Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Who else was extremely aroused during The Machinist?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Who else was extremely aroused during The Machinist?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's to be confused about? Pretty straightforward movie
Old 06-13-05, 03:32 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I watched this Saturday night and liked it quite a bit. Bale's appearance was actually a bit too distracting from the movie though. Sure it was impressive and believable for the character, but in a way, it took away from the movie.

Two questions though: 1) Any significance to the bald guy's thumb being a toe and 2) did the actual accident take place near the tower (hence all the references to it)?
Old 06-13-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
In regards to number two, yes.
Spoiler:
I believe when you see Trevor finally recalling the events you see the child's mom running with the tower in the background while Bale watches, before driving away.
Old 06-13-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Two questions though: 1) Any significance to the bald guy's thumb being a toe?
Not that I know of. They will sometimes rebuild fingers with toes so I am guessing that is where that came from. Maybe some deep meaning there that I missed though.
Old 06-13-05, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by scott shelton
It's easier than you think.
Understandable, I take it your not a fan of B-movies.
Old 06-16-05, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it was done well. so on some level it liked it. listening to the commentary as i type and he just said how he didn't want it to be thought of as a horror movie, a session 9 was a bit more closer to what i was expecting.

**************spoilers***************

unfortunately, evening ignoring the spoilers before i saw it, the asking about a twist ending and the fight club refrence made me look at the begining of the movie for those type elements. while i didn't have it figured out, new Ivan was imagination/split personality and that ruined the pay off. had i not know, ie, wasn't looking for it, i might of enjoyed this a whole lot more.

still done well and interesting. glad i rented it, would of been a poor blind buy for me though.
Old 06-16-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Christ do we have to bring in comparisons to fight club here? Fight club was fucking average and The Machinist is as good as they come.

This movie blew me away and I have never seen anything like this attempted on screen before (please throw away your Lynch shit. Also, I love Lynch). Great direction and great performaces all around.

I will be watching this movie again tomorrow because I'm so surprised by it. Just a messed up take on
Spoiler:
Guilt
Old 06-17-05, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
blind bought it a couple days ago, recommended to me by some friends of mine. I really liked the movie. Liked the way it was shot, and overall thought Christian Bale's performance was solid. though how skinny he was did distract me at first (Stevie's bathroom scene), I got over it really quick, and was more into figuring out what the hell was going on. definitely a neat little take on
Spoiler:
guilt
as the above poster mentioned.
Old 06-23-05, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got around to watching this (picked it up as a blind buy). While I thought it was decent, I don't think it did anything story-wise that hasn't been done before. The acting was good, the direction was sharp...I just feel like the story fell flat:

Spoiler:
So the guy sees somebody that nobody else sees? Oh, these actions that we've watched play out on screen for an hour have just been in his mind? Turns out he was just driven mad by some past event? It all just reminded me a bit too much of every other "amazing, mind-bending thriller" of the past decade.

I commend Bale on his performance and his commitment to the role. I commend Brad Anderson on a wonderful directorial effort. Kudos to his cinematographer, too. However, I was thoroughly unimpressed with the screenplay. Rather by-the-numbers, in my opinion...

-JP
Old 06-24-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought it was really good. It made sense to me throughout and the reveal at the end was definately an A-Ha moment for me.
Old 06-24-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:
What was with the fishing picture of Trevor/Ivan and Reynolds (the fat co-worker - I believe that was his name) scene? I got that it was really Trevor, but what was with the phone call he made to Reynolds? Was it real or just his imagination?

If real - why would Reynolds tell him to keep his mouth shut?

I can see how it would be in his imagination, but with the rest of what was going on being "real" (Trevor trying to find out about "Ivan", the post-its, trying to convince his co-workers, etc.) why would the phone call be in his imagination?

Or was it just a whole imaginary thought of Trevor really talking to himself as Reynolds -- not wanting to figure out that it was all about his hit and run?

I guess I just missed something - yet I got the rest of the film.

Great movie.

Last edited by conscience; 06-24-05 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-26-05, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Great movie. I enjoyed it, and the explanation was substantial. It kept me awake after being up for 20-some-odd hours due to work, and that's better than most movies can do.
Old 06-26-05, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by conscience
Spoiler:
What was with the fishing picture of Trevor/Ivan and Reynolds (the fat co-worker - I believe that was his name) scene? I got that it was really Trevor, but what was with the phone call he made to Reynolds? Was it real or just his imagination?

If real - why would Reynolds tell him to keep his mouth shut?

Although I don't really remember this particular scene a possible explanation could be:

Spoiler:
that Reynolds knew about the hit and run and was telling Trevor to keep his mouth shut about that
Old 06-26-05, 05:11 AM

I think a better explanation might be:

Spoiler:
poor writing.

-JP
Old 06-26-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Overall, it was a good movie. However, there were a few inconsistencies. Which is why I thought the movie would take a more supernatural twist--like he couldn't wake up from his own dreams because he was actually dying in a hospital bed.
Old 06-27-05, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched it last weekend. I liked, but not nearly as much as Memento.

Another movie it really reminded me of is Jacob's Ladder, which would fit what DVD Polizei thought The Machinist could end up being.

My hat is off to the production department, which turned Barcelona (of all places) into LA.
Old 06-27-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
***** YE BE READING SPOILERS BELOW *****

Great movie, didn't have issues understanding the plot although Trevor being crazy and guilty of the hit & run seemed like a deus ex machina to explain sloppy writing.

Although honestly, to some extent you had to know things were NOT OK from the beginning. It was obvious he's not well.

It was a nice touch that the blood in the fridge was from the fish, and not some human corpse that would've downgraded the creepiness of the movie.

I thought the movie's atmosphere was excellent, and I was continually frightened throughout. Atmpshere always gets me though.

***** END OF SPOILERS *****

Great blind buy.
Old 06-27-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
I think a better explanation might be:

Spoiler:
poor writing.
Hahaha, that was good for a chuckle This is honestly waht I think I got out of some of the inconsistencies too...
Old 07-03-05, 06:53 PM
Retired

Rented and watched it today.

Great flick. I wasn't confused at all. They tied up everything wonderfully at the end.

Bale was great. Can't believe he lost that much weight for the role, even more impressive is how quickly he bulked back up for Batman. Can't be good on the body though.

Even worse, in the documentary they mention that in the sewer scenes he was really running through raw human sewage and refused to wear any rubber boats or anything.
Old 01-06-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Finally saw this today and the first thing that came to mind...

Originally Posted by ArchibaldTuttle
Also how can you not like a movie with Michael Ironside in it?

*possible spoilers*

The guy's got a problem with losing limbs!
(Total Recall,Starship Troopers,and The Machinist)
Old 01-06-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rival11
Fight club was fucking average... blah, blah, blah.
What the fuck?!
Old 01-07-06, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
What the fuck?!
What can I say......I love the reactions
Old 01-07-06, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
Fight Club
Old 01-07-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Rival11, Fight Club was about as deep as a dog's water bowl while The Machinist was very thought provoking. Too bad the wrong movie received the credit.
Old 01-08-06, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I agree with Rival11, Fight Club was about as deep as a dog's water bowl while The Machinist was very thought provoking. Too bad the wrong movie received the credit.
Yes, fuck the masses for having a collective opinion that runs opposite your own...they're wrong and we'll be damned if you're not right.

-JP

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.