Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Empire Strikes Back: Original Emperor or New Emperor (video inside)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which Emperor is better?
Original Emperor
69.51%
New DVD Emperor
30.49%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Empire Strikes Back: Original Emperor or New Emperor (video inside)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Empire Strikes Back: Original Emperor or New Emperor (video inside)

Originally posted by Lara Means
Video for the entire new Emperor scene done for the Empire DVD has been released.

http://s90708385.onlinehome.us/TheHemperer.mpg
The link is down. Does anyone have a mirror?
Old 08-29-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The original Emperor was sure as hell more intimidating this Ian's crappy take on it. And can you end all that female playing Emperor bullshit? 'Breakfast with Girls' already debunked that complete crap with behind the scenes photos.
Um, as usual you are wrong. You should know what you're talking about before you comment on something as fact. It is an older woman in that mask, and they superimposed moneky eyes over her's. This is a well known fact. Do some research. So much for that!

As for the pictures, you proved my point for me. It's f**king awful and ridiculous looking, and it always was. Not once was that silly looking emperor every creepy looking. But, think what you like.

It was meant to be lighthearted
Sodomy and lighthearted, interesting!

it was another way of saying "luca$ raped my childhood"
I won't say what I think about all of this "raping my childhood" garbage.

you can choose not to enter into threads where such things are discussed.
Or, people who've already made their point a few dozen times, don't have to keep making the same exact point over and over in every single thread. Or, how's this for novelty. If you hate the prequels and or the SEs, why bother posting in a thread about them to begin with. Most ordinary people don't waste so much time discussing something they don't like. They make their point and move on.

Trigger, I'll give you an example of what I mean by making your opinion in an adult manner. Take FoK's post as a perfect example.

"I prefer to the original scene. I agree with the others, stating the obvious takes something away from the movie"

I have no problem with his post or his opinion. I had no problem with your opinion either. I did have a problem with the way you phrased it.

Terrell, continue to churn out the same replies to these arguments?
Someone needs to balance out the likes of Lara Means and Rivero, who basically take a dump in almost every Star Wars threads.

I've given up on "Star Wars" and moved on.
If you had given up and moved on, you wouldn't have even bothered posting.

Last edited by Terrell; 08-29-04 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-29-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
BWG, I deleted the video, but I don't think it was that big, maybe about 6 mb, perhaps someone can email it to you.
Old 08-30-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Off Topic a bit, but still about Star Wars.

Here is a clip that has shows all the newly redubbed Boba Fett lines that is now on the Empire DVD. If you didnt know, Temuera Morrison (Jango Fett from Episode 2), has redone all of Boba's lines because Lucas is "bridging the two trilogies."

Gone now is the cool and mysterious voice of Boba. All thats left is a shitty kiwi accent. Why the hell did he have to talk so fast? I can't believe they ruined something as simple and badass as "As you wish"

http://s95053774.onlinehome.us/BobaPsychotic.mpg

Also, here is the link for the entire new ending for JEDI. See the Naboo celebration and the Hayden/Anakin addition at the end. If you don't get picture then I guess you need the Xvid codec.

http://aptirrelevance.com/gupta/rotj-ending.avi

Last edited by Lara Means; 08-30-04 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-30-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Terrell, more people think it's creepy than you.
Old 08-30-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I wish the original RotJ song was back with the ewoks going "yuppa yuppa yaieee... YUB YUB" or whatever. The new one is lame. But whatever - it's only the ending scene of the trilogy. It's not like it's a big deal or anything.

The new Fett voice sucks nuts.

thanks for posting those links though.
Old 08-30-04, 01:23 AM

Terrell, more people think it's creepy than you.
Your point? I don't give a damn whether more people thought the original was creepier. That doesn't make them right in my eyes. I thought it looked like ass, and wasn't creepy at all, and to me, my opinion counts the most.

I liked Revill's voice, but the look and mask was just stupid.

The new one is lame.
I'll disagree here as well. The Yub-Yub song was just ridiculous. Someone else said it basically took a dump on the entire saga, and they were right. Just an awful song. The new song and ending is vastly superior, in my opinion.

I don't like the Hayden change, didn't like the scream added to Luke's fall, didn't like Greedo shooting first, didn't like Jedi rocks, didn't like the original Emperor, and didn't like the change of Vader's dialogue in ESB, even though the original line "bring my shuttle" made no sense in the context of the film.

Luckily, the Han/Greedo scene is a big improvement over the '97 SE. I still prefer the original scene. Also, the emperor is much better look and is far more consistent than the original. Lucas should have left the dialogue the same though. Also, thank God Lucas removed the scream from Luke's fall. That was the absolute worst change in the SEs. Also, thank God they changed the song at the end of ROTJ and made the ending more fitting and much better.

Last edited by Terrell; 08-30-04 at 01:27 AM.
Old 08-30-04, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the han/greedo scene is a lateral from the 97 SE... I don't see what was wrong with it in the first place. To be honest though, it's so fast one would hardly notice anyway - which is why it was a stupid change to make in the first place and an even dumber change now - all that time wasted moving Han a few inches (which looks pretty bad when held up to close observation) when you could've just reverted the scene back to the way it was since that's what fans wanted. As for the song, I can't help it that I liked the Yub Yub song... I was 9 when I first heard it.
Old 08-30-04, 02:03 AM

I think the han/greedo scene is a lateral from the 97 SE
Well, if you look at the '97 SE where Greedo shoots first, the new scene is a definite improvement. Not only did they fix the moments at which they fire, they also fixed Han's head from looking like it was conneced to a rubber band. He should have restored the original, but since he wasn't going to do that, I'll gladly accept the improvement.

The Yub-Yub song has some nostalic value, but I like the new one a whole lot better. Either way, Lucas is never going to be able to please every single person, even if he release the originals. You just know someone is still going to find something to complain about. The old saying, you can't please every 100% of the time.
Old 08-30-04, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Boba Fett

It's fucking horrid.
Old 08-30-04, 02:25 AM

All thats left is a shitty kiwi accent.
Actually it's a Maori accent, either way if the New Emperor and this voice replacement really go on the DVD Trilogy I am not buying it. Too bad for me because I was really looking forward to it... Damn Lucas.
Old 08-30-04, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Apone
either way if the New Emperor and this voice replacement really go on the DVD Trilogy I am not buying it. Too bad for me because I was really looking forward to it... Damn Lucas.
What the hell do you think this thread is for? Laughs? Of course these goddamn changes are on the DVD.
Old 08-30-04, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Terrell
Either way, Lucas is never going to be able to please every single person, even if he release the originals. You just know someone is still going to find something to complain about. The old saying, you can't please every 100% of the time.
Wrong - had he simply never done the SEs in 97 and just maybe cleaned up and restored the prints instead, leaving them in-tact... then releasing them on DVD several years ago, he would've pleased everyone. Hell - If he simply released the originals now alongside these new changed ones, he could please everyone. People could have a choice on what to watch. Who the hell would complain about that? And what would be their complaint? At the very extreme, you may have someone who likes every change except the greedo thing - they could go ahead and make a fan version and splice that scene into the new version and then play it on his computer all day long with a big satisfied grin while wearing his Chewbacca t-shirt.

Let's say your favorite soda is Mountain Dew - if they all of a sudden one day decided to make Mtn Dew Code Broccoli, but instead of just offering it as an option they took away the original Mtn. Dew you were familiar with - wouldn't you be pissed? Otherwise, you wouldn't really care if they made Mtn. Dew Piss Black, as long as you could still get the soda that you loved.
Old 08-30-04, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What the hell do you think this thread is for? Laughs? Of course these goddamn changes are on the DVD.
ouch... guess Lara Means Business.
Old 08-30-04, 04:53 AM

Well I guess this is the end for my SW anticipation. To rest of you guys I admire your willing courage and strength to challenge these changes in purchase. Salute!

*edit* Bah maybe I am acting bit too rigidly must think more about this with a bottle of whiskey.

Last edited by Apone; 08-30-04 at 05:26 AM.
Old 08-30-04, 07:23 AM

Well, if you look at the '97 SE where Greedo shoots first, the new scene is a definite improvement. Not only did they fix the moments at which they fire, they also fixed Han's head from looking like it was conneced to a rubber band. He should have restored the original, but since he wasn't going to do that, I'll gladly accept the improvement.

The Yub-Yub song has some nostalic value, but I like the new one a whole lot better. Either way, Lucas is never going to be able to please every single person, even if he release the originals. You just know someone is still going to find something to complain about. The old saying, you can't please every 100% of the time.
They fixed fucking nothing. The Han/Greedo scene still looks like shit...oh yeah these versions look crystal clear and look better than they ever have..but who gives a fuck as he has not only raped alot of us, he has also raped hollywood and the history of cinema. I am sick and tired of people saying they are HIS films and he can do with them as he pleases!! Bullshit...if he wanted to tinker with them then he sould have kept them at home. He OWES everyone at least a choice in any format...what he is doing is trying to force his revisionist history down our throats! Period! Would it have cost that much more to put the original cuts on these discs as well?

You people think this will be the final cut? Hell no...wait til 2010 or 2015 when he says..."well I wanted to do this in 2004 but we couldn't" because of technology...

He has been flying by the seat of his ass just to try and make the OT fit these lame ass prequels and ruining them in the process...he should have thought about all this stuff 15 or 20 years ago...

IMHO he has ruined any magic that these films had....so sad.
Old 08-30-04, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you had given up and moved on, you wouldn't have even bothered posting.
For real.. what a sad, sad existence.
Old 08-30-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
At the very extreme, you may have someone who likes every change except the greedo thing - they could go ahead and make a fan version and splice that scene into the new version and then play it on his computer all day long with a big satisfied grin while wearing his Chewbacca t-shirt.

I know all the Lucas Apologists insist a boycott will not make a significant dent in DVD sales on September 21st. At this point, I'm willing to concede they are probably right. (Although I refuse to buy these anymore than I would buy a DVD available only in fullscreen and support an inferior product.)

So at this point, the scenario I'm hoping for is something like this: Joe Sixpack, who doesn't know anything about the constant internet bickering that has gone on since these DVDs were announced, buys his trilogy and pops them in his player. As he sees things like a new Emperor with clumsy dialogue and Hayden Christiansen appearing as a Force ghost, he drops his bag of cheetos and says, "WHAT THE...???" He then returns to Best Buy complaining about how he picked up the wrong set by mistake and wants the original version. Wackiness ensues as an argument breaks out with the return clerk insisting this IS the original version. Soon, retailers all over the country are screaming to Fox about how they've dumped a crap product in their stores and it is taking up too much time explaining to outraged customers this is the only available version. Steven Spielberg, torn between agreeing with his cackling friend George Lucas, or listening to the masses of fans desperate to preserve film history, finally makes the right decision, picks Lucas up, and hurls him down a reactor shaft. The original DVD versions are soon released, and Spielberg offers to finish Episode III as a tribute to Lucas - like he did for Stanley Kubrick with "A.I."

Hey, a similar thing happened when "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" was first released. (Except the studio head that released this only in fullscreen didn't get thrown down a reactor shaft - as far as I know.)
Old 08-30-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some people are wacked and have way too much time on there hands.
Old 08-30-04, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cactusoly
Some people are wacked and have way too much time on there hands.
like George Lucas who, instead of taking screenwriting classes for the new movie, is wasting time fucking up the only good shit he's done.
Old 08-30-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally posted by Kal-El
Updated Jabba Scene from ANH

Updated Han/Greedo Scene

Haven't seen them myself since I don't have QT here at work.
I downloaded both files, but couldn't play them. QT (version 6.5.1) said that the "required compressor could not be found". Anyone else having problems playing these?
Old 08-30-04, 11:22 AM

I like the changes. I think they add something to the originals. Every change he makes brings these tired, old looking films more up to date with modern times.

I am 30 years old and as big a fan of the originals as anyone. I have to admit I don't have the time to sit around watching 25 year old movies anymore. So if he does some things to the videos to make them worth watching again for me, I'm thrilled. In this case, I actually will buy the trilogy BECAUSE of the changes, not in spite of. I wasn't planning on picking them up until next year or something. But now I have pre-ordered them.

Mr. Lucas, keep up the good work!!!
Old 08-30-04, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by Rivero
The new dialogue is lousy, once again Lucas must make everything so obvious. Why does Vader ask "How is that possible?" Does he not know that he, himself, is Anakin? Does he not know about the birds and the bees? What does the Emperor think Vader knows about Anakin Skywalker? It raises more questions than it makes things clear, which is what I'm thinking Lucas was hoping for.
I think the new dialogue is great. The story has always been that Vader didn't know about his children. I'm paraphrasing Obi-wan's ghost here, but he says that the emperor and vader both knew that if anakin had any offspring, they would be a threat to them. That is why the twins were hidden from vader.

What lucas has done here is give the fans a teaser for the new movie. Vader is not going to know Padme is pregnant. He will not see the twins born. Perhaps he may try to kill her and thinks he succeeds. But in any event, we now know that vader never sees his children born.

It also fixes a flaw in the original movies. You never can tell from watching at what point Vader knows that Luke is his son. You only know from the shock of when Vader tells Luke himself. But honestly, does that scene really have any shock value anymore? All of you have seen it and know it so now the movies seem to have a hole. This new dialogue fills in that hole.

I love it
Old 08-30-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Originally posted by TK-421
You mean like this?

Actually, that explains A LOT!!! See, Greedo didn't shoot first and miss, he was shooting at Jar Jar!! Lucas never should have digitally edited that out of the original version.
Old 08-30-04, 11:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by kcbrett5
I like the changes. I think they add something to the originals. Every change he makes brings these tired, old looking films more up to date with modern times.

I am 30 years old and as big a fan of the originals as anyone. I have to admit I don't have the time to sit around watching 25 year old movies anymore. So if he does some things to the videos to make them worth watching again for me, I'm thrilled. In this case, I actually will buy the trilogy BECAUSE of the changes, not in spite of. I wasn't planning on picking them up until next year or something. But now I have pre-ordered them.

Mr. Lucas, keep up the good work!!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.