Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Flash (2023, D: Muschietti) - S: Miller, Keaton and Affleck

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Flash (2023, D: Muschietti) - S: Miller, Keaton and Affleck

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-17, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts
re: The Flash (2023, D: Muschietti) - S: Miller, Keaton and Affleck

Yeah no director and they're on the third writer for this film who's starting from scratch but they expect it to be out by March of 2018? Good luck with that. If they actually intend on pushing it out by then I don't see how it won't be a mess.
Old 01-26-17, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

They need to just stop and regroup/rethink their film strategy. Because I'm sure some exec thinks audiences are going to absolutely flock in droves to a Cyborg movie in 2019 or whatever.
Old 01-26-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

They should use the tv series as a launching pad for a few episdoes and make Ezra's Flash from Earth-52 or something.
Old 01-26-17, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Sounds like they tried to rush this into production and now it's kind of blown up in their faces with all the creative turmoil.

They need to take a timeout and reassess everything and at least try to get it right. Get the script right and then try to find a director.
Old 02-02-17, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Kevin Smith brought up a good point about this movie. He said that he thinks some of the problems they are having is that the TV series has done such a good job with The Flash mythos that the scripts there getting are probably just derivative of the TV series. For example making Iris West black just like the TV series did. They then go on to say do we really need a Flash movie if all it's going to be is a big budget version of the series and I can't disagree.
Old 02-02-17, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by robin2099
Kevin Smith brought up a good point about this movie. He said that he thinks some of the problems they are having is that the TV series has done such a good job with The Flash mythos that the scripts there getting are probably just derivative of the TV series. For example making Iris West black just like the TV series did. They then go on to say do we really need a Flash movie if all it's going to be is a big budget version of the series and I can't disagree.
DC got a lot of shit for deciding to keep the TV and movie divisions separate and for not using Grant Gustin as Barry/The Flash. You have an actor who has been established as the character for 3 seasons now on TV and now they want to start fresh and then probably tell his origin story again with Ezra Miller. Not surprised that they are having trouble coming up with a good story.

I agree with Smith's perspective.
Old 02-02-17, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I prefer them keeping the two universes separate.
Old 02-02-17, 03:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

So far every DC movie in production is having major story development issues.
Old 02-02-17, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 02-02-17, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I'm still of the opinion that they should have tied the tv universe in with the films. It wouldn't have hurt at all and there would be a solid foundation laid for the characters once they hit the big screen,
Old 02-02-17, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Nothing but supposition on my part but-

If they were liking what they were seeing so far with regards to JUstice League and WW, I think they would have been inclined to just roll ahead with Flash, confident that they were finally on the right foot.

But if they weren't- if everything they are seeing with JL and WW is still sending up red flags, of course they would be second guessing their approach with this one while there was still time to hit the brakes.

Going back to square one with the script is a big clue to me that the stuff currently in production is still not where they want this stuff to be.
Old 02-02-17, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Had there been no COIE reference in BvS nor Luthor having files on people, maybe they wouldn't have to try to explain shit that pigeon holed them into a particular stand alone film. Lucky for WW that they can go to her past for her story.
Old 02-02-17, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Sounds like a pretty solid theory.

I've been back and forth on it. At first I was good keeping 'em separate because giving Flash a fancy ass movie costume and SFX and then going back to a dumpy tv costume* and tv sfx would suck... BUT, Grant Gustin is Barry Allen at this point, especially after the weird ass Ezra Miller intro in BvS and his Iron Man suit in the JL trailer.

Just put Flash on the back burner until the tv show ends. Movie Flash can still exist in the Justice League world without getting too deep into his mythos. Once the show ends, reboot and recast and then get a fresh start into the Flash universe.

*the show really needs to revisit his costume design though
Old 02-02-17, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

Most of the DC superheroes work much better when you know their contextual histories. The movies often lose that because everything has to be streamlined for six-year-olds.

They'd be much better off skipping Flash's origin story for this movie. It's not like his powers are complicated. He's the fastest man alive, boom. The CW show gets that over in the 30-second intro before every episode.

I'd actually open the movie with Flash's death in Crisis (which would be an awesome opening scene done in big-budget Hollywood style) and then go back in time.

Help us, Geoff Johns. You're our only hope.
Old 02-03-17, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Most of the DC superheroes work much better when you know their contextual histories. The movies often lose that because everything has to be streamlined for six-year-olds.

They'd be much better off skipping Flash's origin story for this movie. It's not like his powers are complicated. He's the fastest man alive, boom. The CW show gets that over in the 30-second intro before every episode.

I'd actually open the movie with Flash's death in Crisis (which would be an awesome opening scene done in big-budget Hollywood style) and then go back in time.

Help us, Geoff Johns. You're our only hope.
I haven't sat down to watch a whole season of Flash.. do they tap into explaining the Speed Force yet?
Old 02-03-17, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I haven't sat down to watch a whole season of Flash.. do they tap into explaining the Speed Force yet?
Not 'til the middle of Season 2. And now it's just pretty integrated to the show.
Old 02-03-17, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

The show has pretty much already delved into the deep end of the Flash's comic book mythos. It's not Smallville, which ran screaming from anything in the comics.
Old 02-03-17, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Was Smallville as good as The Flash TV show? Cause I like the Flash but I never watched Smallville cause it looked a bit corny
Old 02-03-17, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Smallville wishes it could have been half as good as Flash.
Old 02-03-17, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Smallville is flawed but very entertaining. The Flash covered more mythos in two seasons than Smallville did in 10 though. Different times.

Smallville is lifted by great casting though, particularly among the adults. The 'child' actors are hit(Chloe & Lois) or miss (Lana & Pete). Plus this iteration of Lex is great.
Old 04-27-17, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Rumor: Robert Zemeckis in talks to direct The Flash

This is from the Screen Junkies YouTube channel. Take this with a huge grain of salt.

A writer from The Wrap said he only took a meeting and there is no deal being discussed. He said WB is still talking to other directors. I highly doubt Zemeckis would take this job.
Old 04-27-17, 02:38 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

I don't see this happening... unless WB is going to give him complete control.
Old 04-27-17, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Here's my take. They've got a solid Flash presence on TV. Grant Gustin IS Barry Allen to millions of people now. So if they make a Flash movie, he should star in it. But we're pretty spoiled now in the movie effects world, because there have been some (not all) Flash TV show episodes that have damn-near movie quality effects. It would be a little weird to see just a bigger version of the same show at the movie theater.

So if I were DC, I'd just...drop it. Or hell, throw more money at the TV show or something. Keep characters like Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman on the big screen. Though shit, Tyler Hoechlin is pretty good on Supergirl as Superman too in the little bit we've seen. Though that character could definitely improve with better effects.

I really don't know what they should do. It's a big mess. It does make it clear why Marvel doesn't send a version of Iron Man or Thor down to Agents of Shield though too. Better to keep them separate.
Old 04-27-17, 02:53 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 05-16-17, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Or maybe he is (article written by Umberto )

Insider: Robert Zemeckis Is Frontrunner to Direct ‘The Flash’ (Exclusive)

http://www.thewrap.com/robert-zemeck...lms-the-flash/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.