Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King's IT (2017, D: Andrés Muschietti)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stephen King's IT (2017, D: Andrés Muschietti)

Old 03-29-17, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
re: Stephen King's IT (2017, D: Andrés Muschietti)

Originally Posted by Matto1020
The director already confirmed this was a hard R.

And after watching that trailer, September can't get here soon enough! This just looks fantastic! I just hope they don't cancel the already planned second movie.

And maybe if this does well, we can FINALLY get a real adaptation of The Stand going.

So this movie is only half the story?
Old 03-29-17, 01:49 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
So this movie is only half the story?
Correct. The book is split into two parts, one in the 1950s (80s in the movie) with the kids vs. Pennywise and one in the 80s (present day in the movie) where the kids who are now adults return to face him again.
Old 03-29-17, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Chills while watching this. I read the book twice back in high school and a lot of the scenes jumped out at me.
Old 03-29-17, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Matto1020
Correct. The book is split into two parts, one in the 1950s (80s in the movie) with the kids vs. Pennywise and one in the 80s (present day in the movie) where the kids who are now adults return to face him again.
The problem with the mini-series and I suspect will also be a problem with the second half (if they make it) is that the young kid's story is much more interesting and frightening then the adult portion.

In King's book, he alternates between the two different time periods. It isn't a linear narrative where he first tells all the kids stuff and then all the adult stuff. Both the 1958 and 1985 stories are told concurrently.

The mini-series suffered by separating the kid's story and telling all of it upfront, leaving a very disappointing second half. No matter how good this It is, it'll be a hard sell getting me interested in a second film focused on the adults.
Old 03-29-17, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Very creepy trailer. Looking forward to it and glad it will be R rated.

Did not know that it is being planned as a 2-parter. That's cool.

I haven't seen the TV miniseries since I was in High School, but I still remember the 2nd part was a huge let down. Hopefully this movie doesn't disappoint.
Old 03-29-17, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

I like this trailer better than the entire mini-series. Everything else is frosting.
Old 03-29-17, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Good trailer.

What happened to Stephen King mini-series? Those used to be a yearly staple on TV. Fond memories of watching a them and talking about them at school.
Old 03-29-17, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I hope it's scary.
Old 03-29-17, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Cool trailer.
Old 03-29-17, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Looks good.
Old 03-29-17, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

I've been very skeptical about this project, but that trailer definitely assuaged my fears. The movie looks very entertaining and scary.
Old 03-30-17, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

More Tham 7 million views on Youtube since it went live this morning. Fuck.
Old 03-30-17, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

That was a hell of a trailer. Having never seen the mini series or read the book, I never realized it was a supernatural story. I always thought Pennywise was basically John Wayne Gacy. I'm stoked for this.
Old 03-30-17, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
That was a hell of a trailer. Having never seen the mini series or read the book, I never realized it was a supernatural story. I always thought Pennywise was basically John Wayne Gacy. I'm stoked for this.
Man, I wish I could go back and experience reading IT for the first time again. Terrified me when I read it in middle school.

I watched the mini-series again somewhat recently, and man does it not hold up. Like others have said, the 1st part with the kids was the best, but the 2nd part is kind of a train wreck (save for Tim Curry). The adult portion of the story has always been weaker, but the acting is just a cheese fest and hard to watch.

I think that goes for the other King mini-series of the 80s, It, Stand, Salems Lot, Shining, none of them hold up today. Just terrible acting and writing. They hit mpst of the plot points, but man they just dont take the material seriously. I guess it wasnt possible to go all in back then.

Would love for someone to revisit these on HBO or Netflix.
Old 03-30-17, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by thematahara
Man, I wish I could go back and experience reading IT for the first time again. Terrified me when I read it in middle school.

I watched the mini-series again somewhat recently, and man does it not hold up. Like others have said, the 1st part with the kids was the best, but the 2nd part is kind of a train wreck (save for Tim Curry). The adult portion of the story has always been weaker, but the acting is just a cheese fest and hard to watch.

I think that goes for the other King mini-series of the 80s, It, Stand, Salems Lot, Shining, none of them hold up today. Just terrible acting and writing. They hit mpst of the plot points, but man they just dont take the material seriously. I guess it wasnt possible to go all in back then.

Tobe Hooper's Salem's Lot and Kubrick's Shining definitely hold up today.
Old 03-30-17, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Tobe Hooper's Salem's Lot and Kubrick's Shining definitely hold up today.
Reminds me that I should check out Hooper's film again. Can barely remember it its been so long since I last saw it.

I was referring to the mini-series in regards to Salem and Shining
Old 03-30-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I watched Salems Lot again before Christmas and it does hold up very well. It has some great creepy sets and cinematography.
Old 03-30-17, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Salem's Lot is one of the better made-for-tv shows.
Old 03-30-17, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
More Tham 7 million views on Youtube since it went live this morning. Fuck.
From what I've gauged off metrics around the trailer, unless the reviews are just absolutely dreadful or some other piece of bad luck befalls the movie, this should have a damn near record breaking opening for a horror flick.
Old 03-30-17, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 127 Posts

It is my favorite book. I really want this to be good, but I'm just not feeling it from the preview. Moving the kid portion to the 80's is fine, but I think it needs to capture two things to really live up to the source material. The kids have to be outcasts. They're not just kids going through a terrifying ordeal, they were already dealing with being pariahs for being a stutterer, asthmatic, fat kid, poor girl, redheaded nerd, black kid and Jew. A big part of the characters is how they come together and strengthen each other when the world had tried to weaken them. Two, part of what made It so terrifying was that much of the horror takes place in plain daylight. Things can look normal, with the rest of the world going about its business, but horrific things are happening that everyone but the victims seem oblivious to. The movie may well hit both of those fantastically, but the trailer didn't really inspire much confidence.
Old 03-30-17, 02:22 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by thematahara

Hate to break it to you but with the exception of Salems Lot those were the '90s.
Old 03-30-17, 02:28 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
It is my favorite book. I really want this to be good, but I'm just not feeling it from the preview. Moving the kid portion to the 80's is fine, but I think it needs to capture two things to really live up to the source material. The kids have to be outcasts. They're not just kids going through a terrifying ordeal, they were already dealing with being pariahs for being a stutterer, asthmatic, fat kid, poor girl, redheaded nerd, black kid and Jew. A big part of the characters is how they come together and strengthen each other when the world had tried to weaken them. Two, part of what made It so terrifying was that much of the horror takes place in plain daylight. Things can look normal, with the rest of the world going about its business, but horrific things are happening that everyone but the victims seem oblivious to. The movie may well hit both of those fantastically, but the trailer didn't really inspire much confidence.
Yea... you're going to get all that from a teaser trailer.
Old 03-30-17, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
That's not the goal of a teaser. They needed to show that this new version is going to be slick and scary, and that's exactly what it did.
Old 03-30-17, 02:55 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

He's got a point however. I could easily see some exec saying the characters aren't "likable" and they need some foxy girl to play Bev. But I don't think they've gone that way.
Old 03-30-17, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.