great a sportsman. Academically I was pretty good, but I was sort of floating. Nothing had my interest until acting. And what's curious, though, is that after I got into acting, everything else became more interesting. It's like by discovering acting I discovered something inside myself. I think it's because as an actor you learn to become more adept at viewing the world.

You were born and raised in London, but your parents and family are Nigerian. Do you still have a connection there?

My family is still there in Enugu, which was formerly the capital of Biafra. And I am often back there. I like to go back and see my grandparents. And there are a lot of old friends and family in Nigeria that I love a lot.

How did your family end up moving to London?

After the war they were both students, and England was seeking out medical students.

That must have been handy considering that in "Dirty Pretty Things" you played a Nigerian doctor who had immigrated to England.

Yeah, I could certainly do the accent.

How does being black affect your place in the movie business? Are you worried about being typecast as "the black guy" or always being the first character to die?

It's a very complex question. It's not something that I feel particularly shrouded in. I look for characters. I don't care what color they are or what they're doing.

But do you think being a person of color affects the kinds of opportunities you get in the film industry?

I don't know, because I don't see what's not available to me. And what is available to me I have very much enjoyed. Every character that I've played I've wanted to play.

Hollywood has been abuzz with the success recently of African-American actors like Jamie Foxx and Denzel Washington winning Oscars. Do you feel any particular solidarity with them as an actor of African descent?

I suppose like anybody else I'm very happy to see good performances rewarded, as opposed to some kind of racial complications. I have a solidarity in a sense that it should be about the work.

If I understand you correctly, then, race isn't necessarily something that you feel a sense of indignation about as it applies to the movie industry?

Race is incredibly fundamental to anybody's life in the modern world. I can't narrow it to the film industry in general. I think it extends beyond the borders of Hollywood. I think you misunderstand me if you think I don't think it's a big deal. I think it's incredibly large. But not necessarily within the confines of a script that I read or the behavior of a Hollywood mogul.

Fair enough. You've got two big movies coming up: "Serenity," a sci-fi epic, and "Four Brothers," a revenge film. How did production go?

With "Four Brothers" I just thought the part was very well written. It was also a great chance to work with John Singleton, who I've always admired very much. Before "Serenity" I never really saw myself in sci-fi. But then I read Joss Whedon's script and I thought it was absolutely brilliant. It's a character I was just itching to try.

A lot of up-and-coming actors face a familiar predicament: accepting small parts in quality movies versus larger parts in what may be lesser films. Is this something you face?

Not really. I guess if a film is going to have a larger budget, people will want marquee names. So the chance of having a big part in a film that costs, say, $200 million, is pretty unlikely for me right now. But that has nothing necessarily to do with the quality of the film. I don't think it's quite as straightforward as you suggest.

What do you like to do when you're not working?

I love to read and all that, but I would say that I'm one of those people where if I'm at home, it's very easy to get me to go out. If the phone rings, I'll probably jump up to get it. I love to go to restaurants and bars, maybe have some dinner and a vodka mix.

And are you single?

I'm not telling you.

Obviously you don't have to talk about your personal life, but don't you think to some degree such questions come with the territory when doing interviews?

Not really. It's very simple: That's not really the public's business.

Let me ask this another way, then. You clearly are principled about maintaining privacy. As your career advances and you potentially become more famous, do you worry that your personal life will be more exposed?

No, I don't think I do. You deal with what happens on the day that it happens to you.

Source
Old 03-29-05, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton on 03-26-05
Part 3 and the final part will be up tomorrow.
Come on, man, don't leave us hanging!

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 03-29-05 at 02:42 AM.
Old 03-29-05, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sorry about that. Been busy. anyhow, here goes.

Spoiler:
Ok, were did we leave off? Ah yes, the pretty grand level battle between alliance forces and reavers with one tailing Serenity. We see the bad ass assasin jump into an escape pod before the reavers pretty much tear apart his ship. It's a pretty old cliche thing to do, you know, set up for that final battle which you can see a mile away. In anycase, so the reaver ship is still tailing Serenity while it is taking some damage on its wild ride down to Mr. Universe's main base of broadcasting and information gathering. It loses part of its engine and starts to really come down hard and fast and we see Wash navigate it directly into the hanger while it crashes into and loses plenty of its parts. The tension at the point in the film is pretty intense. The ship is now down and this is one of the more shocking and out of left field deaths. Wash is going on after landing the ship with a poem about leafs in the wind and then out of nowhere a reavers' ship spear jams through the cockpit of Serenity impaling and killing Wash. Zoe goes to him but Mal pushes her down in time to dodge two other giant spears that rip through the cockpit. Clear signs that Reavers are about to be there to rip them apart. The death is really pretty much out of no where and is another factor of pretty much telling the viewer that no one is safe. It really did make the film a bit more somber and sad at that point.

We see the crew get out of the ship and make way through the hallways of Mr. Universe's home. The close off one of the doors and make a sort of last stand at one of the passways between the elevator and a blast door that will serve as the final line of defense. Mal tells them all to hold out that area while he goes on and attempts to get the broadcast out about Mirenada. So the rest of the surviving crew is left there with a blocked door and their ammo ready to hold the reavers back. Think aliens with human crazed ripped apart ragefilled folks instead of xenomorphs.

Mal eventually works his way down only to find that Mr. Universe's base of operations has been destroyed by the Assasin and Mr. Universe dead next to his real doll. All hope isn't lost though since his Real Doll pretty much left Mal a message saying that he has a secondary broadcasting system in the lower floors. Not as strong of a signal, but still can get the job done. Mal makes his way down there and we see the assasin come out of one of the ventilation shafts after him only to hear the same message mal did about the back up system.

Up top where the rest of the crew is about to face the oncoming attack there is a sort of calm before the storm where River gets into a ball and starts getting flash backs. So their ultimate bad ass weapon is out of the fight. Well the first wave of Reavers breaks through the door way and Zoe goes wild on them. shooting and then eventually going full on with them. This is where we come to even more proof that this is a Joss creation. Zoe gets a pretty nasty slash in the back by a reaver around the shoulder area leaving Jayne to take up the mantle and shoot away at the reavers to hold them back while Simon tries to take care of Zoe. Now the vents seem to have Reavers in them getting in. Kaylee gets some nail device slammed at her neck/shoulder area taking her out of the fight forcing the group to go into the blast door area. Only problem is that the door doesn't close all the way leaving a small square area open in it.

Back with Mal, we find him just on the other side of the broadcasting equipment without a bridge to get over with and needing to go up on rafters to get to the other side. Bad Ass Assasin comes out of nowhere and gives Mal a little smart talk only to get fired upon by Mal taking a Mal style cheap shot and shooting to get himself over to the other side. Assasin dude jumps on and attacks him dropping him and making him swing by on chains to get to the other end. they both make it over to that side of the platform and start to have their fight.

cut back to the crew holding down the line. Yet another moment of pure Joss-ism, we see in slow motion Simon take a shot to the stomach by a reaver from that small square hole. He's been able to patch up some of the other crew, but he can't do anything for himself without his bag that he left on the other side. He apologizes to River for not taking care of her. She gets emotional and out of her ball of fear state and then decides to sacrifice herself to save them. She jumps through the square hole, tosses his bag over to him and closes up the blast shield doors. Now Simon can patch himself up and finish off the rest of the crew. But River is left in a sealed room full of reavers.

Back to Mal we have him going at it with the assasin who seems to be playing with him for the most part. Eventually pulls out his sword and stabs it through mal. What part of his stomach? I really can't say. Mal pushes him out down while he is surprised that mal isn't dead and then mal simply pulls the knife out. They go at it for a short time more and then the assasin pulls out the move that he did on the scientist in the start of the film. Hitting a nerve at the back of the spin/stomach area making the person freeze so the assasin can simply put the sword under them to fall ontop of. The assasin goes on a little with his ego and then lays out the sword for Mal to fall onto. Only problem is Mal doesn't fall onto it, he attacks him some more as the assasin is surprised by the events and lays him out on the floor, takes a hand jab to his neck so he will stop talking and Mal pins him to the platforms rails so he can't move and can't talk while Mal sets up the broadcasting of the message. Mal then goes on to explain that he lost those nerves back during the war, so that is how he got out of the assasins trick and he then delivers the message and the assasin is left there looking at it in slight shock and horror of what the message is. He, for the whole time of the film didn't care what the folks who hired him are trying to protect. It was all about honor and fighting and hunting for him.

We are seen cut shots of River going crazy on the Reavers taking them out quickly with her moves. It really is a sight to see her go wild on them. It's not like any sort of Buffy type of fight or anything like that. There really is some nice camera angles to it and it does get you into it.

Mal meets up with the group again, who is still pretty much down for the count. They are all under the assumption that River got tore up. So when the blast doors finally open, they are expecting a wave of Reavers and all they see is River standing there in a shot that looks like Mila from Resident Evil simply because of the dress River is wearing. Out of nowhere the wall crumbles in back of River and we see a slew of the assasins soliders who are waiting for an order from the assasin to take them out. We then hear him tell them to stand down.

Cut to a shot of three graves. One for Mr. Universe, one for Shepard and one for Wash. All three have visual projected motion to them. We see the shot of the remaining crew at the graves and Zoe comes up with a sparkling candle to put it on her husbands grave.

The closing to the film is pretty much them rebuilding Serenity, getting it ready to go up into space again. Mal talking with the Assasin about how he will never see them again and that the Alliance may track them because of what they have caused. He tells them that many of the planets are not pleased about the alliances role in creating the reavers and wanting to control a population. So I assume that it's leading into a bigger "civil war" like before between the alliance and the Independent fractions. There is a bit more of interaction between Mal and Inara and we get a shot of Kaylee and Simon getting intimate before the ship is ready to take off. Mal is shown talking to someone in the cockpit of the ship and it turns out to be River as the new pilot. Mal is a little hesitant in letting her take off, but she is a natural when it comes to it. Mal goes on a little spill about how it's not knowning how to fly it that keeps a ship in the air, it's showing the ship love to keep it going. River reacts to the story in a positive way and we see Serenity fly away. The closing shot being a part of the ship flying off with Mal's voice over being "What was that"

The ending, while extremely depressing and full of despair comes off really well. It will leave a lot of fans shocked because of the number of members who died and those injured, but it will also be good to see serenity fly away. The ending really worked well in slamming it home how tight the group really has become and lived up to the hype. I especially liked the bookend ending from the introduction of Serenity with Wash and Mal discussing a part flying off to having River and Mal talk about a part flying off.

Do I think there will be Sequels? I really don't think so. It may do well during its theater run, but I think the depressing aspect to the film may hold it back from being rewatched by many or word of mouth to spread about it. While it does a great job at inviting new viewers into the world that is Firefly, a lot of folks need to be sold onto watching it in the first place. It will all depend on the marketing of the film.

As for the downer scenes. It does make a pretty big impact, but that is what Joss was going for and he nailed it perfectly. Maybe a little to perfect. You feel the loss of the crew members. Especially Wash's death. Shepard may not be to bad to take in for folks who are new to the franchise because of his lack of screen time. But the death of Wash is just really hard to handle with a split second.

In the end, Serenity is a great film that does open itself to new viewers and hopefully it will make a lot of them, while telling what seems like, at times, a simple back to back episode of Firefly. Mal is spot on with his character as pretty much everyone else is aswell. They really do make the world come to life, as hard as "a western in space" can really be taken seriously.

I would gladly suggest the film to both new viewers and old time fans. Though I will warn the fans that it may be a like a abusive relationship you just keep going back to. You may feel beaten by Joss through the film, but in the end it does make sense why he's beating you with the pain and misery of your favorite characters.

there you go.
Old 03-29-05, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

must.not.read.spoilers....but it's so hard not too!! I have, like, zero will power. So far my wanting to see it mostly unspoiled has won out...but it's soooooo far away!!!
Old 04-04-05, 07:53 PM

Dark Horse Comics' solicitation for July:
SERENITY #1

Written by Joss Whedon and Brett Matthews, pencils by Will Conrad, colors by Laura Martin.

This fall Joss Whedon makes his big-screen debut as writer/director with Serenity, the big-budget feature follow-up to his cult-hit TV show Firefly‹the story of a ship full of mercenaries, outlaws, fugitives, and one law-abiding prostitute running across the fringes of space. Now Whedon pens a three issue miniseries based on the film with Brett Matthews, whose previous credits include Spider-Man specials with Daredevil and Wolverine, episodes of TV's Firefly, an Angel miniseries, and the animated Chronicles of Riddick feature Dark Fury.

The crew of Serenity once again find themselves broke and on the wrong side of a number of very large firearms, making the first issue a case study in how to mix intense, Whedon-style character interaction with cinematic action and violence. Artist Will Conrad and colorist Laura Martin paint a rough and wild world of adventure across a strange and dangerous universe. Each issue of this series features three covers, one for each member of the Serenity crew, drawn by the biggest names in comics. Issue #1 features Mal by John Cassaday, Inara by J.G. Jones, and Jayne by Bryan Hitch.

32 pages, $2.99, in stores on July 6.
Character art for the comic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...omic-inara.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...-comic-mal.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...omic-jayne.jpg

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 04-04-05 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-05-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
So is the comic sort of a lead-in to the movie?
Old 04-10-05, 02:48 AM

Why cant I see the spoilers? It's all blocked out by a giganitc black box! Wah! I wanna see em!
Old 04-10-05, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally Posted by MPoof
Why cant I see the spoilers? It's all blocked out by a giganitc black box! Wah! I wanna see em!
Hopefully you are kidding.
Old 04-10-05, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MPoof
Hold your left mouse button down and drag across the black.
Old 04-22-05, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Is Barry dead?

Anyhow, here's a Jewel interview
http://scifitalk.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=4250
Old 04-22-05, 10:50 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Damn you Jack! I couldn't resist the spoilers!

Thanks for typing all that. While I won't be surprised at some of the events in the film, I'm even more eager to see it now. I know I'm going to love it.
Old 04-22-05, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by Joss Whedon @ Universal's Official Serenity Site:
Scrumptralescent News!

Hey guys.

I'm here on the official site, so that can only mean one thing: somebody finally told me my password! (Again.) It probably also means that I have some big-ass announcement or other. Well tops on the announcement list is this: after months of intensive yoga, i can finally touch my toes! (They feel round and bunion-y.)

But there's more! I'm talkin' movie news, peeps, so no more drumroll: Trailer. Serenity. Tuesday.

Yeah, kids, the haps is hap'nin', and it runs thus: EXCLUSIVELY on Apple movie trailers (and linked through this site as well of course) will be a small, medium, large or FULLSCREEN trailer for Serenity the major motion movie. Yeah, THE trailer. And the following Friday said trailer hits theaters. Which theaters? Until I get confirmation you'll have to guess, but I'm betting you can.

Now, here's a word of warning: this trailer ain't shy. If you're looking to live totally spoiler-free, know that there's plenty of key dialogue and images running through this bad boy. It's pretty tasty, though, and it doesn't give everything away. But close scrutiny will definitely learn you much of what's to come. (Anakin TOTALLY goes evil.) It's a nice piece to while away the time till September, and hopefully should intrigue th' peeps that don't have coats of brown.

The only thing more exciting than y'all finally seeing this was showing it to Nathan. Like a schoolboy giggled he.

Bye-ee!

Joss "You can't take my toes from me" Whedon.

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 04-22-05 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-22-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I got a couple of passes for yet another test screening in thousand oaks. Who wants in?
Old 04-25-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Gizmo, you want to watch it again?
Old 04-25-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thousand Oaks Screening!

What Day? What Time?

I'd love to go!
Old 04-25-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thursday 7:00pm in thousand Oaks Mann Jann's market place.
Old 04-25-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to an April screening of Serenity, the word is as it should be.

Jackskeleton is da man!
Old 04-26-05, 02:32 AM

Grendy & Nash’s Long & Interesting Interview With SERENITY’s Nathan Fillion & Adam Baldwin!!

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20034

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.