Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I think putting Hayden in as the Anakin ghost is horrible... thread!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I think putting Hayden in as the Anakin ghost is horrible... thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-04, 12:52 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally posted by BizRodian
How about we now change the subject to what the "No... there is another..." line means. Now, I have always considered it to be Vader. Others say it HAS to be Leia, because of the line "The other Yoda spoke of was your sister" line. But that just refered to the "there is another Skywalker" and not the "No... there is another" line.
there is no way Yoda was referring to Anakin...Yoda most likely knew Anakin/Darth was coming to the end and that Luke would finish him, so there is no way in hell that Yoda referring to another who could bring a resurgence in the Jedi order was referring in anyway to Anakin. It is and always has been Leia and I think it is abdundantly obvious especially after the end of Vader. I think you twisted the lines up to mean what you wanted it to mean, but it simply doesn't...it is not an ambiguous opinion type statement.

How come this hasn't been moved to SW forum?
Old 09-25-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yoda was refering to Leia. Simple as that. Vader used this info to try to turn him in the death stat "if you wont turn, perhaps she will"

Now I still wonder why if the original poster could stop complaining and enjoy one of the greatest DVD sets in history.
Old 09-25-04, 03:38 PM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Yoda was refering to Leia. Simple as that. Vader used this info to try to turn him in the death stat "if you wont turn, perhaps she will"
I've got to agree with Jack on that line.

As for the 'Return of the Jedi', I always thought it was the return of the Jedi Order, since Luke had completed his training.
Old 09-25-04, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i really dont care who shot 1st i just think it looks really stupid how han dodges the shot.
Old 09-25-04, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by CrashNBurn69
i really dont care who shot 1st i just think it looks really stupid how han dodges the shot.
Han doesn't dodge anything because the event never happened in the filming. Since the shooting first effect was added way after the fact, Han/Harrison Ford is simply there across from Greedo just sitting casually ready for himself to fire and that is it.

Can't somebody move this...it seems so out of place and lonely! Walking Home Crying
Old 09-25-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Then it matches the thread starter. ZING!!!
Old 09-25-04, 11:22 PM

Vader wanted luke to defeat him and then the emperor. Luke said he felt the good in him, the conflict. Vader was always hesitant when going to the emperor with news about luke. Vader used leia in that line because it would anger luke enough to defeat him. that what i believe anyway. vader was on the verge of going good and wanted luke to win.
Old 09-27-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was talking about this with someone this weekend. What this guy said was a pretty good take regarding not just this change, but all the changes up to this point;

He said basically the excuse has been (at least the most recent excuse, "fixing" the films not withstanding) has been for "continuity". In other words, to link the current films to the original. Problem is that we already KNOW the whole story. We know the beging and we know the end. So most of the changes are extraneous. That bit of dialogue in Empire when the Emporer contacts Vader that was changed and he refers to the rebel that destroyed the Death Star. It's not like I'm saying "Gee, that part was a little fuzzy thanks for refreshing my memory for me". We know the old man is Luke's father. We don't need Hayden Christiansen to appear to remind us that "hey this guy is Anakin Skywalker".

As far as the original cuts of the film. I'm thinking that somewhere along the line we are going to see an ultra-mega-super-deluxe boxed set for something like $150 with all the films included (like the one that was talked about a few years ago). Problem is that those will most likely contain a further altered version of Eps. 4 through 6.
Old 09-27-04, 03:38 AM

Just a quick comment (which might have already been addressed):

When Luke sees Anakin's ghost, how would he recognize him? He's only ever seen Vader and Sebastian...
Old 09-27-04, 03:54 AM

Originally posted by Eplicon
But that's beside the point. Hayden's short performance in spirit form does not match what Sebastian Shaw did. In the original ending, I had the impression that Anakin was now at peace, having been reborn to the Force and was proud to have a son who not only saved him, but would now carry on the Jedi tradition that he once held so proudly himself. Hayden, on the other hand, still appears as a immature punk, still looks full of himself, and gloats as if he did everything himself.
BRAVO!! I couldn't agree more. Sebastian Shaw brought dignity to the moment. The kid just smirked as you said.

Furthermore, why should Anikan be allowed to look young and sexy in the afterlife if Ben and Yoda couldn't do it?
Old 09-27-04, 04:08 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Edith_in_LA
Furthermore, why should Anikan be allowed to look young and sexy in the afterlife if Ben and Yoda couldn't do it?
Not even Lucas knows for sure. However lamely it'll be explained in Episode 3 it's something Lucas has just made in the past few years.
Old 09-27-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I sort of wish that nobody had gone out and purchased any of these box sets at all, basically to tell Lucas that we don't care for the stupid change. After all, he made it very clear in his interview that he doesn't give a rat's ass what any of us think; they're his movies and he can do with them whatever he wants. IMO, if nothing else, this makes it weird for anyone who might be seeing these movies for the first time. If it were me, I would want to see them as they were originally made. Lucas doesn't care; he says to go buy them on VHS if you want to see the originals. I can half-way accept the other changes in the movie...barely. But to change the end of Jedi like that was just plain dumb. I don't care what kind of explanation he's going to give in Episode III; the ghost of Anakin should have been a recognizable character, whether it be by Luke or just the viewer. I do recognize that Lucas has done this so we can eventually watch all six movies I through VI, and I can agree that if done that way it should be apparent at the end of Jedi who the ghost is. But if Lucas wanted to do it like that, he should have just made episodes I through III back in the 70's-80's and gone from there. But it was his decision to film them the way he did, and he should live with it. Adding effects is one thing, but you can't take a brand-new actor and stick him in a classic movie and honestly expect people to accept it. Lucas just needs to accept that he threw a turd in the cake batter, and no amount of frosting is going to disguise that taste.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 09-27-04 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-27-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Originally posted by Edith_in_LA

Ummmm, do you really WANT to see a sexy Yoda?
Old 09-27-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by The_Infidel
I sort of wish that nobody had gone out and purchased any of these box sets at all, basically to tell Lucas that we don't care for the stupid change.
Some people are doing just that. But most people couldn't care less about the changes.

Anyway, i have no problems with the changed ending with Hayden. Him appearing when he was still a Jedi makes enough sense to me.
Old 09-27-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ViewAskewbian
Ummmm, do you really WANT to see a sexy Yoda?
Old 09-27-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
I don't think the change is horrible as a concept but it's terrible in excecution. Like Eplicon said, Hayden lacks the dignity of Shaw in that scene. And, is it me or does it look Hayden was added from video taken during a costume test? First he's smirking and looking like he's just goofing off then it looks like someone yells at him to cut it out and look at the camera. It just looks like it was tacked on at the last minute.

Perhaps they should get Hayden back (a few years from now when he's hopefully matured as an actor) to reshoot the scene for the eventual HD-DVD boxset unless Lucas decides to change it back (like he did when he wisely chose to remove from the DVD version the horrible scream Luke made in the SE of The Empire Strikes Back) and keep Shaw.

Last edited by RocShemp; 09-27-04 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-27-04, 12:20 PM
Banned

I just can't fathom why anyone would want to add Hayden to anything. He makes any one of the actors from Saved by the Bell look downright academy worthy. It was apparent that they spared no expense for the films and the franchise (maybe better screen writers could have been bought, but...), yet we have our lead, Hayden, who may be the absolute worst actor and screen presence ever. Who lost what bet? To one up the new, old episodes, they cut and paste him into movies considered classics.... wtf.
Old 09-27-04, 12:52 PM
Retired

After watching the whole trilogy, I really don't have a problem with it. Ties the trilogies together nicely IMO.
Old 09-27-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Contactsport1
I just can't fathom why anyone would want to add Hayden to anything. He makes any one of the actors from Saved by the Bell look downright academy worthy. It was apparent that they spared no expense for the films and the franchise (maybe better screen writers could have been bought, but...), yet we have our lead, Hayden, who may be the absolute worst actor and screen presence ever. Who lost what bet? To one up the new, old episodes, they cut and paste him into movies considered classics.... wtf.
, but true!
Old 09-27-04, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by Contactsport1
i guess you haven't seen "Shattered Glass"?
Old 09-27-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Life as a house was a pretty good film where he actually acted pretty good.
Old 09-27-04, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is the only change I don't agree with and don't think it makes sense.
Old 09-27-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by berserker37
Just a quick comment (which might have already been addressed):

When Luke sees Anakin's ghost, how would he recognize him? He's only ever seen Vader and Sebastian...
That's a good question. I guess in reality he should be like "who the fuck is the pretty boy?"

But hey...nowhere in the trilogy do they say DVDs don't exist. It's very possible Luke has seen the prequels. I hear he doesn't like Jar Jar either.
Old 09-27-04, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
I figure the easy answer to that is that Luke's feelings "told him" that the smirking kid is his dad. You know, kinda like how he figured Leia was his sister.

It's true Hayden was very good in Life As A House which only serves to make his performance as Anakin more annoying and perplexing.

Anyhoo, whatever our feelings (pro or con) regarding this change, I thought the following was a hoot:

Old 09-27-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Still not funny.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.