Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Empire Strikes Back: Original Emperor or New Emperor (video inside)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which Emperor is better?
Original Emperor
69.51%
New DVD Emperor
30.49%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Empire Strikes Back: Original Emperor or New Emperor (video inside)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Back to topic - I posted my dislike for the Greedo & Jabba scenes in the other thread. I'm trying to be open-minded about the Emperor.

Of course, I like the original better, having known it for so long & from such a young age, but this new version is maybe not too bad. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to get from it. I think this is a sensible change done in a confused way. I would've just had Ian redo the original dialogue with the possible exception of changing "The son of Skywalker." It sounds cool - powerful, nice alliteration, but seems like a strange thing to say after all we now know.

I like rennervision's point about him not being shadowed enough. It does seem like it might wreck his reveal in Jedi a bit - much like the Jabba scene in Star Wars wrecks the later appearance of the Falcon & the intro of Jabba in Jedi. I guess this'll happen over & over again for anyone who watches the movies in episode order.

The original Emperor scene & an explanation of why it exists & needed to be changed would make a nice extra feature. (& I do like the original's voice better)
Old 08-28-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Kal-El and Trigger! Those videos looked pretty cool....well the Jabba one did.
Old 08-28-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Terrell
Yes, but then you add on the ridiculous statement that "Lucas should be in jail for all of the child sodomy". We don't need that kind of crap in the thread or on the forum. Can you not make your point without that kind of stuff?
I said "childhood sodomy" - it was another way of saying "luca$ raped my childhood" and someone else came up with "more like sodomized my childhood anus" or something. It was meant to be lighthearted and I wasn't accusing lucas of being a child molester for pete sake. Hell, we can say "fuck" now - so why is "raped my childhood" so taboo? It just means that he took something I had grown up with and altered it and deprived me of the originals so that all I have left of my childhood memory is the memory of it... which is fading. It's like if your favorite soda shop from when you were a child where you and your dad went on the weekend to go pick up some candy and they had an odd selection of magazines you liked to thumb through all of a sudden one day got demolished and turned into a starbucks or a mcdonalds chain... eh - maybe you don't understand. I'm not even that big of a Star Wars nut, but the changes are just dumb and they bother me enough for me to not want to watch the new versions. Same with in ET how they changed the guns to walkie talkies except that they provided the original version so you could watch that if you wanted.

We didn't need that either.
Meh - pranking Lucas with a flaming bag of poo on his front doorstep so he stomps out the fire only to have his shoe covered in dog poo would be hilarious - I don't really see how this could offend you. Furthermore, I don't see how this is directed towards you in any way - unless you have some horrible childhood memory of a flaming bag of poo that I don't know about. You're just trying to turn it on me rather than just apologize for the personal attacks you laid on me which were uncalled for.

Actually, I don't like the Hayden change. So I don't just automatically like any and all changes. I feel all of the other changes, are vast improvements on the '97 SE.
You're welcome to like or dislike any of the changes you want, I've never disputed your right to have your own opinion on the subject and I don't really dispute Lucas's right to change the films... my beef is that he won't release the originals.

I want the originals, but it's a done deal. He isn't going to release them. So why continue to churn out the same arguments?

As for the crybabies statement, that didn't necessarily apply to you personally, just the group of people who can't let it go and move on. Regurgitating the same old complaints achieves nothing.
"you continue to churn out the same argument"
"I wasn't calling YOU a crybaby, just people who continue to churn out the same argument."
Ok - thanks.

Look - I don't often go into these Lucas threads and I rarely enter into a lucas bash. This is relatively new territory for me - in 97, I went and saw the trilogy in the theater and some of the changes I liked and others I didn't. At this point, I would just rather have the originals in tact and so would lots of other people. Crybabies or not, if you don't like hearing about people wanting the originals - you can choose not to enter into threads where such things are discussed. No need to single me out and get on my case about it. Sorry, my complaint isn't original enough for you, but perhaps the fact that it's repeated so often by so many people should be an indication that such a thing would be in great demand regardless of your personal feelings about it.

[lucas bash]I guess the best part about him spending so much time tweaking these old films is that he doesn't have the time to make new films.[/lucas bash]
Old 08-28-04, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
What was different about the Jabba scene? Was that the Jabba puppet or CGI? I still have the old tapes from the late 80s - only saw a bit of the "new" trilogy on TV.

I don't think it'd be fair to bash Ian on this emperor change. I think it was edited poorly. I think he has been one of the strongest actors for this series. He made TPM bearable.

ESB is my favorite SW movie and that hologram scene was one of my favorite scenes. So I do feel disappointed. The ROTJ head insert bothered me too, but I guess seeing it all in widescreen will compensate for everything.
Old 08-28-04, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was Horrid.. i was the very few who supported the old Emperor picture from the new picture while the majority said the new one was major improvement. Well now you see the video, that ghastly video..
Old 08-28-04, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Ranger
I don't think it'd be fair to bash Ian on this emperor change.
Actually, after watching the clip again a few times, I've changed my mind on that point. Ack. Doesn't look like he even made an effort.
Old 08-28-04, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My biggest problem with this changed scene is how Ian plays the Emperor. Its horrible! I dont know what the hell kinda direction he got from Lucas, but whatever it was... it sucked. He also talks and acts nothing like he did in JEDI.
Yeah... this is kind of odd. It's like he tried to be like the ESB one, instead of ROTJ one (who acts that way in TPM and AOTC as well.) So now he seems like a new Emperor. He lacks the way the character normally acts, and lacks the creepiness of the original one. Kind of odd, but it's cool he looks more like the ROTJ one now, for continuity sake.
Old 08-28-04, 03:34 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Was this really such a big gripe in the Star Wars community, about the differences between the ESB emperor and the ROTJ emperor? It was never something that even occurred to me in all the years I'd been watching the films. It seems so utterly inconsequential, and now, in an attempt to fix it, Lucas has just created more problems than he has solved.
Old 08-28-04, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

...the original Emperor was never intimidating to begin with. He, or should I say she, was just the opposite.
The original Emperor was sure as hell more intimidating this Ian's crappy take on it. And can you end all that female playing Emperor bullshit? 'Breakfast with Girls' already debunked that complete crap with behind the scenes photos. It was a mask.

Originally posted by Lokimok
& why do you, Terrell, continue to churn out the same replies to these arguments? You're not likely to change anyone's mind. The arguments may be similar, but at least they're made by a variety of people. You can always be counted on to give your standard reply & no one complains about that.

Last edited by Lara Means; 08-28-04 at 04:20 AM.
Old 08-28-04, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't even know why it was changed, in fact am i the only one who thought the old Emperor hologram was extremely sinister and spooky with those dark beady eyes? It was one of those things i admired amongst many thing in the OT.

They don't make that kind of stuff anymore.

This new emperor? Joke, utter utter joke. Lucas, why are you doing this, why? WHY
*bursts into tears*
Old 08-28-04, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You're not the only one. The emperor in TESB was supremely creepy but the new one just seems like an old eccentric rich guy i.e. that old eccentric rich guy from 'The Simpsons'.

And because of that it makes Vader about as intimidating as the old eccentric rich guy's right hand man from 'The Simpsons'
Old 08-28-04, 10:06 AM

I am more bothered by the dialogue change than the change of the actor.

If I had to change anything it would be Luke's pansy voice in Star Wars Episode 4.
Old 08-28-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Not sure. I just yanked that from another MB. Some people over there recommended d/l-ing this:

http://www.3ivx.com/download/windows.html
That link doesn't work for me.
Old 08-28-04, 12:09 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I prefer to the original scene. I agree with the others, stating the obvious takes something away from the movie
Old 08-28-04, 01:19 PM
Banned

The original Emperor scene was indeed better than this piss-poor attempt at continuity. The voice, the dialogue, everything.

Keep up the great work, Lucas. You seem to win new fans every day.
Old 08-28-04, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by Rivero

Keep up the great work, Lucas. You seem to win new fans every day.
Old 08-28-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The only reason I could see supporting this change is for continuity's sake. And I personally don't care about that. The original ESB Emperor and the ROTJ Emperor looked and sounded different? Guess what? So do Hayden Christensen and Sebastian Shaw. So do Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor. So does Yoda in TPM and Yoda in Empire(although Lucas is reportedly CGI'ing the former for the next DVD release). If you're a true fan of these films, you'll just accept the differences and overlook them. If all you can do is sit there and nitpick, then why bother watching them in the first place?

And there are many reasons that I absolutely hate this change. First of all, Ian's performance sucks! Which is a big surprise because he's one of the few actors in the prequels who seems to be immune to Lucas' crappy directing. I loved him in TPM and Episode II, and thought he was decent in ROTJ, but a little too over-the-top in a Wicked Witch of the West sort of way. I much prefer the scheming, manipulative Palpatine of the prequels to his decrepit, evil persona in ROTJ.

The other reason I despise this new version is because the dialogue change introduces a major plothole. Either Vader didn't know that Luke was his son until that moment which is absurd given his obsession with tracking him down in the beginning of the film. Or the Emperor didn't realize until just then that Luke and Vader were related which is equally ridiculous since he had to have known everything that Vader did about Luke and his Force abilities and could presumably put two and two together. Another thing that sucks about the dialogue change is that it undermines what Vader says during the infamous "I am your father" scene since he repeats the Emperor's new lines almost verbatim.
Old 08-28-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After reading all these whiny posts it makes me laugh that all of you will be on line when Episode 3 opens and when the originals hit DVD.
Old 08-28-04, 10:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm definitely going to see Episode III. I thought Episode II, while not perfect, was a much better film than Episode I, and was a fair Star Wars film.

I will not buy these new DVDs. I own both the original theatrical versions and the special editions on laserdisc, and I have no intention of supporting change after change after change. If Lucas puts out the OT on DVD, remastered, barebones or with extras, I'll buy it. Until then, long live laserdisc!
Old 08-28-04, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by harosa
After reading all these whiny posts it makes me laugh that all of you will be on line when Episode 3 opens and when the originals hit DVD.
Does every Star Wars Thread have a post similar to this?
Old 08-28-04, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by harosa
No, I won't, for either.

I've given up on "Star Wars" and moved on. Maybe I'm just growing up, but I don't see the point of sitting down to watch movies I used to love only to get pissed off every few minutes when another idiotic change rears its ugly head.
Old 08-29-04, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard Ep.III will have an army of wall crawling lizard people.
Old 08-29-04, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I heard the zombies in Ep.III are fast and they can run and jump.
Old 08-29-04, 02:30 AM

Is this an officially announced change?
Old 08-29-04, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by Apone
Is this an officially announced change?
Nope. But these changes will be on the disc regardless if Lucas wants to officially announce the changes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.