Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

George Lucas interview on Star Wars

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

George Lucas interview on Star Wars

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it true that the SEs will have the original theatrical version as easter eggs?
Old 09-20-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Class316
[url]
The thing is he talks about how he wasn't able to do it "as he wanted" yet I don't see why he couldn't have had Greedo shoot first in 1977 if he really wanted to.
That has come up earlier, but like some of the changes Speilburg made in ET I think it was something that bothered him later and is not part of the "original vision" at least in '77. I don't believe his vision of the film in '77 is exactly the same as it ended up being when the '97 edition was done. Most probably was, but his vision of the film is going to get changed slighty from 1977 by things he did in the other films later on. The new version has evolved even further than the '97 version by his experience with the new trilogy.
Old 09-20-04, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Duder
I own both the Universal DVD and the Criterion DVD, and the cuts are considerably different.
Unless you've got some special disc that never made it to public market, I would double-check that before betting any money on it, if I were you. As the review at The Digital Bits describes:

"I'd like to also give a brief review for the Universal DVD edition of Brazil, because it has some importance in all this. You see, the Universal edition is the Criterion edition -- just at a lesser quality. I have no idea how or why, but the time listed on the back spec chart lists the Universal edition at the original American length of 2 hours 11 minutes. But it is, in fact, the full director's cut of 2 hours and 23 minutes."

Similar descriptions are to be found in other reviews.

DJ
Old 09-20-04, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Look at the poll: http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movi...ges/index.html
Old 09-20-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and look at lucas' response to what the fans want at the beginning of the thread. He doesn't care what they want.
Old 09-20-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lucas: To me, the special edition ones are the films I wanted to make. Anybody that makes films knows the film is never finished. It's abandoned or it's ripped out of your hands, and it's thrown into the marketplace, never finished. It's a very rare experience where you find a filmmaker who says, "That's exactly what I wanted. I got everything I needed. I made it just perfect. I'm going to put it out there." And even most artists, most painters, even composers would want to come back and redo their work now. They've got a new perspective on it, they've got more resources, they have better technology, and they can fix or finish the things that were never done. ... I wanted to actually finish the film the way it was meant to be when I was originally doing it. At the beginning, people went, "Don't you like it?" I said, "Well, the film only came out to be 25 or 30 percent of what I wanted it to be." They said, "What are you talking about?" So finally, I stopped saying that, but if you read any interviews for about an eight- or nine-year period there, it was all about how disappointed I was and how unhappy I was and what a dismal experience it was. You know, it's too bad you need to get kind of half a job done and never get to finish it. So this was my chance to finish it.
Perfection can never be achieved in art by humans. Humans will never be "perfect" until the end of time if that ever comes. It was too bad he couldn't finish it the way he wanted to, but apparently adding some new effects (CGI) which turned out much worse when next to the old costumes and sets. The man fails to see at all that you have your time to complete your work before presenting it to the masses on such a wide scale, then 30 years later you decide to change it around because you feel you can make it a tad more perfect. That's not how we are, to be perfect, is to be like God, and that is not a good thing. The Star Wars trilogy remains the greatest trilogy ever, yes even better than the Godfather trilogy or any other that comes to mind so to us it is perfection. What if the Greek mythologies were changed around to be more "perfect" what then?
Old 09-20-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The first thing my art teacher taught me was never to erase. Live with your mistakes and make them part of the artwork. Screw my art teacher, I'm putting that shit into photoshop and fixing it.

Thanks George Lucas for showing me the right way to do things.

Seriously though I think the flaws in a movie can be part of the charm. Improved CGI didn't make it a better movie to me. However, George disagrees and he owns the negatives so those of us that want both versions on DVD are screwed.

Last edited by darkside; 09-20-04 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-21-04, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
Originally posted by PatrickMcCart
Leonardo DaVinci revised the Mona Lisa time after time over the course of a few decades. Now, who's going to say that Leo should have left well enough alone?

I will, I preffered the original painting that I and my good friend Saint Germaine fell in love with. It had more cleavage, kangaroos and a trampoline act.
Old 09-21-04, 02:49 AM

Originally posted by djtoell
Unless you've got some special disc that never made it to public market, I would double-check that before betting any money on it, if I were you.
Okay, I did double-check, and you're right. That's very weird. My memory of watching the movie on VHS over and over must have blended with my Universal DVD, cause I could've sworn that it was the theatrical cut on that disc, and I first saw the additional scenes on the Criterion. I guess I'm getting old. :P
Old 09-21-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mark Hamill answers questions about 'Star Wars' DVD

Well, it's hard for me because I am a purist. I say I want to see not the colorized version of "King Kong," I want to see the black-and-white one as it was released in the theaters.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movi...ill/index.html
Old 09-21-04, 02:47 PM

I've thought about this for a while and I've decided that if I ever have kids, I will show them the Star Wars movies in order, starting with Episode I. It's true that ESB's revelation won't have as much impact on them if they start with the prequels, but I believe it will make the entire saga far more interesting to watch if you do not know that Anakin becomes evil. Think about it for a minute. In Episode I you see Anakin as a young, innocent boy who's a slave, and has potential to be the greatest Jedi ever. Kids will really look up to him. Then in Episode II you'll see how cocky and overconfident he has become, though he's still mostly good but lets his emotions get the better of him. You'll become shocked and saddened by the death of his mother and sympathize with Anakin and understand his thirst for revenge. Then in Episode III you see his final turn to the dark side, become shocked at its darkness and think about what led to his downfall. And most likely, you will hate him for what he does (and yes, you do see him become Vader in Ep 3).

Following that you will watch Episode IV, and the title "A New Hope" with have that much more significance after the depressing and pessimistic Episode III. You'll see Luke's life parallel his father's in many ways and see how his choices affected his character and how different and similar he is to Anakin. And then of course, in Episode VI when Luke is about to die and Vader turns good for that final moment, the emotional impact will be far greater than if you started watching with Episode IV. That's basically how I feel about all of this.
Old 09-21-04, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by PatrickMcCart
Leonardo DaVinci revised the Mona Lisa time after time over the course of a few decades. Now, who's going to say that Leo should have left well enough alone?

Is that true?
Old 09-21-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No he's just screwing around
Old 09-21-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
but apparently adding some new effects (CGI) which turned out much worse when next to the old costumes and sets.
That's not how I see it.
Old 09-21-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
Originally posted by Prancetron2000
Is that true?
Yes. I have read that when DaVinci would periodicly return to Florence he would continue to work on the portrait.
Old 09-21-04, 03:49 PM

Do you know of any articles that could prove that?
Old 09-21-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
Yes. I have read that when DaVinci would periodicly return to Florence he would continue to work on the portrait.
Yeah, but early on he had only watercolors, but later in life technology brought him oil pants.
Old 09-21-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think they had oil pants back then, but Da Vinci did use oil paints.
Old 09-21-04, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by duff beer
I don't think they had oil pants back then, but Da Vinci did use oil paints.
Not to mention...Mona Lisa didn't shoot first in the orignal painting.
Old 09-21-04, 10:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by darkside
The first thing my art teacher taught me was never to erase. Live with your mistakes and make them part of the artwork. Screw my art teacher, I'm putting that shit into photoshop and fixing it.
Thanks for the sig.
Old 09-21-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's nice that in our modernized world we can do everything with computers in this "computer age" But throughout the ages folks did have to live with their mistakes.
Old 09-21-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by duff beer
That's nice that in our modernized world we can do everything with computers in this "computer age" But throughout the ages folks did have to live with their mistakes.
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should." - Dr. Ian Malcolm, JURASSIC PARK
Old 09-23-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another Lucas interview :

http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/starwars/lucas.html
Old 09-23-04, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did they ever air the George Lucas interview with Charlie Rose?