Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

why do some hate pulp fiction?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

why do some hate pulp fiction?

Old 08-23-04, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw Titanic on opening weekend, and STILL say it's a very good movie.

That's the trick, really. To *not be afraid* of what other people might think of you for stating your honoest opinion. I'm catching all sorts of noise in another thread for saying my least favorite DVDs are The Matrix, American Beauty and Moulin Rouge!. I know darn well that they're very popular. I don't care that other people love them, I don't, and I shouldn't be afraid to say so.

My pick for most influential film since 1977? Die Hard.
Old 08-23-04, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by Rivero
Deep down anyone this close-minded who honestly felt this way would be the true idiot. I don't think you're an idiot, just one of those guys who can't stand anything that becomes too popular. Kinda like some people I know who saw Titanic opening weekend and said they liked it. Flashforward five months, it's the #1 film of all time and has 11 Oscars, these very same people say they don't like it. People like this simply equate popularity = shit. THESE are idiots.

I couldn't agree more. Just because something is popular doesn't mean that it's crap. LORT are popular, does that mean that all 3 flicks are crap because so many people like it. Every movie is going to have people that like it, love it, or hate it. But to judge people by their taste in movies (Pulp Fiction) is very close minded. My best friend thinks that the Friday th 13th francise are great movies, am I going to stop talking to him because I think these movies are total crap, I don't think so.
Old 08-23-04, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by shill66
I saw Titanic on opening weekend, and STILL say it's a very good movie.

That's the trick, really. To *not be afraid* of what other people might think of you for stating your honoest opinion. I'm catching all sorts of noise in another thread for saying my least favorite DVDs are The Matrix, American Beauty and Moulin Rouge!. I know darn well that they're very popular. I don't care that other people love them, I don't, and I shouldn't be afraid to say so.

My pick for most influential film since 1977? Die Hard.
Your entitled to your opinion. When I first saw Titanic I thought it was just ok, nothing out of this world, and I still think that today. I've better I've seen worse. I have better things to do than worry about what people think of me because of what movies I like or don't like.
Old 08-23-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a PERFECT example of "that guy" that I was referring to at the begining of this thread. Kids that try to be different yet either have no clue what they are talking about or don't know how to explain themselves. . .

Originally posted by Debaser
I have this personal critera that I use to judge people and it's based around wether or not you like Pulp Fiction. I can be best friends with someone or have a relationship with a woman but if you like Pulp Fiction deep down I'll think your a fucking idiot.

That out of the way what I despise about the film is a) popularity for a movie that is complete and utter ass
Those are some very harsh & childish things to say. For such a bold statement, could you actually explain WHY "the movie is complete & utter ass"?

the fact that it blatently rips off other films and calls it 'homages'
Clearly since you are so offended, these must be some of your favorite movies EVER that it rips off, so can you enlighten us, & actually tell us what movies it "blatently rips off". Or did you just read that in some review once, & thought it sounded cool.

I'd like to say right off the bat that I'm not personally attacking anyone for liking the film. Everyone has personal preferences and I'm not going to force my opinion on somebody's else's equally valid opinion.

Ohhh, I'm sorry if I couldn't read b/w the lines of you post. It's sooo hard to understand that you " arenot personally attacking anyone for liking the film " after you start the thread saying " if you like Pulp Fiction deep down I'll think your a fucking idiot.
Old 08-23-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoy being that 'guy'. I relish being that 'guy'. Why the hell would I want to enlighten someone so they can join my fucking bandwagon.

You like 'Pulp Fiction' and I hate it. What else is there to know?

In fact posts like this make me think people who like 'Pulp Fiction' are even more fucking idiots. Somebody has to explain it like talking to child who what why? Explain it because it's ripping my idea of reality apart some guy on the internet didn't like it!!!11

I explained it simply and briefly just like people here who had the opinion that they enjoyed the movie.

I don't have to give a ten page critical analysis when alot of people go 'Man the dialogue is cool and Bruce Willis with the sword rocked!'
Old 08-23-04, 10:52 AM
Banned

How old are you, Debaser? Seriously.
Old 08-23-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How is this relevant? I guess it's about as relevant as a 40 year old man making a career out of juevenile fantasizes.

Cough * Kill Bill * Cough.
Old 08-23-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Stop calling me a fucking idiot
Old 08-23-04, 11:28 AM
Banned

How is this relevant?
You seem to have a childish mentality. I want to know who I'm talking to so I can shoot down your misgivings with the film and address your issues appropriately and in a way I know you'll be able to understand.
Old 08-23-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I suspect that alot of Pulp Fiction haters did not enjoy the film because of the drug use, the vulgar language, the distorted time frame (some think of it as a gimmick), the violence (despite the fact that very little violence was shown on screen) and the lack of any 'action' scenes (even if it isn't an action movie).

I loved it for all of the above reason because it is NOT like any of the typical Hollywood fare dealing with the above subject matter. And the dialogue is the real star of the movie = awesome.

Oh, I like Titantic too. It is a good movie and I thought Kate Winslet is lovely as always, and even Leo did a decent job.
Old 08-23-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

c) the acting skills of Quentin Tarantino .
He has acting skills

Honestly, the movie could have been better without that man in any of the scenes. He makes Keanu Reeves look like Sir Lawrence Olivier.

I agree with Jack. While Pulp Fiction may have been somewhat influential, there are other films that are far more influential. Pulp Fiction's greatest achievement (apart from the Screenplay Oscar) is its induction into Pop Culture.
Old 08-23-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoy being that 'guy'. I relish being that 'guy'. Why the hell would I want to enlighten someone so they can join my fucking bandwagon.

You like 'Pulp Fiction' and I hate it. What else is there to know?

In fact posts like this make me think people who like 'Pulp Fiction' are even more fucking idiots. Somebody has to explain it like talking to child who what why? Explain it because it's ripping my idea of reality apart some guy on the internet didn't like it!!!11

I explained it simply and briefly just like people here who had the opinion that they enjoyed the movie.

I don't have to give a ten page critical analysis when alot of people go 'Man the dialogue is cool and Bruce Willis with the sword rocked!'
If you sat down & tried, you could not have proved my point anymore. The ONLY reason you don't like Pulp Fiction is b/c other people like it. You can't name any of the movies it supposively rips off & then you whine how you don't want to give a 10 page ciritcal analysis, yet you took the time to make a long post anyway. And where on my post do I say I liked the movie anyway?

What is sadder, is that you are the one kid that is actually more pathetic than being "that guy". You are the guy (kid) that actually LOVES the movie, but b/c you like instigating people, you pretend you hate it so much, yet can't explain why b/c you actually love the movie, just so you can be different & somehow feel unique. The fact that you've seen Kill Bill only proves that point, for someone w/ such an a supposively intense hatred for Tarantino movies, why on earth would you see his new movie?
Old 08-23-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm one of those people who didn't see Titanic till it came out on dvd. Meh. It was okay. I don't care for Leo diCaprio. I haven't since I first saw him on Growing Pains all those years ago.

I liked watching the boat sink.

But it wasn't worth wading through two hours of romantic dreck to watch that boat sink.
Old 08-23-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Sessa17
The fact that you've seen Kill Bill only proves that point, for someone w/ such an a supposively intense hatred for Tarantino movies, why on earth would you see his new movie?
This argument is the biggest (universal) fanboy contradiction in the book. Debaser must subconsciously like Tarantino movies because he saw Kill Bill, but if he didn't see Kill Bill then he can't possibly critisize it.

As far as why I don't like Pulp Fiction:

It's really only dislike because I have watched it a few times and don't really mind watching it if it's on and I have nothing else to do. First of all, it is very gimmicky. There's the timeline thing (can someone explain to me why he always has to do it the way he does), the glowing briefcase thing, and the scripture quoting thing.

I also think it is just boring. There aren't really any moments in the movie that stick with me and that I look forward to when I watch it.

I would have also pointed to Tarantino's obnoxious cameo, but I think that's a cop-out. It's horrible, but I don't think it is enough to hate the movie. It only serves as a reason to dislike the man.

I'm sorry I don't like the movie and I'm sorry I can't justify it the way Roger Ebert would.
Old 08-23-04, 01:25 PM

de·base ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-bs)

tr.v. de·based, de·bas·ing, de·bas·es

To lower in character, quality, or value; degrade.
See Synonyms at adulterate. See Synonyms at corrupt. See Synonyms at degrade.

---

From www.dictionary.com

I think it says all that needs to be said.
Old 08-23-04, 01:54 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I, too, would like to know what movies PF rips off. And remember I didnt like the movie.

I agree that PF has lame cartoony characters that didnt interest me. Yes were are just like any gun-toting gangster, crack whore etc...

The plot was silly and just didnt grab me. Some video games have better plot.

Again, the violence and drug use just didnt bother me.
Old 08-23-04, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Save Ferris
I, too, would like to know what movies PF rips off.
Ask Rivero and you shall receive:

Last edited by Rivero; 08-23-04 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-23-04, 02:26 PM
Mod Emeritus

Guys, some of this is getting to personal. Let's try to keep the discussion on the topic and avoid making remarks about other members.
Old 08-23-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ask Rivero and you shall receive:

"Ripping-off" other movies IMO is lifting a scene straight from another movie & claiming it's yours, I don't see any other way to classify it. If you look at Band of Outsiders, it's Tarantino's favorite movie so he paid homage to it by giving Uma a similar hair style & creating his own dance scene. How is that "ripping-off" Band of Outsiders? Does that mean he ripped off every movie every with a dance scene, a gun, drug use etc etc.

I don't see how Pulp Fiction does that, it's influences are faily obvious, but he has always said what they were, & he gives little nods in Pulp & all his movies to the movies that he loves. Which is the EXACT same thing Spielberg did with Indiana Jones yet nobody hates him b/c he "rips-off" other movies. The entire point of Raiders was an homage to the films & stories he loved as a kid. The guy has a shot in Raiders that is THE EXACT SAME IMAGE as a classic drawing, so does that mean he ripped it off? He is doing the EXACT same thing Tarantino does, yet he never get's the criticize or hatred in this case, as Tarantino & his influence on film can't ever be debated. Almost every sucessful director puts his influences into his movies, the only reason IMO people always point out that Tarantino does it, is b/c Tarantino openly says he does, so it's more obvious. Like Pulp Fictino or not, if you look at when it came, compared to every mainstream movie at the time, it is far & away more original than anything out at the time, & it's influence clearly shows it.

Last edited by Sessa17; 08-23-04 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-23-04, 02:42 PM
Retired

I agree Sessa17, there's a huge difference between ripping something off and being influenced by other movies. There's really no original ideas anymore in music, movies or art in general, everything out there is influenced by, and borrows from, past work. At least QT openly admits his influences.
Old 08-23-04, 02:50 PM

It's like when I watch a John Woo film, i see Sam Peckinpah influence all over the movie with the slow-mo action scenes. Does that mean Woo is ripping off Peckinpah? Every film maker is going to have his or her influences.
Old 08-23-04, 02:52 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Sessa17
Anyway, "ripping-off" other movies IMO is lifting a scene straight from another movie & claiming it's yours.
Well he's never claimed anything but he HAS recreated scenes from other films; ie. Janet Leigh in Psycho stopped at the lights in her car and seeing her boss just like Butch and Marsellus, the glowing never-seen briefcase from Kiss Me Deadly, etc. I do agree with you and would call these homages rather than rip-offs, at least in Pulp Fiction's case. Kill Bill, however, I'm a little iffy about. The laundry list of "homages" there are so many I can see how Debaser could make an argument discussing THAT film.
Old 08-23-04, 02:57 PM
Retired

Kill Bill, however, I'm a little iffy about. The laundry list of "homages" there are so many I can see how Debaser could make an argument discussing THAT film.
He's a huge fan of HK martial arts movies and made the movie as a homage to the films he loved. He more or less said repeatedly that they whole movie was a homage, he never claimed any of it to be origininal in anything I read (I could have missed something as I'm not a huge QT fan and didn't like KB all that much).
Old 08-23-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[B]Well he's never claimed anything but he HAS recreated scenes from other films; ie. Janet Leigh in Psycho stopped at the lights in her car and seeing her boss just like Butch and Marsellus,
Again, how is that any differnt from my Spielberg example? Tarantino talks in Fangoria magazine specifically about the Psycho moment & many others. He has images on film that stayed with him forever, that are responsible for becoming a director & that he can make movies & acknowledge these inlfuences in his own movies is a dream come true. And there are countless directors that do the same, but like I said, Tarantino always makes it clear what he is doing. I know I sound like a total schill for the guy, truth is I HATE him, I wish he would never put himself in front of a camera, but I dig the hell out of the guy's work & respect his views on modern mainstream film & wish more directors took his approach.
Old 08-23-04, 03:34 PM
Suspended

OP: Why do some hate pulp fiction?

Because I prefer real juice without pulp!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.