Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Juon: The Grudge (Sam Raimi Remake) Trailer

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Juon: The Grudge (Sam Raimi Remake) Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
This looks like an exact copy of the original. Bleh...
Old 10-06-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by eXcentris
This looks like an exact copy of the original. Bleh...
uh.. because it's a remake. Amazing how that whole "remake" thing works out right?
Old 10-06-04, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pretty creepy ass poster too
Old 10-06-04, 04:12 PM
Banned

also kind of cool having the same director do it; with a bigger budget, it's a way of him maybe tweaking his original and maybe doing things he wanted to do the first time around, a la star wars special edition
Old 10-06-04, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I loved the original but would recommend casual fans wait for the remake. While I liked the original 'Ring' I really loved the updated, bigger budget, hollywood version of the Ring even more. I'm hoping they will do for the Grudge, what they did for the Ring.
Old 10-06-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by Kerborus
While I liked the original 'Ring' I really loved the updated, bigger budget, hollywood version of the Ring even more.
I agree wholeheartedly with you on this. Even tho the purists will think Blasphemy to even consider the hollywood version.

I watched the US version of The Ring and it haunted me for weeks there after. When I finally got my hands on the Japanese version I was less than impressed. Don't get me wrong it was a good story but it didn't scare me in the least.

In the same vein I look forward to the new version of the Grudge.
Naturally I'll also buy the original.

Is it just me, or is Japanese/Asian horror (or their entire movie industry for that matter) full of fresh ideas that we rarely get from Hollywood?
Old 10-07-04, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Shot for shot looks just like the original.. I like! the original scared the shit out of me watching it alone in the dark.
It looks so close that they should have just CGI'd Sarah Michelle Gellar into the original. What a waste of millions.
Old 10-07-04, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Gerry P.
It looks so close that they should have just CGI'd Sarah Michelle Gellar into the original. What a waste of millions.
Because Average americans would normally not want to watch a subtitled film and if he could remake it with a nice budget then I'm all for it.
Old 10-07-04, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Because Average americans would normally not want to watch a subtitled film and if he could remake it with a nice budget then I'm all for it.
Those are called "Below Average" Americans.

p.s. The original didn't seem constrained by budget to me.

Last edited by Gerry P.; 10-07-04 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-07-04, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, "Below Average" Americans are the majority you elitist-lol. Besides, if this is more a shot for shot remake, kind of like The Ring was in places, the initial horror comes from the first viewing, you see the Japanese version first, you're more prepared for the shocks of the US version, same thing if you see the remake first and then hunt down the original release.
Old 10-07-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Is there a better trailer out there? Cos the one I saw (and don't get me started on the TV spots) didn't make me wet my pants like all of you here. I'm hoping it's just that the trailer I saw sucked cos I don't get the excitement.
Old 10-07-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Cos the one I saw......didn't make me wet my pants like all of you here
So those rubber pants really do work at keeping all that leakage sealed in.

Ju-on was a hit or miss for most folks I know. Some people were freaked out while others found it boring. I don't expect anything different from this remake. As for the "Below Average" American. Yes, because everyone was rushing out to the limited release of Ju-on: The Grudge when it was playing. See the difference? Even though this film has already been floating around and has actually been playing in theaters. By releasing it with an american star such as gellar and giving it a wider opening you have the chance of making millions. Considering it is by the same director just redoing his work, I'm all for it.

I see no wrong in this course of action.
Old 10-07-04, 03:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by covenant
I agree wholeheartedly with you on this. Even tho the purists will think Blasphemy to even consider the hollywood version.

I watched the US version of The Ring and it haunted me for weeks there after. When I finally got my hands on the Japanese version I was less than impressed. Don't get me wrong it was a good story but it didn't scare me in the least.

In the same vein I look forward to the new version of the Grudge.
Naturally I'll also buy the original.

Is it just me, or is Japanese/Asian horror (or their entire movie industry for that matter) full of fresh ideas that we rarely get from Hollywood?
Probably the reason you preferred the U.S. version is because you saw it first. I find that with The Ring, the shock is the thing. So usually the version you see first is the one that's going to scare you. I'll just say that the Japanese one scared the living daylights out of me and anyone I showed it to before the U.S. version came out. I just found the U.S. version added unecessary complications and too many jump scares.

Considering how similar The Grudge looks, you could probably see either version first and it wouldn't make any difference.

And yes, the Japanese film industry is full of ideas that would be outright rejected by Hollywood.
Old 10-07-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got my confirmation for a screening in NYC on the 19th at midnight with Gellar in attendance. Funny thing is is that they want people to dress up as characters to get their pic taken with Gellar. I wonder if people are going to get dressed up in their drawers like the little boy.
Old 10-07-04, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is there a reason why the original is rated R, while the remake is pg-13 if its supposingly shot for shot?
Old 10-08-04, 12:42 AM
Banned by request

I'm sure the remake isn't literally shot for shot, but there are a lot where he took it directly from the Japanese version.
Old 10-08-04, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by harosa
Well, "Below Average" Americans are the majority you elitist-lol.
Or maybe I just think higher of most Americans than you do...you elitist-lol-hole.
Old 10-08-04, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

imho, asian horror is a level higher than american.
Old 10-08-04, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ive seen alot of Asian horror, and for a majority of the times they go more for atmosphere and genuine chills (which they do achieve) and drop the ball on ending the story in a coherent way. And Gerry, you were the one insulting the majority of americans because they dont want to see a subtitled film, where do you come off now as if you were thinking higher of them?
Old 10-08-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Is this the movie that the same director has now remade three times?
Old 10-08-04, 01:25 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by SunMonkey
Is this the movie that the same director has now remade three times?
Yes. And coming soon, look for The Grudge 2006, The Grudge 2009, and The Grudge 2...013.
Old 10-09-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
uh.. because it's a remake. Amazing how that whole "remake" thing works out right?
ahem... if the difference between an "exact copy" and a "remake" is too subtle for you I'll try to help you out.

The Ring was a remake, Psycho was an exact copy.
Old 10-09-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
A tad bit off topic but for those who have seen the original:

How would you compare it to The Ring? Is there a faster pace? Is there more violence? Is it more of a "we need to set this soul free" piece? Do you have a quarter I can borrow?
Old 10-09-04, 01:29 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Rival11
A tad bit off topic but for those who have seen the original:

How would you compare it to The Ring? Is there a faster pace? Is there more violence? Is it more of a "we need to set this soul free" piece? Do you have a quarter I can borrow?
It's nothing like The Ring, except the female ghost in it moves kind of like Sadako.
Old 10-10-04, 03:24 PM

I hope in the remake that they make Kayako (the ghost girl) more scary. My biggest problem with the original is that I didn't really find her scary, which brought the movie down for me.

I think the idea is scary, and the noises she makes are scary, but she herself, isn't scary. She just looks like a Japanese woman with grey makeup on who bulges her eyes a lot. She could definitely use some "grossing up" in the remake.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.