Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone Else Anxious For The Serenity Movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Anyone Else Anxious For The Serenity Movie?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-04, 08:37 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I never saw the series. Do they plan to make the movie accessable to people unfamiliar with the characters?
Old 11-08-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've never looked more forward to a movie than this one. I'm going to drag as many people as I can to it! I've already spread Firefly the series to three other people (who have, in turn at least spread it to 3 or 4 others!). I'm not fond of movie theatres anymore, and I always vowed to never go opening night to see something, but rest assured I'll be there April 22nd!
Old 11-08-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
I never saw the series. Do they plan to make the movie accessable to people unfamiliar with the characters?
I think that's the plan... but I'd still watch the series first. It was cancelled after only fourteen episodes were produced, but what was made was excellent.
Old 11-08-04, 11:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I may do that...but I think it's unrealistic to expect the typical movie-goer to sit and watch 14 hours on DVD before going to see a film. It'll be interesting to see how this is marketed and what the box office is.
Old 11-09-04, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anxious? This will most likely be the only movie I see in the theater next year. And of course I'll pick up the DVD when it comes out.
Old 11-09-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
I was gonna say Barry Woodward is looking forward to it.
Old 11-09-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, I'll wait till DVD and I am a Whedon fan. Didn't care too much for the show.

I tend to think this will be a hard one for mainstream audiences to embrace.
Old 11-10-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by riley_dude
No, I'll wait till DVD and I am a Whedon fan. Didn't care too much for the show.

I tend to think this will be a hard one for mainstream audiences to embrace.
I don't know about that. There are a lot of non-scifi viewers who enjoy Firefly. It appeals to older viewers who grew up on Gunsmoke as well as us younger Star Wars generation. Some people like the characters and that it is not all about ray guns. It crosses boundaries.

Did you watch the show from the beginning on DVD? If not, perhaps you should give it another try.
Old 11-10-04, 01:47 PM
Suspended

Never seen the series on TV, so let me see if I got this right.....

Firefly was the series on Fox, it got cancelled due to whatever. So after canceling the series they decide to make a feature movie? Sounds weird to me usually its if a series is successful, then spawn a movie (per X-Files) not the other way around, seems weird.

On the other hand, with all the positive remakrs on this show so far, I think I may have to pick up the DVD and check it out, sounds interesting.
Old 11-10-04, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by Pistol Pete
I don't know about that. There are a lot of non-scifi viewers who enjoy Firefly. It appeals to older viewers who grew up on Gunsmoke as well as us younger Star Wars generation. Some people like the characters and that it is not all about ray guns. It crosses boundaries.

Did you watch the show from the beginning on DVD? If not, perhaps you should give it another try.
Indeed. I was introduced to Firefly in one marathon sitting a few months ago, and fell in love with it. Since then, I've introduced it to my best friend, his mom, my brother, and my parents. All of them loved it and can't wait for the movie. So I'd say it's not a matter of finding who likes Firefly, but finding who doesn't.

The movie might have a tough time if it totally relied on new viewers to be successful, but the fact is, it doesn't--largely because the movie was relatively cheap to make. Based on the sales records of the DVD set, if only those who purchased the series were to see the movie in the theater, it would be a big success. And there's a whole lot of extra padding there, because for everyone who bought the TV series, there's a sibling or friend who watched it with them.
Old 11-10-04, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by animalmystic

Firefly was the series on Fox, it got cancelled due to whatever. So after canceling the series they decide to make a feature movie?
The DVDs sold well enough to warrant this. However, it's not the same "they"--Universal, not Fox, is behind the movie.

On the other hand, with all the positive remakrs on this show so far, I think I may have to pick up the DVD and check it out, sounds interesting.
You should definitely check it out!
Old 11-10-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Firefly was the series on Fox, it got cancelled due to whatever. So after canceling the series they decide to make a feature movie? Sounds weird to me usually its if a series is successful, then spawn a movie (per X-Files) not the other way around, seems weird.

The force behind this strange twist are the fans. Those of us who managed to view a few episodes while Fox screwed with the schedule, advertising, and episode order really enjoyed the show. Fox cancelled it after 11 episodes because the ratings were low. But Fox never really gave it a chance to catch on. Heck, even X-Files was kinda slow in it's early days.

The DVD sales were a referendum on the popularity of the show. These numbers show what ratings the series was capable of given the proper support from the network. This led to a movie and hopefully a trilogy. The holy grail is seeing the show or a spin-off back on the small screen.

It may be an odd path, but you can thank Fox Networks for it.
Old 11-10-04, 05:14 PM
Suspended

Thanks Duder and Pistol for the recap of what was going on, it has really peaked my interest in this show now. I will def be checking out the DVD on this and the movie!! Thanks