Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Flash (2023, D: Muschietti) - S: Miller, Keaton and Affleck

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Flash (2023, D: Muschietti) - S: Miller, Keaton and Affleck

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-16, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
re: The Flash (2023, D: Muschietti) - S: Miller, Keaton and Affleck

Another cast member speaking up. First Cavanagh, then Irons, now Speedy

During an interview at MCM Comic Con, Arrow star Willa Holland stated frustration with the divide betweenDC's television and movie universes. "Marvel does it in their own weird way - the mash between Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and the movies and stuff," Holland told the Daily Mirror. "So it's a little upsetting because you know it is possible and it can be done and how good it would be if it was done."

One example Holland gave was the casting of Ezra Miller as the Flash in the DC Cinematic Universe over Grant Gustin, who plays Barry Allen in the CW television show. "Basically you're giving the world two different Flashes all of a sudden," Holland said. She added that Gustin would "kill it" playing the Flash on the big screen.

Holland also added that plans for the Suicide Squad movie interfered with Arrow's plans for Harley Quinn and other DC characters. Although the Suicide Squad appeared in several episodes during the first few season of Arrow, the show's versions of Deadshot and Amanda Waller were both killed when the show was informed they interfered with plans for a movie.

However, despite those frustrations, Holland admitted it was no good arguing or complaining about the changes, since DC/Warner Bros were the people who gave them their jobs in the first place. So, she said, "You just have to sit there on your hands!"
Old 05-31-16, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I used to be on the side of having the two worlds connected but now I think it's better to keep them separated. Not sure if Agents of SHIELD is the best example of being successful from what I've read.
Old 05-31-16, 04:28 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

My basic view is "Keep Zack Snyder the fuck away from my Arrowverse characters." So while I feel bad for Gustin on a professional level, I'd rather not have Snyder fuck up the show.

To that end, it's a fucking shame that they wouldn't let Arrow do their own thing with Waller, Deadshot, and the Suicide Squad.
Old 05-31-16, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Maaaan. DC/Time Warner...Just puh-leez MULTIVERSE all this shit so everyone can shut the fuck up.

Movie Multiverse...Flash = Miller
TV Multiverse...Flash = Gustin
Comic Multiverse...Flash = Flash

Bonus Multiverses:
Vertigo Multiverse
Video Games Multiverse
Cartoon Multiverse

That's it! PERIOD...Now exceptions, the main 3 NEVER crossover. Everyone can go back to having fits over other stupid shit.
Old 05-31-16, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

But where does:
Spoiler:

fit in?
Old 05-31-16, 05:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Maaaan. DC/Time Warner...Just puh-leez MULTIVERSE all this shit so everyone can shut the fuck up.

Movie Multiverse...Flash = Miller
TV Multiverse...Flash = Gustin
Comic Multiverse...Flash = Flash

Bonus Multiverses:
Vertigo Multiverse
Video Games Multiverse
Cartoon Multiverse

That's it! PERIOD...Now exceptions, the main 3 NEVER crossover. Everyone can go back to having fits over other stupid shit.
The TV show has already established that the multiverse exists, but it also established that the same people look the same in other dimensions (eg Barry Allen looks the same on Earth 1 and Earth 2, etc).

It would be easier if they made Ezra Miller the original Wally West instead of Barry Allen.
Old 05-31-16, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
But where does:
Spoiler:

fit in?
Spoiler:
Lego Multiverse aka Overrated Multiverse
Old 05-31-16, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Supermallet
The TV show has already established that the multiverse exists, but it also established that the same people look the same in other dimensions (eg Barry Allen looks the same on Earth 1 and Earth 2, etc).

It would be easier if they made Ezra Miller the original Wally West instead of Barry Allen.
Easier? Why bother? You already have him as the Movie Flash in that Multiverse. Done. And again, in my version...NONE of the TV, MOVIE or Comic MV's ever cross. So there is no need to worry about doppelgangers on TV MV Earth(s) looking like characters in the Movie MV Earth(s). It's locked down tight.

In other words...each Multiverse is it's own multiverse. Miller Flash can have all the dopplegagners they want in the Movie Multiverse; but he does not exist at all in the TV Multiverse or Comic Multiverse. So now there is nothing to bitch about because TV Flash will NEVER be Movie Flash... TV Green Arrow will NEVER be the Movie Green Arrow. There is nothing to complain about because it will never be a possibility.
Old 05-31-16, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, one of the multiverse images Barry saw when travelling to Earth 2 was John Wesley Shipp's Flash from the old CBS series, so there's at least one universe where Barry Allen looked like John Wesley Shipp and not Grant Gustin.
Old 05-31-16, 08:36 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Easier? Why bother? You already have him as the Movie Flash in that Multiverse. Done. And again, in my version...NONE of the TV, MOVIE or Comic MV's ever cross. So there is no need to worry about doppelgangers on TV MV Earth(s) looking like characters in the Movie MV Earth(s). It's locked down tight.

In other words...each Multiverse is it's own multiverse. Miller Flash can have all the dopplegagners they want in the Movie Multiverse; but he does not exist at all in the TV Multiverse or Comic Multiverse. So now there is nothing to bitch about because TV Flash will NEVER be Movie Flash... TV Green Arrow will NEVER be the Movie Green Arrow. There is nothing to complain about because it will never be a possibility.
Ah, I see what you're saying. Of course, I'd still rather have Grant Gustin in the movie because he's a better actor than Ezra Miller.
Old 05-31-16, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Yeah, if there's an infinite number of universes, he's probably a bug flash in one, a monkey Flash in another and a childhood-ruining lady Flash in another.
Old 05-31-16, 08:56 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Super X
Actually, one of the multiverse images Barry saw when travelling to Earth 2 was John Wesley Shipp's Flash from the old CBS series, so there's at least one universe where Barry Allen looked like John Wesley Shipp and not Grant Gustin.
Good catch, I missed that one. I'll be quiet now.

Except to say I'd love to see Sea Anemone Flash finally done right on the big screen.
Old 05-31-16, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

It will blow people's minds when Grant shows up in the Flash movie as a surprise cameo.
Old 06-01-16, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Synder uses the multiverse as an excuse to do what he wants. Period.
Old 06-01-16, 08:12 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah, I see what you're saying. Of course, I'd still rather have Grant Gustin in the movie because he's a better actor than Ezra Miller.
Is it that bad? Cuz Gustin doesn't really have any material to really lift up any quality beyond Network TV. Shit.

Gustin is fine. He's an average actor from what I've seen and that's fine and dandy for him. The scripts though broken down to character drama don't really push him, or most of the actors, to do anything to stand out in some way to be memorable in quality. It just... comes off as average TV acting. Which is really cliche.
Old 06-01-16, 11:09 AM
Banned by request

You're biased against TV. The worst moments of The Flash TV show were better than the best moments of BvS.
Old 06-01-16, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Gustin is fantastic as Barry Allen. He is the comic book character. He's approaching Christopher Reeve levels of greatness.

I was actually worried before the show ran that this Barry Allen attempt on TV would come off more as a derivative Wally West personality, but Johns clearly had a huge influence making sure they got Barry Allen on screen. I'm eternally grateful for that decision.
Old 06-01-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Gustin is a great Flash, and it's a great show.

Speaking of integrating TV and movie worlds -- and I've said this before -- there's no reason why you couldn't have Amell as GA and Gustin as Flash, without having to reconcile them with their TV "continuity".

Lord how I despise "continuity".

Anyway, have them show up, fully formed, as GA and Flash. They have a vague "backstory" that loosely corresponds to their respective shows, and then move on with big, exciting Justice League action.

When I read a JLA comic as a kid, there wasn't a single moment where I stopped and wondered how the story I read "fit" in with Green Arrow's "continuity". I just accepted it and moved on. I think the DCEU should do the same. I'd much rather see Amell and Gustin in a JL movie in their respective roles, doing GA and Flash derring-do and other such-as.

fisting
Old 06-01-16, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ All this. How did 15 members of the JLA find the time to all get together? Who cares?! You just read it.

Also Flash TV has pulled off more holy shit moments than BVS even attempted.

Last edited by stingermck; 06-01-16 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-02-16, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For a change of pace, some actual news:

‘The Flash’ Lands ‘Dope’ Helmer Rick Famuyiwa; He Will Direct Ezra Miller As Fastest Man Alive

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros has found its director for its feature The Flash. The studio has chosen Rick Famuyiwa, the up and coming director who most recently helmed the Sundance pic Dope. He will step in and direct the film that Warner Bros has slotted for release on March 16, 2018 starring Miller, who is in starmaking mode at the studio in the Harry Potter spinoff Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them, and who also had a cameo in Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice and will appear in The Justice League Part One. They will work out a deal quickly.

The script is written by Seth Grahame-Smith, who was originally going to make his helming debut but exited the project over creative differences. Grahame-Smith’s take on the iconic DC Entertainment superhero is based on a treatment by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, the Lego Movie duo that once expected to helm the picture. Warner Bros is looking for the right chemical mix on its superhero picture line based on the DC Comics heroes, and the feeling internally was that Famuyiwa provided a vision that would resonate with young viewers and that vision was very compatible with the script that the studio is moving toward the start gate with. That vision was executed to strong reviews in Dope, the 2015 film about a young geek trying to survive in a tough Los Angeles neighborhood.

It is a big opportunity for Famuyiwa, whose resume so far has been small distinctive indies like The Wood, Brown Sugar, and Our Family Wedding. He’ll be playing in a much bigger pond, now. Famuyiwa is repped by WME and Oasis.
http://deadline.com/2016/06/the-flas...os-1201766332/
Old 06-02-16, 02:25 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

From the The Wood to The Flash. That is a very interesting choice. I wonder if he'll leave for creative differences too.
Old 06-02-16, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like a newbie the studio can control.
Old 06-02-16, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Possible, but Dope was really well directed, minus one scene near the end.

Hopefully this will have an equally great soundtrack.
Old 06-02-16, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

That's pretty dope, I guess.
Old 07-08-16, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

‘The Flash’: ‘Dope’ Actress Kiersey Clemons Top Choice for Female Lead (EXCLUSIVE)

“The Flash” director Rick Famuyiwa is already zeroing in on a familiar face for the DC film’s female lead.

Sources tell Variety that Famuyiwa’s top choice for the female lead in “The Flash” is Kiersey Clemons, who also starred in Famuyiwa’s critically acclaimed dramedy “Dope.“

Warner Bros. had no comment on the casting.

The film stars Ezra Miller, who first appeared as the superhero in WB’s “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.”

While details are still vague on who the character may be, insiders say it is likely to be Iris West, the tough-as-nails journalist and friend of Barry Allen, the alter ego of the Flash.

“The Flash” had to overcome the hurdle of replacing the film’s original director, Seth Grahame-Smith, who parted ways with the project over creative differences. The film, however, appears to be able to meet its start date. Production is expected to commence sometime this year.

The studio is keeping Smith’s most recent draft of the script, which is based on a treatment by Chris Miller and Phil Lord.
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/th...ad-1201810036/

Other names in the mix to play Iris West in THE FLASH movie along with Kiersey Clemons are singer Rita Ora and Lucy Boynton.
https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/751471913390608384

Last edited by TheMovieman; 07-08-16 at 01:56 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.