Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King's IT (2017, D: Andrés Muschietti)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stephen King's IT (2017, D: Andrés Muschietti)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-15, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Stephen King's IT Remake

[QUOTE=Solid Snake;12491496] Which I barely remember aside from the clown, his name escapes me, in a drainage. QUOTE]

Pennywise
Old 05-26-15, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
What books are must read King books?
You should venture into Book Talk. Many threads on King.

11/22/63
The Shining
The Stand
Old 05-26-15, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I only know of IT from the old movie. Which I barely remember aside from the clown, his name escapes me, in a drainage.

But is it really that damn good of a book? I've never a King book at all. I've seen some of the films based on his stuff. I do want to read Dark Tower though cuz that sounds all kinds of amazing.

What books are must read King books?
It is a pretty good book but it is fucking long. I love King but a lot of his books, especially the more recent novels could have used some editing. The first four books of the Dark Towers series are excellent, the fifth one has great moments but is again way too long. The last two books are pretty bad. Pet Semetary is my favorite book by King with Misery a close second. The Stand, Salem's Lot, The Shining, Gerald's Game, and The Dark Half are also must-reads IMO.
Old 05-26-15, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

It's been a long time since I've read the book, but I recall it being one of his better ones. Although, I'm getting the impression that I didn't like the ending, not sure why.
Old 05-26-15, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read Fukunaga originally wanted Ben Mendelsohn to play Pennywise. That would have been solid casting.
Old 05-26-15, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'm surprised that Cary was under the impression that the studio would even let him do that.

This isn't LOTR or The Hobbit.
I would have to assume that New Line was leading Fukunaga on all this time. I find it hard to believe that he would have been attached to this project for 3 years if the studio had told him from the beginning that it was only going to be one film.
Old 07-16-15, 03:19 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

New Line’s feature adaptation of Stephen King’s “It” has gained a new director — Andy Muschietti, who directed 2013’s “Mama.”

Muschietti is in talks to replace Cary Fukunaga, who dropped out of the project over the Memorial Day weekend over budget issues. Fukunaga, best known for directing the first season of “True Detective,” came on board to the project in 2012.

Seth Grahame-Smith and David Katzenberg are producing through their KatzSmith banner while Dan Lin and Roy Lee are also producing.

King’s 1986 novel was adapted as a TV miniseries in 1991 starring John Ritter and Tim Curry. The story follows a group of outcast children who come together over summer break to take on a monster troubling their town, only to face their own personal demons in the process.

“Mama” starred Jessica Chastain and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and was a surprise success with worldwide grosses of nearly $150 million on a $15 million budget. Muschietti directed from his own script, based on his 2008 Argentine short film of the same name.

Jon Silk is executive producing “It.” Richard Brener, Walter Hamada and Dave Neustadter are overseeing for New Line; Niija Kuykendall is overseeing for Warner Bros.

Muschietti is repped by WME.
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/st...or-1201541881/
Old 07-16-15, 06:22 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Stephen King's IT Remake (D: Andy Muschietti)

I guess that's cool too.
Old 02-22-16, 12:46 PM

Re: Stephen King's IT Remake (D: Andy Muschietti)

Most novelists are lucky if one of their books catches the eye of Hollywood and makes it into feature film development, but Stephen King’s work has not only inspired countless adaptations, it’s inspired multiple adaptations of the same books. But one of King’s books that’s been ripe for an update is the horror epic It, which was previously made into a miniseries in 1990 and spurred terrible clown-centric nightmares for children everywhere—including yours truly.

A new iteration of It entered development a couple of years ago with True Detective helmer Cary Fukunaga co-writing and directing, but as the project came close to production, the filmmaker departed over creative differences. Now, Mama helmer Andy Muscietti is onboard to direct, and filming is set to get underway later this year.

Steve recently sat down for an exclusive interview with producer Roy Lee at DICE 2016, and Lee confirmed that Fukunaga and Chase Palmer’s original script—which they imbued with many of their personal experiences—has been rewritten:

“It will hopefully be shooting later this year. We just got the California tax credit… Gary Doberman wrote the most recent draft working with Andy Muscetti, so it’s being envisioned as two movies.”

Indeed, the plan was always to make this adaptation two movies, with the first revolving around the characters as children and the second picking up with them as adults. King’s book switches back and forth between the two time periods, and Lee added that once all is said and done, one could conceivably cut these two It movies together to make a more straightforward adaptation of King’s book:

“It is very close to the source material in one way but very different if you look at it as a literary piece of work… We’re taking it and making the movie from the point of view of the kids, and then making another movie from the point of view of the adults, that could potentially then be cut together like the novel. But it’s gonna be a really fun way of making this movie.”

As for the film’s rating, Lee confirms it will be Rated R and adds that while they have a final draft, they’re currently fine-tuning the script to hit their budget target:

“We are very close to turning in the final draft of the script. It’s mainly working on it for budgeting purposes to make it fit within the budget that we have.”

While it remains a bummer that we don’t get to see Cary Fukunaga’s version of this adaptation, it’ll be interesting to see how King’s terrifying novel is translated for modern horror audiences.
http://collider.com/it-movie-news-rating/
Old 02-22-16, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
re: Stephen King's IT (2017, D: Andrés Muschietti)

Still not a fan of two movies. Hopefully that first one is Damn good.
Old 02-22-16, 02:14 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

What's wrong with two movies?
Old 02-22-16, 03:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't mind two movies for this particular story.

It's too bad they didn't manage to tie it into the 11.22.63 series though.
Old 02-22-16, 04:14 PM
Banned

I wonder if they will keep the 1950's/1980's timeline.

While it would be a massive revision of the original novel, I think something really good might be made out of moving the timeline up so that it's 1986 kids and 2016 adults.
Old 02-22-16, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
What's wrong with two movies?
I suppose if the second only got made based on certain box office earnings.
Old 02-22-16, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

They need to remake Salem's Lot and make it as epic as the book.
Old 02-22-16, 08:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by silentbob007
I suppose if the second only got made based on certain box office earnings.
That's not what anyone's proposing. They're talking about multiple movies from the get-go, like LOTR.
Old 06-02-16, 02:38 PM

Looks like the recast the Pennywise.

Bill Skarsgard has the It factor.

The actor, who is one of the stars of Hemlock Grove, has nabbed the role of Stephen King’s iconic villain Pennywise the Clown in New Line’s adaptation of the author’s landmark novel It.

Skarsgard is in final negotiations to star in the horror pic whose cast will also include St. Vincent actor Jaeden Lieberher, Finn Wolfhard, Jack Dylan Grazer, Wyatt Oleff, Chosen Jacobs and Jeremy Ray Taylor.

Andy Muschietti, the director behind the surprise horror hit Mama, is directing the adaptation, which is being told in two parts. Dan Lin, Roy Lee, Seth Grahame-Smith and David Katzenberg are producing.

The story follows a group of teens called the Losers Club who defeat a creature called It. Years later, the creature returns, and the club, now adults, have to band together again even though they have no memory of the first battle.

New Line’s first movie will tell the kids’ story while the second movie will focus on the adults.

Pennywise is the form the evil entity frequently takes. He is a clown who, when he smiles, is all killer teeth.

The project was originally coming together under the direction of Cary Fukunaga, who left over creative differences, and at the time, Will Poulter (We’re the Millers, The Revenant) was to have played Pennywise. The search for a new director pushed the movie by a year and Poulter was no longer available.

Jon Silk is executive producing It. Richard Brener, Walter Hamada and Dave Neustadter are overseeing the project for New Line.

Skarsgard is the son of actor Stellan Skarsgard and the brother Alexander Skarsgard, the latter who stars in Warner’s Legend of Tarzan this summer. Apart from Hemlock Grove, the actor has appeared in Lionsgate’s Divergent.

He is repped by WME.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ebook_20160602
Old 06-02-16, 03:06 PM
Banned

Down here in development hell EVERYBODY floats!
Old 06-02-16, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

One thing that bothered me about the It miniseries is that Pennywise looked like a regular clown, and not particulary scary or creepy (at least as far as clowns go).

Reading the book, the Pennywise I saw in my head was a horrific, inhuman thing. (Did he have razor blades for teeth, or did I misread that?)
Old 06-02-16, 09:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
One thing that bothered me about the It miniseries is that Pennywise looked like a regular clown, and not particulary scary or creepy (at least as far as clowns go).

Reading the book, the Pennywise I saw in my head was a horrific, inhuman thing. (Did he have razor blades for teeth, or did I misread that?)
Tim Curry's Pennywise scared the ever living shit out of me.
Old 06-03-16, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Tim Curry's Pennywise scared the ever living shit out of me.
This,

Pennywise was nightmare inducing.
Old 06-03-16, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ugh...Bill Skarsgard...not a confidence-inspiring choice, in my opinion. Despite the fact that his father and brother are both pretty good actors, when I first saw him on Hemlock Grove his line delivery was so labored and stunted that I legitimately wondered if he didn't know English and was memorizing his lines phonetically like early in Jackie Chan's American career.

That said, maybe he's improved. God knows that I wouldn't like people judging my current job performance on how they remembered me my first few weeks on the job. Still...not sure I'm a fan of such a young Pennywise.
Old 06-03-16, 10:16 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't think I recognize any of those names.
Old 06-04-16, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

The concept of making two movies is interesting as they present it. In essence, the book is being split so it creates its own sequel. Interesting ... Not sure how that will play at the box office, but I am intrigued.
Old 06-05-16, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It's the same way they did the mini-series. There's really no other way to do it. There's too much material for one movie, unless they completely gutted it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.