Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Halo: The Movie

Old 02-06-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mr. Jon2, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Even though I pretty much agree on the Kong issue, you're on the money.
Old 02-07-05, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon2
Larry Niven should sue. Ringworld...now there's a movie I'd see.
The Halo developers admit to Ringworld being an inspiration for the story. I don't know how good of a movie Ringworld would make though because the book is fairly pedestrian. Its not bad but, its nothing special either.

The smart thing that MS and Bungie are doing is developing the script themselves before selling the property.
Old 02-07-05, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Daytrip
i've already seen Halo, it was called Starship Troopers
Wow, I saw the thread title and was going to post the exact same line.

These video game movies are getting a little out of hand. I can't remember a good one.
Old 02-07-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That's because they haven't made a good one.

But, given the care Bungie seems to have about their property, this has potential. The problem with video game movies isn't that they can't be done well, it's that they hire shit writers and shit directors to make them. That bungie is being picky about who does this, has hired a decent screenwriter to make it, this has potential. I say the same about Silent Hill, which has Christopher Gans directing and Roger Avary writing. That has much more potential then, say, "written by Paul Anderson." It's all about who the talent involved is. That's the problem with video game movies. Some of these video game movies do have decent enough cocnepts and visual design that a good movie definately could be made out of them.
Old 02-07-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forget Halo, make a movie based on John Steakley's 'Armor'...
Old 02-07-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
That's because they haven't made a good one.

But, given the care Bungie seems to have about their property, this has potential. The problem with video game movies isn't that they can't be done well, it's that they hire shit writers and shit directors to make them. That bungie is being picky about who does this, has hired a decent screenwriter to make it, this has potential. I say the same about Silent Hill, which has Christopher Gans directing and Roger Avary writing. That has much more potential then, say, "written by Paul Anderson." It's all about who the talent involved is. That's the problem with video game movies. Some of these video game movies do have decent enough cocnepts and visual design that a good movie definately could be made out of them.

I agree. The only reason that there's such a stigma around video game movies is because only Uwe Boll and Paul Anderson have done them. I was so dissapointed with Resident Evil (one of my favorite video game franchises) which had such great potential. Too bad Deus Ex was cancelled, that had great potential as well.
Old 07-12-06, 01:51 PM

Denzel as the Master Chief?
http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial...8&obj_id=51690
Old 07-12-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazy Bum
That doesn't even make sense to me. Granted, I haven't finished Halo 2 and I doubt I will ever be motivated to, but Master Chief never comes out of the suit, right?

Why would you get a A-list "face" and never show it? Or Hollywood, once again, changes one of the biggest aspects of the game's mysteries just to slap a name on a poster.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter who is in the suit - might as well get the phsyique & movement style for the right price.
Old 07-12-06, 02:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You guys know the reason Halo 2 had a cliffhanger ending is because Microsoft rushed Bungie into a release date before they could finish, right? You should be mad at Microsoft, not Bungie.

As for this, it has potential. Could be a great action film. We'll have to wait and see.
Old 07-12-06, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
That doesn't even make sense to me. Granted, I haven't finished Halo 2 and I doubt I will ever be motivated to, but Master Chief never comes out of the suit, right?

Why would you get a A-list "face" and never show it? Or Hollywood, once again, changes one of the biggest aspects of the game's mysteries just to slap a name on a poster.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter who is in the suit - might as well get the phsyique & movement style for the right price.
Supposedly MC reveals himself in Halo 3. Not to mention it is just a rumor. I'm sure we will see a half dozen names thrown around before anything is close to filming.
Old 07-12-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm kind of pumped that they at least have Alex Garland on board. Say what you will about "The Beach" and "28 Days Later", he's a fantastic writer.
Old 07-12-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The reason movies make bad games is that the primary reason to license a movie is to make good bank without making a good game. If you get a good game based on a movie, it's usually a labor-of-love type of thing. For example, "Riddick" was not a slapdash job because Vin Diesel was behind the production, and the guy apparently plays video games. "Goldeneye," similarly, was a game by people who loved James Bond movies and wanted to make a Bond game, and were able to get hold of the license.

Game movies are bad for partially the same reason, but I think the satisfying the expectations of game audiences really hamstrings even those who would like to make good movies. Paul W.S. Anderson, while he's not a great filmmaker, made a real effort with Resident Evil. I always thought, if you could say nothing else for it, the laser hallway scene was cool.

Similarly, I had high hopes for Silent Hill because I liked Brotherhood of the Wolf and I like Radha Mitchell. I think that's a movie that was hamstrung by the director feeling obligated to meet the expectations of the game.

I think most video game movies, like most movie games, are just opportunistic attempts to score a quick buck by attaching a shoddy product to a "franchise," in hopes of drawing in fans of the original. But at the same time, I do think that those who tried and failed to make good video game movies have really hamstrung themselves by trying to tell video game stories.

I have a friend who preaches the gospel of videogame storytelling. I'm a doubter; I think freedom, or the illusion of it is a greater commodity, and, in any case, a story is just a frame for the action, rather than the action moving the story.

If you want to make a good video game movie, you have to take a single thing that really is elemental to the game, and try and do that right, while largely replacing the story. For example, Resident Evil is about being alone, in near darkness, knowing there are monsters around, and having only one clip of bullets.

Silent Hill is about the high-contrast look and the radio static telling you the monster is close. The missing child is an "I'm sorry Mario, our princess is in another castle" video game conceit and should have been dropped.

All the best stuff about Halo is video game stuff. It's being able to jump on the cool vehicles, and the chaotic, unscripted real-time battles between different groups of good guys and bad guys. And it was about the multiplayer. As affectionate as some characters are towards the Chief and Cortana, there's no movie there. Body snatching goo-guys vs. Predators vs. Chewbaccas? No thanks.
Old 07-13-06, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Uhm...wow. Did you make all that up yourself?
Old 07-13-06, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is one of the elements of the game that will in all likely hood be changed for the movie adaptation. Having a protagonist whos face you never see. Would make it difficult to convey any emotions whatsoever of said character without the benefit of facial expressions. Audiences would have a hard time connecting with a character who for all intents and purposes is just a big metal suit.
Old 07-13-06, 08:20 AM

Do we really need another commandos in space movie? Plenty have attempted to recapture the magic of Aliens, but nobody has even come close, and I very much doubt a video game adaptation will reach that level.
Old 07-13-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Thrush
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is one of the elements of the game that will in all likely hood be changed for the movie adaptation. Having a protagonist whos face you never see. Would make it difficult to convey any emotions whatsoever of said character without the benefit of facial expressions. Audiences would have a hard time connecting with a character who for all intents and purposes is just a big metal suit.
Darth Vader? Granted he's not a protagonist, but he was definitely a very popular character...

Also, I'm gonna mention the King of Jerusalem from Kingdom of Heaven: DC.
Spoiler:
You never see his face while he's alive, but you definitely can feel the emotions, etc. of the character.

Last edited by Anubis2005X; 07-13-06 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-13-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Who here honestly thinks THE Denzel Washington is going to sign on for a sci-fi/horror movie(his resume is just littered with films from those genres) where he would be wearing a helmet through 90% of the movie?

Beachfront property in Iowa anyone?
Old 07-13-06, 07:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Denzel has been in at least one horror film. I don't think he'll be in this, though.
Old 07-14-06, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
he probably will... it will be big
Old 08-11-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
It was recently announced that Neill Blomkamp is going to be the director.

Here's a short film he did, Alive in Joburg that seems to be extremely promising. [Direct Download]

Last edited by The Bus; 10-20-06 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-11-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That was pretty cool. I don't have any opinions on the Halo film, but I'm glad I saw that.
Old 10-20-06, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
Goodbye Halo Movie

'Halo' pic loses its studios
Vidgame adaptation rumored to be too pricey
By MICHAEL FLEMING

It's game over for Universal's and Fox's participation in the feature adaptation of Microsoft's "Halo."

Both of the studios that agreed to co-finance the screen adaptation of the popular Microsoft game have abruptly backed out of the picture. While rumors had the studios concerned over a budget that was rising above the original projected $135 million pricetag, the filmmakers said the double defection came after U and Fox played hardball and unsuccessfully tried to get the filmmakers and Microsoft to reduce their profit participation.

The studios made the pay cut demand as a Oct. 15 deadline approached. On that day Microsoft was to have received the bulk of a promised $5 million upfront payday. Software giant also stood to receive 10% of gross for rights to the game and a script by Alex Garland.

Rumors of a budget that could approach $200 million raged Thursday, but Ken Kamins, who reps Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, vehemently denied that figure. The duo came aboard as exec producers, joining powerhouse producers Mary Parent, Scott Stuber and Peter Schlessel.

"The only budget the filmmakers every spoke about was $145 million less the 12.5% rebate that you get from shooting in New Zealand, which would put it at about $128 million," Kamins said. "That was the only number that was ever discussed.

"What happened was this: Universal, on behalf of both studios, asked for a meeting with the filmmakers just prior to the due date of a significant payment. Basically, they said that in order to move forward with the film, the filmmakers had to significantly reduce their deals. They waited until the last minute to have this conversation. Peter and Fran, after speaking with their producing partners and with Microsoft and Bungee (the studio that designed the original game), respectfully declined."

While the exit of two studios would seem to imperil "Halo," Kamins said Microsoft is already in talks with other distribution partners. Prep work on the film continues, he said. One advantage is having Jackson and Walsh as exec producers: Most of the pre-production is being done at their visual effects studios in New Zealand, Weta Digital and Weta Workshop, so there will be no stoppage.

As word of the U and Fox exit spread, speculation centered around the inexperience of "Halo" helmer Neill Blomkamp, a 27-year-old first-time feature director.

"Everybody is supremely confident in Neal," Kamins said. "Part of what excited Peter and Fran was Neal's vision. We're very confident this film will move forward with the creative partners intact, who will take the film to production."
Old 10-20-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This is too bad. I still think the director's short movie is phenomenal (see my last post) and I would love to see such a... realistic sci-fi movie come to the screen. If it's done in the style of Starship Troopers, we don't need it.
Old 10-20-06, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It will still be picked up by another studio and Jackson and crew are still on the project.
Old 10-21-06, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ketamine
It will still be picked up by another studio and Jackson and crew are still on the project.
Indeed, the movie is still going to get made. The studios just tried to strong arm Microsoft & Bungie at the at the eleventh Hour to try get a better deal. But that move probably works better when the opposition isn't worth a Gazillion dollars. They are still moving forward with the project doing pre-production.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.