Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Kingkiller Chronicles (D: Sam Raimi)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-18, 03:42 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Sam Raimi is in negotiations to direct Lionsgate’s adaptation of “The Kingkiller Chronicles,” based on Pat Rothfuss’ classic novels.

In 2016, Lionsgate tapped “Hamilton” star and creator Lin-Manuel Miranda to serve as creative producer and musical mastermind of the feature film and TV series adaptations of “The Kingkiller Chronicle,” along with Rothfuss. Miranda has the option to be involved in future stage productions as well.

Lionsgate had no comment on the Raimi news.

The film’s script is being penned by Lindsey Beer, who served as a writer on “Transformers: The Last Knight.” It will be based on the first book in Rothfuss’ series, “The Name of the Wind.”

The series is centered on the wizard Kvothe, who survives a tragic childhood to become a notorious household name. “The Kingkiller Chronicle” series of books and novellas has sold 10 million copies, and the first two books — “The Name of the Wind” and “The Wise Man’s Fear” — were New York Times bestsellers.

Showtime is also currently developing a “Kingkiller Chronicle” TV show based on the series.

Raimi has been weighing several projects currently in development, including the Skydance pic “Bermuda Triangle,” but sources say this film is in the best position to be his next project.

Raimi, who may be best known for the “Evil Dead” series and the original “Spider-Man” trilogy, has been focused on his producing in recent years, and hasn’t directed anything since 2013’s “Oz the Great and Powerful” for Disney. He is repped by CAA.
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/sa...da-1202678969/
Old 01-29-18, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: The Kingkiller Chronicles (D: Sam Raimi)

I foresee a great first movie and really shitty second one, and a third one that will never happen.
Old 01-29-18, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Maybe it'd be a good movie, but I'd rather donate what I'd pay to watch this movie to the author as incentive to finish the third book. Rothfuss is going all George R.R. Martin on us.
Old 01-29-18, 07:53 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno
Maybe it'd be a good movie, but I'd rather donate what I'd pay to watch this movie to the author as incentive to finish the third book. Rothfuss is going all George R.R. Martin on us.
The first 2 books are great. The hysterical part is when Name of the Wind was released the publisher claimed it would never suffer from Robert Jordan/George RR Martin syndrome because all 3 books were already written. Of course as it turns out that is not true, and the first 2 books really can't cover more than 30% of the entire story. Could be a great movie series but even in worse shape than GOT at this point.
Old 01-29-18, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Book 2 was an abomination. After such an amazing Book 1, I was ready to eat my own face.
Old 01-30-18, 11:43 AM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I enjoyed the second book. But, yeah, probably not as good as the first, which blew me away.