Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Films that have no plot or purpose at all.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Films that have no plot or purpose at all.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-04, 09:18 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm not sure why movies with "no plot" are bad, but movies that rehash the same stupid plots we've all seen a million times are good.

BTW, some great responses in here defending the "no plot" movies.
Old 10-13-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Suprmallet
Do you think she actually commits suicide? I never got that from the comic, script, or movie. Unless you're saying that leaving the town is a symbol for suicide, but I don't see it that way.
I don't think she commits suicide either, but I can see how someone who wasn't familiar with the comic could take it that way. I think the bus ride at the end is Enid dropping out of everything. Maybe she leaves town, maybe she goes to the isle of misfit people, but I don't think she commits suicide. Just because the guy waiting for the bus was old, we assume he's waiting to die. Maybe what Enid and the old man both actually share is their inability to find their place in society now. Both are lost and directionless.
Old 10-13-04, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Rivero
The point was seeing two people connect on a level in four days that many others don't in whole lifetimes. The movie worked beautifully in this regard. The fact that it doesn't have a standard 3-act structure is to the film's benefit in keeping with the authenticity of its characters. Life doesn't always follow a linear progression of events and movie-style epiphanies.

I get what you're saying, but, I didn't feel the connection between the characters. The execution left me numb, therefore, the movie became a series of pointless, plotless scenes.

I'm not above movies that require a few more brain cells, movies that are quiet and character driven..this one didn't do it for me.

Last edited by iggystar; 10-13-04 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-13-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Waking Life- that movie is all philosophy

The Big Lebowski

While not yet a movie, Aeon Flux:the series had no plot whatsoever.
Old 10-13-04, 10:28 AM

The Big Lebowski actually had a very standard "private eye" plot. It would be very easy to rework the story as a serious 1940's-style noir thriller.
Old 10-13-04, 10:40 AM
Banned

Old 10-13-04, 10:44 AM

As much as I'd love to rail against those dismissing a movie because it "didn't go anywhere" I can't (to a point). Generally, movies that don't focus on a narrative progression from point A to point B to point C appeal more to an audience's emotional responses. And as such, these works can be more alienating or more effective. I can't argue against a person's feelings. The most I can do is try and construct what the picture meant to me and how its construction lead me to that feeling.

However, I find a lot of "plotless" pics to be a finer distillation of the essences of cinema. When one gets too wrapped up in plot points and plot holes the criticism is veering more towards the literary realm than cinematic. It's not just a story on that screen. It's a visual medium, it's an aural medium, it's a temporal medium, and it's a fractured medium. The narrative is just one aspect carried over from other art forms (theater, writing).

Let the cinema be the cinema.
Old 10-13-04, 12:22 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by BradJ
Wouldn't it be as easy to say that defending a plotless, pointless movie only because it's "artsy" is equally narrow-minded? Despite what some people think, if a movie is artsy and not cliche', it doesn't automatically make it a great cinematic experience. Some movies are truly pointless. We can agree to disagree, but I'm neither narrow-minded nor lazy-thinking.
i'm not defending Lost in Translation. I don't think it was that great of a film. but failing to acknowledge that the filmmaker was communicating a "point" about people feeling incomplete in their lives, or that the plot structure followed emotional developments would be my own fault, not ms. coppola's. now, if i expressed concern that the moral conflict was a bit too superficial and some of the supporting characters were more like caricatures, that would be a criticism that required some thought, instead of an altogether dismissal of the "plot" and "point".
Originally posted by BradJ
If I want to see two isolated and lonely characters that fall in love with each other despite moral conflict, I don't need a movie, I can just go to work and watch some of the people here.
well, maybe that's the "point" of lost in translation, as well. the film is about truly "seeing" people. and perhaps it has opened our eyes, as other films have done, to the loneliness in the people around us.

Last edited by cygnet74; 10-13-04 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-13-04, 12:43 PM

Spoiler:
It's about a contrived plastic world that the increasingly alienated Enid(Thora Birch) withdraws from until by the end she decides to leave town/commit suicide.
Please use a spoiler tag next time. I haven't seen this movie yet.
Old 10-13-04, 12:57 PM

Okay. Kiarostami's documentary DID have a plot.
You mean ABC Africa? Compared to FIVE, its plot is akin to LAwrence of Arabia.
Old 10-13-04, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by evitagen
Believe it or not, that wasn't much of a spoiler.
Old 10-13-04, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by ClownFace666
Grim,

For case like that we will use the scale of 0.01 to 100.

I would say FIVE ranks at a 0.012 out of 100.
Kiarostami's FIVE.

Five still seaside shots of 1) a log 2) a pier 3) dogs at sea 4) ducks and 5) rain at night.

It would more likely quality as a 0.0000000000000000000000000000000001 out of 100. In other words, it has no plot.

BTW, it's the best film I've seen all year.
Old 10-13-04, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Grimfarrow
Kiarostami's FIVE. . .

BTW, it's the best film I've seen all year.
Damn your eyes!

The Film Center in Chicago couldn't afford it for their Iranian program this month. And it's not playing in the International Film Festival.
Old 10-13-04, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
Believe it or not, that wasn't much of a spoiler.
Oh. Well, that is comforting.
Old 10-13-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by evitagen
We generally only do spoilers on films that are new, otherwise any discussion of a film would be impossible since everyone would be using spoiler tags.

The movie is 4 years old, you've had time to see it.