Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King's IT (2017, D: Andrés Muschietti)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stephen King's IT (2017, D: Andrés Muschietti)

Old 01-19-05, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Resurrecting a dead thread just to slam Richie Cunningham's hair loss?
I started reading the thread, and I was like, damn haven't we discussed this before. Then I get to my post. Funny. Any new word on this?
Old 01-19-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If they made this into a 10-part HBO mini-series, I can see this working. They'd be able to include all the material from the novel (or, at least, all the important moments). Keep Tim Curry - he was great. Cast Ron Howard, dammit, and get Peter Horton in there as Ben Hanscomb! I can't think of an actress, looks-wise, who can portray Beverly Marsh because, in the novel, she was a real stunner.

I liked the kids in the 1990 movie - all of them, and it would be kinda nice if they recast the same kids, with one exception: get a new Beverly (that girl wasn't that beautiful).
Old 01-19-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good gravy, where is my head?? Those kids are 15 years older now. They can play the adults. Big duh.
Old 01-19-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Good gravy, where is my head?? Those kids are 15 years older now. They can play the adults. Big duh.
Well, all except for the one who played the young Bill.
He hung himself last year.
Old 01-19-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, all except for the one who played the young Bill.
Crap! I'm actually shocked - I didn't hear about this. I guess he never got over Lady Bugs.
Old 01-19-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
If they made this into a 10-part HBO mini-series, I can see this working. They'd be able to include all the material from the novel (or, at least, all the important moments).

That would be great for all his works. I wonder why HBO hasn't pursued it.
Old 01-19-05, 11:42 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How was the book, is it worth reading? (I've already seen the 90's movie though).
Old 01-19-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
How was the book, is it worth reading? (I've already seen the 90's movie though).
The movie, while I thought it was a decent attempt, does not compare with the book. This is one of my all-time favorite King books. And I really don't see a 2-hour movie even coming close to doing this book justice. How long was the mini-series? 4 hours? That really trimmed out a lot of stuff as it was.
Old 01-19-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
The book is great. Little kids get killed all over the place. Don't worry they all float in the end at least that was Pennywise says. It could have been edited better but it is a pretty good read.
Old 01-19-05, 03:15 PM

If they made this into a 10-part HBO mini-series, I can see this working. They'd be able to include all the material from the novel (or, at least, all the important moments).
My thoughts exactly. What is it about a 1000 page graphically violent and sexual horror novel that these people think equates to a 3 or 2 hour broadcast TV adaptation? It needs both longer miniseries length and a content rating that only a cable channel like HBO can provide.
Old 01-19-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always been curious about the book but I have tried to get through a couple of Stephen Kings book Needful Things and the Shining) and I thought they were a little long winded. Is "IT" different?

I think it's a horrible Idea to remake this in to a 2 hour movie. They just need a good writer to adapt it and a good director so it doesnt drag like so many other King Miniseries.
Old 01-19-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
IT is a hard read at times. I think they could have cut 100 pages from it but the slow parts are all together. I think it starts off pretty well so if you don't like the first chapter drop it.

I can think of one hugh dead spot. King was doing back history of the town and nothing happens. The chapter is one big nothing, its just useless info. I'm not talking about the parts that talks about what happens each time Pennywise comes to town either because that is good.
Old 01-20-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The problem with the 1990 mini-series is that it is rushed. It's like, in no time, they're going to confront It - meanwhile, in the book, it takes almost a whole summer before the confrontation. There's no build-up in the movie - just boom!

It is just not the type of story that can be told in 3 hours.
Old 01-20-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Excellent book, good mini series, but as said before, unless HBO were to to do a 10 parter, a remake is totally unnecessary.
Old 06-08-12, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Stephen King's IT Remake on the way!!!

http://screencrave.com/2012-06-08/st...eyre-director/

Stephen King’s ‘It’ To Be Adapted Into Two Films By ‘Jane Eyre’ Director

Posted by Travis Woods on June 8th, 2012

Stephen King’s It has always been problematic from a cinematic adaptation standpoint. Though it’s one of his finest novels, how do you translate a 1,138 page novel about an evil extra-dimensional spider that lives beneath a small town and eats the fear of little children, while occasionally parading around a clown named Pennywise? ABC tried it once before in 1990 with a two-part, three-hour miniseries starring John Ritter, and, well…it was at least memorable for Tim Curry’s performance as Pennywise. But now, Warner Bros. is moving forward with a film adaptation from the director of Jane Eyre.

Cary Fukunaga will direct the It adaptation, which will be split into two films (which makes sense, as the lengthy book is essentially split into two halves, and centers around a group who fight It once as children in the 1950s, and then again as adults in the 1980s). While Fukanuga seems an odd choice at first, his debut film, Sin Nombre, dealt in the world of adolescents, while Jane Eyre showed that he could adapt a novel into film. It remains to be seen, however, if the sheer weirdness of It can make the transition to the big screen. Because, you know, the whole giant fear-eating spider from beyond space thing.

Fukunaga will also take on the scripting duties with Chase Palmer. No release date has been scheduled.

In the meantime, dig the official synopsis from King’s website:

A promise made twenty-eight years ago calls seven adults to reunite in Derry, Maine, where as teenagers they battled an evil creature that preyed on the city’s children. Unsure that their Losers Club had vanquished the creature all those years ago, the seven had vowed to return to Derry if IT should ever reappear. Now, children are being murdered again and their repressed memories of that summer return as they prepare to do battle with the monster lurking in Derry’s sewers once more.
Old 06-08-12, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gonna be real hard for anyone to top Curry's performance, but making it as two films is a good sign. It needs that breathing room.
Old 06-08-12, 01:41 PM

Hopefully they film some extra scenes with young Bevvy and Ritchie to be used in a future 11/23/63 movie/show.
Old 06-08-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Maybe this will lead to a release of the original miniseries on Blu-ray at least.
Old 06-08-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Damn. Seven year old post and I didn't know that Jonathan Brandis killed himself.
Old 06-08-12, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How about some Pennywise casting choices?

on IMDB, I read a mention of Paul Giamatti and Jackie Earle Haley.

I thought of maybe someone like Christoph Waltz. I haven't read the book. Was Curry an accurate depiction?
Old 06-08-12, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Tim Burton and Johnny Depp can adapt!
Old 06-08-12, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Tim Burton and Johnny Depp can adapt!
If any one can make a scene of an orgy of 10 year old kids campy it is them two.
Old 06-08-12, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hugo Weaving could probably scare the crap out of young kids in a clown costume.
Old 06-08-12, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm really, really leery of this idea.
Old 06-08-12, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
How about some Pennywise casting choices?
Sid Haig.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.