Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What do you think is the #1 twist ending in movie history? (spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What do you think is the #1 twist ending in movie history? (spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-04, 12:08 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Already mentioned, but some of my favs....

Primal Fear
Se7en
6th Sense
Memento
Usual Suspects
Old 10-14-04, 12:14 PM

Another vote for Primal Fear, also Shattered, Usual Suspects, Empire Strikes Back without a doubt.
Old 10-14-04, 12:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-14-04, 12:48 PM

Empire Strikes Back no doubt.

How can anybody even consider 6th sense for this? The ending was transparent from a mile away to many people, that doesn't qualify as the best ever.
Old 10-14-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Empire Strikes Back
Se7en
Fight Club
Tommy Boy
Old 10-14-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Nuff

How can anybody even consider 6th sense for this? The ending was transparent from a mile away to many people, that doesn't qualify as the best ever.
I don't see how you couldn't consider The Sixth Sense, and i've always felt that most people who said they figured out the ending half way through the film was just using that as an excuse for not liking it.

For me, the impact of the more famous "twists" like in Empire and Planet of the Apes are lessened through years of parody and re-enactment. Plus, it doesn't help that i'm young and never got to see those at the time of their theatrical release.
Old 10-14-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally posted by Nuff

I think it was only easy to see if you went into the movie knowing that there was a surprise ending. For example, when I saw the Villiage I was well aware that there was going to be a twist, so I couldn't help but be on the lookout for clues instead of just watching the story.

I didn't know a thing about The 6th Sense when I saw it, and I was blown away by the ending. Literally jawdropped.

Sure, a lot of people probabely saw it coming, but I think that it was handled beautifully, and for many people the ending was a teriffic shock.
Old 10-14-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Sixth Sense floored me and I used to take pride in the fact I could regularly guess the endings of movies.
I'm not sure if it would be considered a twist ending since you can guess what's going on during the movie, but I LOVED the ending to Northfork.
Old 10-14-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mulholland Drive=that final act was just plain wrong.
Old 10-14-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Empire Strikes Back...by far
Old 10-14-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
The Last American Virgin
Old 10-14-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
DIABOLIQUE
Old 10-14-04, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by marty888
DIABOLIQUE
The original or the Sharon Stone remake?
Old 10-14-04, 04:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
No way out - Kevin Costner
OMG. So pissed at the end that I didn't see that comming based on the clip from the start of the film. Great twist.
Old 10-14-04, 08:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Conversation
Memento
Basic
The Sixth Sense
Lone Star
Old 10-14-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Empire Strikes Back - no contest
Fight Club
The Usual Suspects
The Devil's Advocate
Old 10-14-04, 11:44 PM

I just watched "Shade" and it was an okay movie with a pretty good twist.

And "Confidence" was a good one too imo.
Old 10-14-04, 11:58 PM

Gonna go with The Sixth Sense, it just completely floored me like no other movie before or after.
Old 10-15-04, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Another one I just remembered. The chilling ending of Georges Sluizer's Spoorloos (aka L'Homme qui Voulait Savoir, aka The Vanishing)

No, NOT the 1993 remake "The Vanishing" by the same director which has an ending better suited (sigh...) to North American audiences.
Old 10-15-04, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by movielib
I think you've got an extra monkey in there.
Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
oops! Duh!
Like the man said, See da name? Go get me some coffee . . . .

Hilarious. Every time I see it I just crack up.

PEACH
Old 10-15-04, 08:47 AM

Spoiler:
The ending surprised the living hell out of me. I just couldn't for the life of me see how he was going to pull it off!

PEACH
Old 10-15-04, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by eXcentris
Another one I just remembered. The chilling ending of Georges Sluizer's Spoorloos (aka L'Homme qui Voulait Savoir, aka The Vanishing)

No, NOT the 1993 remake "The Vanishing" by the same director which has an ending better suited (sigh...) to North American audiences.
Almost forgot about that one. Excellent movie, the ending is chilling. Hated the American version, what crap.
Old 10-15-04, 10:44 AM

I have never met anybody who says they knew the twist in sixth sense before it happened.

Anybody who claims they did is just lying to make themselves feel better or look smarter.

Or maybe they were told in advance that there was a twist.
Old 10-15-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Ghostface180
Basic
Ugh. "I have an idea! Let's have a movie comprised COMPLETELY of twists, with no regard for plot, characters or interesting anything!"

God, that film annoyed me. Moreover, the screenwriter was SO pleased with that bloody film, there's a bit on the DVD dedicated to him reading his own script out loud. Sigh...
Originally posted by MISS PEACH
The Score - yeah, I HAD to post a picture of the film, and the stuff in the spoilers weren't even spoilers
Another ending that let me down; this was a case of "ow, I know exactly how this will end up..." followed by me hoping it would turn it around... and then followed the predictable path. Oh well. To each their own, I suppose.
Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
Like Birrman54 diplomaticly says, I guess it's up for debate. I think it's very clear
Spoiler:
that the murders were all real. Bateman is so generic and un-unique that he blends in with everyone else, he isn't a 'master of the universe', he is a complete nothing. Not even commiting the most henious acts are enough to make him noticable.
See, this is part of why this is such a good film; everyone's got a different take.
Spoiler:
Bateman IS a nothing, yes - which is why he resorts to killing people ferociously in his mind, much like any of us might say I'll kill that guy" if we're jealous of someone. Bateman, however, is mad - he believes it's all real. This is his defense mechanism - the denial that allows him to succeed in the figuratively cut-throat world of trading. There's quite a bit of evidence to state that the deaths are illusory; no-one hears the chainsaw, blood trails disappear, stuff repeats itself, Bateman sees things ("feed me a stray cat!") and the person he's "killed" is in fact alive. While the latter might be a statement about the 80's culture - after all, Allen never recognized Bateman - I doubt his doctor would make the same mistake.
Old 10-15-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by kcbrett5
I have never met anybody who says they knew the twist in sixth sense before it happened.
Anybody who claims they did is just lying to make themselves feel better or look smarter.
That's a bullshit statement and you know it.

... not to mention, if you never MET one of those certain people, how can you prejudge them so quickly?

The Sixth Sense got a lot of people. Some got the movie just a bit quicker. That's all.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.