Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jim Caviezel as Superman?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jim Caviezel as Superman?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-04, 07:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone ever seen Angel Eyes? This Caviezel guy is a bore.
Old 09-01-04, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I heard he was in some movie about Jesus too...
Old 09-01-04, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like Caviezel as an actor, but he would be a dreadful choice as Superman. He would be the goofiest looking Superman I've ever seen, and yes, I've already seen some photoshop jobs of him as Superman, and I chuckled when I saw them. He just doesn't look, sound, or feel the part at all, despite being a good actor. For this role, looks go a very long way.

People wonder if Welling could do the role. I don't have any doubt he could, given a good script with the right dialogue, and a director that can get the performance out of him. After all, when Reeves was chosen to play Supes, he was a skinny, blonde haired soap opera actor, and a mediocre one at best. In fact, many sort of laughed at the choice. Well, he made a perfect Superman.

So Welling can do the role. He's actually a pretty decent actor. He just isn't given much to work with on Smallville, having to play it close to the vest.
Old 09-01-04, 08:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DeGalon
See these:

Old 09-01-04, 11:10 AM
Banned

Rivero, like I said before...boring
Old 09-01-04, 04:00 PM

More grist for the rumor mill

http://chicago.craigslist.org/tfr/40890369.html

Legit or not?
Old 09-01-04, 04:28 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by Terrell
I like Caviezel as an actor, but he would be a dreadful choice as Superman. He would be the goofiest looking Superman I've ever seen, and yes, I've already seen some photoshop jobs of him as Superman, and I chuckled when I saw them. He just doesn't look, sound, or feel the part at all, despite being a good actor. For this role, looks go a very long way.

...After all, when Reeves was chosen to play Supes, he was a skinny, blonde haired soap opera actor, and a mediocre one at best. In fact, many sort of laughed at the choice. Well, he made a perfect Superman.

I don't get your reasoning for Caviezel being a "dreadful" choice. You say he looks goofy and then you say Reeves was "a skinny, blonde haired soap opera actor..." You chuckled when you saw Caviezel Superman photochops and then say "many sorta laughed" at the choice of Reeves. Yet, Caviezel's choice is deemed "dreadful" whereas Reeves was "perfect."
Old 09-02-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Okay people...let's go over this one last time:

This is REEVES:

This is REEVE:

Any Questions?!

Sorry...this is just one of those things that drive me crazy. Like people who say "Revelations" instead of "Revelation" when talking about the last book of the New Testament.
Old 09-02-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Jon2
Jesus.

Because Superman has a weakness to two things; kryptonite and magic.

The last I heard, Jesus has none and pretty much represents the most powerful magic around.

I hear a good cross brings him down pretty easy. Maybe Jesus IS a vampire?
Old 09-02-04, 12:06 PM

I wonder if we will be able to hear the wind whistle through the holes in his hands and feet, when he is flying.
Old 09-02-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by HN

I don't get your reasoning for Caviezel being a "dreadful" choice. You say he looks goofy and then you say Reeves was "a skinny, blonde haired soap opera actor..." You chuckled when you saw Caviezel Superman photochops and then say "many sorta laughed" at the choice of Reeves. Yet, Caviezel's choice is deemed "dreadful" whereas Reeves was "perfect."
You're not reading it right. It's two separate statements.

1. HE thinks JC's a dreadful choice.

2. HE believes Welling could do the role, despite what some people claim him to be nothing more than a teen soap actor. He then compared Welling to REEVE (Happy Shannon? ) who, when he was cast MANY sorta laughed at. He wasn't one of those who laughed.
Old 09-02-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Caviezel has already played one fantasy superhero. And this time around his character could be given some depth.
Old 09-02-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by movielib
Caviezel has already played one fantasy superhero.
Okay - off topic, but this drives me crazy too. Jesus was not a fictional character. He was an actual person. Only his divinity is up for debate, you can't debate his existence.

BTW, has anyone seen the bet Harry Knowles has for $1000 over the guy who reported Caviezel will be getting the job. God help me, but this may be the first time in my life I'm actually hoping Harry is right.
Old 09-02-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

from imdb.com:

The Passion Of The Christ star Jim Caviezel may be ready to sign a deal to star as Superman in the long-awaited new film Superman Returns. The hunky actor - who movingly portrayed Jesus in Mel Gibson's controversial epic - is said to be very close to an agreement with studio Warner Bros. despite his agent's recent insistence the part had not yet been offered to him. Big name stars such as Jude Law, Josh Hartnett and Brendan Fraser have already been offered, and turned down, the role. However, according to respected comic book author Mark Miller, Caviezel's participation is all but guaranteed. He writes, "You remember I told you to relax about Superman? That a very, very trusted and experienced director we'd all love was coming over? That everything would be fine? Well, my same good buddy has informed me that Jim Caviezel is officially the new man of steel and what a perfect choice he is. Expect an announcement shortly."
Old 09-02-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
I'm surprised that everyone has picked up on Mark Millar's story.

If you recall, he's the guy that pulled that Orson Welles "Batman" hoax last year.
Old 09-02-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Okay - off topic, but this drives me crazy too. Jesus was not a fictional character. He was an actual person. Only his divinity is up for debate, you can't debate his existence.
My post was meant only as a gentle, humerous nudge but yes I can. Many have debated his existence. The best presentation of the case I know of is:

The Jesus Mysteries: Was the "Original Jesus" a Pagan God? by Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy

I'm not saying their case is conclusively proved but there is a case and you might want to look into it.

People stating that there is no case whatsoever and that only nutty people say so drives me crazy.

Last edited by movielib; 09-02-04 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-02-04, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by DeGalon
I thought it was just the character he was playing, a quiet, sensitive guy with a mysterious past. It's called acting. I assume you think his Jesus was a bore, too.

Jim does seem pretty low-key in interviews, but if you want to call it boring you can call De Niro and Harrison Ford boring too. Some actors just don't seem as comfortable hawking their movies as others.

I also liked Jim in The Count of Monte Cristo. Over the course of the film his character goes through pretty dramatic physical and mental changes. I would have never known until i listened to the director's dvd commentary that quite a few of the later scenes in the film were actually filmed before the whole prison part. I know shooting out of sequence is common in movies, but I think it shows how talented Jim is that he could switch back and forth so well, and i actually believed that he had went through 13 hellish years in prison.

Anyway I think he's definitely capable of playing Superman. Tom Welling may look more perfect for the part, but I think Jim's a much better choice than someone like Jake Gyllenhaal or Josh Hartnett.
Old 09-02-04, 11:44 PM

You're not reading it right. It's two separate statements.

1. HE thinks JC's a dreadful choice.

2. HE believes Welling could do the role, despite what some people claim him to be nothing more than a teen soap actor. He then compared Welling to REEVE (Happy Shannon? ) who, when he was cast MANY sorta laughed at. He wasn't one of those who laughed.
Correct! If people feel differently, more power to them. I like Caviezel, just not in this role. I think they need to go with a lesser known actor who has the look and feel. Team him with a great director and hire a great screenwriter to churn out good dialogue. Tom Welling is the choice for me. If anyone was ever the spitting image of Supes, he's the one. I think he' capable.

Now, I don't expect any of this too happen. Smallville is supposed to run two more seasons. I doubt they're going to wait that long for Welling. There's no guarantee Welling would even accept the job if they did, having said in the past he'd never wear the tights.
Old 09-03-04, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by movielib

People stating that there is no case whatsoever and that only nutty people say so drives me crazy.
Yeah, and you can find people who say the Holocaust didn't happen, either. I meant CREDIBLE proof. Sorry, I just have a big problem when the uniformed lump Jesus of Nazareth in with Robin Hood and King Arthur.

The book you point to - by the way - is full of poor research and historical error. Not the best example to make your point. Just look over some of its critical reviews.

I knew your movielib's post was in jest - I just worry the uniformed will read it and come to a mistaken conclusion.

Anyway...back on topic...

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 09-03-04 at 05:09 AM.
Old 09-03-04, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, and you can find people who say the Holocaust didn't happen, either. I meant CREDIBLE proof. Sorry, I just have a big problem when the uniformed lump Jesus of Nazareth in with Robin Hood and King Arthur.

The book you point to - by the way - is full of poor research and historical error. Not the best example to make your point. Just look over some of its critical reviews.

I knew your movielib's post was in jest - I just worry the uniformed will read it and come to a mistaken conclusion.

Anyway...back on topic...
All books on such controversial subjects attract reviews on both sides.

I just wish the uninformed would read both sides and come to their own conclusions but on this topic there's almost no inkling that there even is another side.

Yes, now back on topic.
Old 09-03-04, 11:52 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
There is no historical proof of a Jesus of Nazareth, son of Joseph and Mary. There are tons of men named Jesus as it is a common name but no writings contemporary to his supposed life which document him. All writings come from hearsay and occur well after his supposed death. See http://www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm for a well written essay debunking an historical Jesus.

To compare this with Holocaust revisionism is just a weak and inflammatory argument as there are many eyewitnesses to the Holocaust that still live today.
Old 09-03-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Only a Superman movie thread can turn into a debate about the existance of Jesus
Old 09-03-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I'm still hoping for Welling.
Old 09-03-04, 08:15 PM

Many non Christian religions believe Jesus was a real person just not the son of God. Some say he was a profet, others say he was an influental and charasmatic fellow.

Personally, I believe in my faith so I believe in Jesus.

What I do not believe is that Jim C. has the look of Superman. Maybe with some makeup and bulk up? I honestly prefer him over Welling. Neither one can fill Christopher Reeve's boots (or cape). I heard the Jim Caviezel rumor weeks ago (before Synger was signed on). I am surprised it didn't post here or on Movies.Com till recently. Maybe the studio was not convinced (much like I am not) of their choices. Then they did their search which turned out empty.
Old 09-04-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Jim Caviezel would make a great superman. Alittle bit off topic, but did you notice that Jim Caviezel as the same initials as Jesus Christ?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.