Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Will Universal sell the rights to Hulk? Will other studios sell as well?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-04, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Since Hulk was more or less a failure for Universal, do you think they would be willing to just chuck the rights to the character altogether?

IMO, Hulk was done well. However, the last twenty minutes saw a great movie get flushed down the toilet. (You know, if you look at the photography in the last few minutes, it DOES look like a toilet swirling.) As a result, Hulk turned into a flop.

I think that Hulk was the kind of character that would have best been done as a supporting character in another Marvel movie. It would be really cool, IMO, if Universal sold the rights to Hulk to Sony and gave him a cameo in a Spider-Man movie. Hey, I also think it would be cool to have DareDevil cameo as well.

DD and Hulk were both botched jobs IMO, and I think they would have benefited from having cameos in movies of other heroes before getting their own movie. This would help familiarize audiences with the continuity of the Marvel universe and help them gain a better understanding of the characters. Also, it would be a chance for what was a failure before to become a success in another light.
Old 10-12-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hulk was a far better film than DD! It was just marketed as a summer action romp, when it was an arthouse character drama. I liked what Ang Lee did. He elevated the cheesy character and it's story to greater heights, but in hindsight, he wasn't the best choice to direct this kind of film based on this kind of character.
Old 10-12-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I doubt it, especially since there's ongoing rumors about a sequel.
Old 10-12-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if they sequel will be a real sequel, or a re-imagining?

I picture it as being a first movie in which Hulk already exists and having him start kicking ass in the first fifteen minutes or so. (basicallly a movie saying the first one was nothing but origin and being a kick start to the real story)
Old 10-12-04, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
I wonder if they sequel will be a real sequel, or a re-imagining?

I picture it as being a first movie in which Hulk already exists and having him start kicking ass in the first fifteen minutes or so. (basicallly a movie saying the first one was nothing but origin and being a kick start to the real story)
Eric Bana has stated he's keen on reprising the role. Even though there was a tepid reception of the original, there's really no reason to do a reimagining. The movie laid the groundworks of who Hulk is, so now they can just go crazy and have a story more focused on smashing things while maintaining continuity. No doubt Ang Lee will not be given the director's chair again (even though I think it's still a good film), but I just see no reason to redo the origin, recast the role, or change the look. It wasn't that which caused the negative public reaction. And, it wasn't really a bomb. Adding worldwide receipts plus some excellent DVD sales, this film more than likely has gotten in the black.

Now, I don't think Hulk was marketed incorrectly, unless one thinks marketing is about anything besides making money. As said, this was very much a character piece much artier than your average film. Now, if they had marketed it as that movie, would it really have made more money? For some reason I doubt it. The sell was the special effects and the action, let people know that's not there like they think and I doubt you'd have a higher grossing movie. But, while I liked the movie, this is the Hulk, and I would like to see more smashing. But I thought the effects work was stellar, and I like Bana so hopefully a little more fun is injected into the hopefully to be made sequel. The desert rampage is such an awesome scene, can't wait to see something in that vein again.
Old 10-12-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMO, Hulk was the worst comic-book movie ever made. Possibly the worst movie ever made. It had to do with the editing, I felt like I was watching raw footage. If I was Universal I'd gladly sell the rights. But then again, Universal's probably gotta be the worst studio for blockbusters so they'll probably make a sequel.
Old 10-12-04, 11:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A sequel is already in the works. It's not a IF, it's a WHEN!
Old 10-13-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
IMO, Hulk was the worst comic-book movie ever made. Possibly the worst movie ever made. It had to do with the editing, I felt like I was watching raw footage. If I was Universal I'd gladly sell the rights. But then again, Universal's probably gotta be the worst studio for blockbusters so they'll probably make a sequel.
Have you seen Dolph Lundgren's Punisher?
Old 10-13-04, 01:39 AM

The film's producer (I forget her name, but it's the woman behind many huge action flicks) said something to the effect of "thank god for the DVD sales" and implied it was the DVD that will make the sequel possible. The Marvel film honchos have repeatedly said they will go ahead with a sequel, too. You can bet any sequel is going to be a lot more action packed and straighforward.

Also, the guy who said the film looked like raw footage is out of his freaking gourd. The enormous amount of thought, effort, and skill that went into constructing the movie is painfully obvious in every frame.. but especially the comics panels sequences and the action sequences. Just incredible, unparallelled stuff. The film is simply let down by a too ambitious final 10 minutes. It was a fine balance of depth & accessibility before that.
Old 10-13-04, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
I didn't like the Hulk. I wanted Hulk Smash!!! All I got was yada yada yada.

At least DD was more faithful to the comic book, but Affleck and making Kingpin a puss killed it for me.
Old 10-13-04, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Universal will not throw away the Hulk. it has it's Islands of adventure around it. With that alone in it's theme park it can market some movie. They will just be smarter next time and spend wisely on advertising and marketing it's products. No need to over due it with hulk undies and all that other crap that was all over the place.
Old 10-13-04, 07:24 AM

Damn dude, Dolph's Punisher flick WAS better than Hulk. I couldn't WAIT to leave the damn theater for Hulk. The ONLY time the movie shined was when he was tossing tanks in the desert. Not even the gracious boobage of her royal hotness Jennifer Connelly could save that film.
Old 10-13-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Having grown up on Hulk comic books and wanting all my life to see a big-budget Hulk movie, this "Hulk" was the biggest disappointment for me since Star Wars: Episode I. It would be nice to see Universal or some other studio try it again - and with some enthusiasm next time like Sam Raimi obviously has for the character of Spider-Man. But I'm skeptical you're going to get that many people who feel cheated by the first one to come back a second time. So call me pessimistic, but I think any franchise hopes were, as the original poster implied, flushed down the toilet.
Old 10-13-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally posted by Wompratz
Damn dude, Dolph's Punisher flick WAS better than Hulk.
You can't be serious.
Old 10-13-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Considering it was a generic 80's revenge flick with the only real connection to the punisher was he had skulls on his knives. It was terrible.
Old 10-13-04, 10:45 AM
Banned

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
IMO, Hulk was the worst comic-book movie ever made. Possibly the worst movie ever made.
Over-exaggerate much?
Old 10-13-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Universal will not throw away the Hulk. it has it's Islands of adventure around it. With that alone in it's theme park it can market some movie. They will just be smarter next time and spend wisely on advertising and marketing it's products. No need to over due it with hulk undies and all that other crap that was all over the place.
Well, Universal pretty much has all Marvel holdings as far as its theme parks go, doesn't it?
Old 10-13-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
All in all the Hulk was not as bad as many of us portrayed it to be. However it had three major flaws (two of which have been pointed out):

1.) Ang Lee -- It isn't that he did a bad job; it's more that he was not the right type of director for the job. His character development was fantastic, but when it came time for the big "action finale" he let it fall apart by trying to focus on story.

2.) The Big Action Finale -- was horrible script-wise. Let's face it.

3.) I think that this is the biggest basis for most of the criticism: The Hulk does not appear until almost 45 MINUTES into the movie! Fine for telling a story, but not fine when you market an action pick featuring a child's hero.

I would line up for the sequel . . . well, I'll see it anyway.
Old 10-13-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Your part 3 applies to other comic book films that have been successful though, like Spider-Man or Superman. Although those are much more recognizable characters, and i think its easier for the audience to watch Clark Kent or Peter Parker then Bruce Banner.
Old 10-13-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,207 Likes on 1,509 Posts
Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
Have you seen Dolph Lundgren's Punisher?
The 80's Captain America film and Corman's Fantastic Four "film" were pretty stinky too. THE HULK wasn't that great of a film, but at least it was better than all these.
Old 10-13-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Abob Teff

3.) I think that this is the biggest basis for most of the criticism: The Hulk does not appear until almost 45 MINUTES into the movie! Fine for telling a story, but not fine when you market an action pick featuring a child's hero.

I would line up for the sequel . . . well, I'll see it anyway.
Superman doesn't make an appearance in STM until about an hour and 6 minutes in I think. I don't think that hurt the movie did you?
Old 10-13-04, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kal-El
Superman doesn't make an appearance in STM until about an hour and 6 minutes in I think. I don't think that hurt the movie did you?

True, but sadly, those were different times. I have a feeling that if they took the approach today with Supes that they did when it was released, it would not go over as well. I would like to think I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
Old 10-13-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
True, but sadly, those were different times. I have a feeling that if they took the approach today with Supes that they did when it was released, it would not go over as well. I would like to think I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
Like i said a few posts up, it takes some time for Spider-Man to show up like we know it as well.
Old 10-13-04, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally posted by John Spartan
The film's producer (I forget her name, but it's the woman behind many huge action flicks) said something to the effect of "thank god for the DVD sales" and implied it was the DVD that will make the sequel possible.

That $3 Hulk DVD offer from Jell-O went a long way!

Andrew
Old 10-13-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by fumanstan
Like i said a few posts up, it takes some time for Spider-Man to show up like we know it as well.
True. I still think that had they let the action go more or less non-stop from the first Hulk appearance and not botched the ending the way they did (I liked the movie, but the final act makes it impossible for me to defend), they would have had a hit. Spider-Man took a while to unveil its hero, but once it did, the movie was pretty fast paced for the remainder.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.