Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Island" - Michael Bay without Bruckheimer

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"The Island" - Michael Bay without Bruckheimer

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
The Onion just posted a review of Clonus for their "Films that Time Forgot" Series:
http://www.theonionavclub.com/fttf/index.php?issue=4112

Obviously it's not as forgotten as it seems, or at least to MST3K fans.
Old 03-23-05, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Saw this on Apple's site: a much better international trailer. Some cool new shots and a more interesting tone. This trailer makes me want to see it in the theaters instead of waiting for DVD.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/the...international/
Old 03-23-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkPish
Saw this on Apple's site: a much better international trailer.
That trailer looks like it might give away the ending.
Old 03-23-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
I just got that whole 6th Day, Logan's Run, Matrix-y feel to it. But I'd probably go see it. Bay has a flair to put up things that I would want to watch on the big screen, big action, big explosions, just a larger scope.
Old 03-23-05, 02:27 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Screw all you haters, I love Michael Bay and I am all over this movie

Scarlett and Steve too
Old 03-23-05, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Liked the international trailer better. In all honesty, I have to say that thought provoking sci-fi premises and a Bruckheimer-less Michael Bay don't mix. Come to think of it, just about anything thought provoking or with the potential for intelligence and Michael Bay don't mix.
Old 05-20-05, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
The Island
Logan 5 is a resident of a seemingly utopian but contained facility in the mid 23rd century. Like all of the inhabitants of this carefully controlled environment, Logan hopes to be chosen to go to the "The Sanctuary" - reportedly the last uncontaminated spot on the planet. But Logan soon discovers that everything about his existence is a lie. He and all of the other inhabitants of the facility are actually human clones whose only purpose is to provide "power" for their robot overlords. Realizing it is only a matter of time before he is "Carouseled," Logan makes a daring run with a beautiful fellow resident named LUH 3417. Relentlessly pursued by the agents of the Matrix that once housed them, Logan and LUH engage in a race for their lives to literally meet their makers.
Fixed

Just saw the trailer for this today thanks to a banner ad. It really does look interesting, even if it is a mish-mash of half a dozen other sci-fi movies. The scene with dozens of people in paper gowns running to freedom is pretty much the end of Logan's Run. The cast is outstanding, but with Bay directing, well, he's the real hangup I have.
Old 05-27-05, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Two new trailers are up:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/dreamw...and/trailer_1/

http://www.apple.com/trailers/dreamw...and/trailer_2/

I quite like #2.
Old 05-27-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This looks like Gattaca for 13-year olds.

Old 05-27-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steve Buscemi is in it, so I'll be there.
Old 05-29-05, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I enjoy Michael Bay's films for what they are, so I'll be sure to catch this theatrically.
Old 05-29-05, 07:40 AM

I'll see it for the true star of the film...

the City of DETROIT!
Old 05-29-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by maingon
you gotta admit his movies are always entertaining though
If what you mean by entertaining is getting motion sickness from crazy jump cuts and poor camera work, then yes.
Old 05-29-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow, what a cast! I'm not a Bay fan, but his films can be kinda crappy, in a good way, although I've never made it through Pearl Harbor.

The first few seconds of this trailer and I thought it was for Leo's movie The Beach.
Old 05-31-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Saw the trailer before "The Longest Yard" yesterday. At first I thought it was going to be a remake of "Logans Run."
On the fence about this one.
Old 07-08-05, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
"The Island" will be sneaking this Saturday night (July 9).

(Anyone know if there's a list of theaters out there on the Web somewhere?)
Old 07-08-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From what I have seen, the lack of Bruckheimer has not hindered Bay's ability to blow up stuff and wreck cars.
Old 07-08-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
From what I have seen, the lack of Bruckheimer has not hindered Bay's ability to blow up stuff and wreck cars.
Well thank goodness! Not like anyone goes to his movies for the story or acting anyway. No explosions = no sale for me on a Bay film. Of course, never really had a problem with that either.
Old 07-08-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason Bovberg
"The Island" will be sneaking this Saturday night (July 9).

(Anyone know if there's a list of theaters out there on the Web somewhere?)
Just check Fandango, Movie Tickets, whatever.

The film is a "wide" sneak, meaning a few hundred theaters or so will be sneaking the flick on Saturday night.

[However, according to what's been posted on Fandango's site, The Island is only playing in 2 theaters in Vegas tomorrow night. Both in BFE compared to where I am located.]
Old 07-09-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Just check Fandango, Movie Tickets, whatever.

The film is a "wide" sneak, meaning a few hundred theaters or so will be sneaking the flick on Saturday night.

[However, according to what's been posted on Fandango's site, The Island is only playing in 2 theaters in Vegas tomorrow night. Both in BFE compared to where I am located.]
You're average sneak plays in about 20-30 theaters in Chicago (I've noticed). This ones only playing in 12.

I unapologetically love Michael Bay movies, so I'll be checking this out at the sneak.
Old 07-09-05, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't seem to find the sneak in my area, Fandango doesn't have it listed if it's happening.
Old 07-09-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Can't seem to find the sneak in my area, Fandango doesn't have it listed if it's happening.
You may want to look in your local newspaper.

Fandango only listed two of the theaters playing the sneak, but when I looked in the newspaper (something I rarely do), two other theaters (that are much closer to me) are playing it as well.
Old 07-09-05, 09:14 PM

HOLY SH!T!! To me this was the Best movie ever!!! (for the type of movie that it is) Michael Bay is my favorite directer and Out of all his movies this is just perfect. The pacing was great except for a few minutes towards the end, the chase scenes were awesome. The special effects were just mind blowing. The cadillac was awesome, steve buscemi and his Chevy SSR were awesome. It was just perfect. Scarlett Johansson is a GODDESS, I just can't think of anything else to say other than PERFECT! It going to kill me to have to wait another 13 days to see this movie again!
Old 07-09-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
I can't wait to see this! Michael Bay has only disappointed me once (Bad Boys II) so I have no hatred for him. I am definitely NOT waiting to see this on DVD.
Old 07-10-05, 01:34 AM

Wow. This movie is good. Really good. I caught the sneak tonight, and I'm still kinda in shock by how much I enjoyed it. I had so much fun I'm practically giddy. I did not expect the movie to be this good from those lame trailers. The actors were all great, the action was amazing, and it was just so much fun!

This is like The Rock all over again. The Rock was the only Michael Bay movie I liked (I hated all his others). I remember coming out of the theatre back when it first came out all excited and wanting to see it again. I feel the same way about this movie. I can't wait to see it again.

I've caught all the big summer movies, thought ROTS was decent, liked M&MS, really liked BB, tolerated WOTW, and didn't even bother with F4, but this is the best time I've had at the movies this summer so far. At a frickin' Michael Bay movie!!! I am in shock...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.