Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spontaneous (2020, D: Duffield) S: Katherine Langford, Charlie Plummer, Piper Perabo, Rob Huebel

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spontaneous (2020, D: Duffield) S: Katherine Langford, Charlie Plummer, Piper Perabo, Rob Huebel

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-20, 11:25 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

Now on Digital and on Demand

Get ready for the most outrageous coming-of-age love story about growing up…and blowing up! When students in their high school begin inexplicably exploding (literally…), seniors Mara (Katherine Langford) and Dylan (Charlie Plummer) struggle to survive in a world where each moment may be their last. As an unexpected romance blossoms between them, Mara and Dylan discover that when tomorrow is no longer promised, they can finally start living for today!

Featuring: Katherine Langford, Charlie Plummer, Yvonne Orji, Hayley Law, Rob Huebel, Piper Perabo
97% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spontaneous

Old 10-09-20, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: Spontaneous (2020, D: Duffield) S: Katherine Langford, Charlie Plummer, Piper Perabo, Rob Huebel

Looks more interesting that that lazy poster design would suggest.
Old 10-09-20, 11:37 AM

Re: Spontaneous (2020, D: Duffield) S: Katherine Langford, Charlie Plummer, Piper Perabo, Rob Huebel

Got to save as much money as possible these days. Can’t waste money on marketing! Slap that shit together in no time!
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (10-09-20)
Old 10-09-20, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Right? Mismatched lighting on different actor pics, all caps everywhere, Adobe Illustrator "blood" splatter (instead of something more suitably photographic) with what I assume is 'clever' jizz spatter on the title ("because it's about hormonal teens, y'see!"). About an hour's work for a good designer. Who knows, maybe they held a 'design our poster' contest for high schoolers?

At the very end, the copyright line says it's a Paramount Picture (!), which makes the cheap poster even more egregious.

Last edited by Brian T; 10-09-20 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-12-20, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Once you realize that your movie is an R-rated teen (black) comedy that is going straight to VOD, I think the incentive to invest energy in a movie poster goes out the window.

Also, given the subject matter, I'm not sure what kind of images they could have used, since they clearly did not want to show the characters covered in blood.
Old 10-17-20, 06:54 AM

Currently available as $9.99/rental $14.99/own. I had some Amazon digital credits so I rented it and watched last night. Overall, it was pretty good. Langford was great. I've seen Plummer in a few things, he's fine I suppose, but something about him annoys me.

This is from the writer of The Babysitter. It his directorial debut. He has a pretty decent string of previous scripts, as I mentioned in the Love and Monsters thread (another script he has out now). This script was very good too. It does lack a bit directing wise, but I'll forgive that for a first time go around. The explosions are done effectively. There is one sequence in particular that is extremely well done.

Last edited by dex14; 11-17-20 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-17-20, 09:26 AM

This is on sale currently for $2.99 rental.
Old 02-20-21, 03:43 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

I liked this movie. I loved the first half. The second half was a bit of a downer. It didn't ruin the film. But I wish they followed through with the first half until the end.

Old 04-17-21, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I liked this movie. I loved the first half. The second half was a bit of a downer. It didn't ruin the film. But I wish they followed through with the first half until the end.
Just watched this tonight. Pretty much agree here. Like the movie a lot, especially the first half which nailed the dark comedy aspects. Second half became more of a coming-of-age story, which was fine but not nearly as entertaining.
Old 04-18-21, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Saw this on Prime.
Old 04-18-21, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Saw this on Prime.
Saw this on prime or watched it on prime? I saw this on prime as well but didn't watch it.
Old 04-18-21, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Saw this on prime or watched it on prime? I saw this on prime as well but didn't watch it.
same diff. Watched the whole movie while streaming on Amazon Prime.
Old 04-19-21, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Saw this last night and kind of hated it. I loathe when they write high school kids to be super "clever". I kept trying to figure out what it was a metaphor for and then it's just "life is unpredictable". -_- Wow. What novel insight.