Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Yu-Gi-Oh movie

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yu-Gi-Oh movie

Anyone had a chance to check out the Yu-Gi-Oh movie yet? Despite being an adult, I'm actually really into the tv show. I read the reviews on rotten-tomatoes, where it currently has a 0% fresh rating - 19 reviews, all negative. But reading some of the reviews, its evident that none of the reviewers have ever watched the tv show. They all complain that its just a 90 minute marketing gimmick to get kids to buy cards because all the do really is a bunch of card duels. Well, thats the whole point of the tv show too really. I couldn't find any reviews of by people who actually like the tv show. Well, I didn't check yu-gi-oh fan boards or anything yet. Just wondering if any fans have actually watched it yet to give their opinion on it.
Old 08-13-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
You know, I once watched an episode of Yu-Gi-Oh. It was like watching 22 minutes of two over-excitable children playing a card game. And the scoring system was ludicrous. "There! I laid down my Dark Magical Ubersnail of Misery! I get eight billion points!!!"

If I want to sit and watch people play cards, I'll check out Canasta Night at Century Village. And jurli
Old 08-13-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I couldn't find any reviews of by people who actually like the tv show.
perhaps that tells you something about the show.

Ok, I kid, I kid. But in all truth, these type of films never really get good word of mouth or anything like that. Pokemon franchise died soon after the second film. where did power rangers go?

Seems like parents only take the kids to watch this as one reviewer stated.. to watch the 90 minute commcercial for cards they will have to buy them later. With the choice of taking the kids to the alternative to see Princess Diary 2 instead this weekend I think it wont make it past 7 million mark.
Old 08-13-04, 03:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I saw it this afternoon. In one scene, Ram-O-Ne plays the "Mystical River" against Ty-Ro-Ne, but he never played "Inn of Happiness" first! I couldn't believe they made such an error. Perhaps a scene was cut when they translated it to English? Has anybody seen the Japanese version to confirm?
Old 08-13-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I actually saw it at a free preview last weekend. I'm in my late 20s and I watch Yu-Gi-Oh! every Saturday morning. I'm hooked on this show much like I was with Transformers when I was a young boy. I still watch lots of animation today...I don't think it's something that will just go away in my life.

Anyway, I thought the movie was pretty good...however you have to have knowledge of what the heck Yu-Gi-Oh! is all about or you will be really lost (which explains all the negative reviews, the reviewers have never seen the series and this isn't a standalone movie like Cowboy Bebop: The Movie or Escaflowne: The Movie, it continues a story...and afterwards the new TV arc after Battle City will continue from the movie is my guess). Basically the movie happens after the current arc on television (the ending of the arc has not aired yet here...this movie happens after it).

If you want some spoilers, here they are:

Spoiler:
Yugi/Yami is now in possession of all 3 God Cards (no surprise).

Maximillion Pegasus makes a reappearance and has a card that can solve everything (no surprise)

At least 3 new cards are introduced, including the subtitle for the movie: "Pyramid of Light" (not named in the posters or anything, but it is in the opening credits)

Kaiba actually does more dueling in this movie than Yugi and he is his same old jerk self, showing none of the hints of caring he is currently displaying in the Battle City Tournament arc.

Much like other anime that gets American movie treatment (in theaters) there are rock themes in the quiet parts.

The dialogue is very bad, especially when Joey and Tristan are trying to be funny. I mean, the dialogue is worse than on the TV show, but when they are joined by another character things seem to get better from the dialogue angle

One monster is eliminated and resurrected 3 times in one duel...it got a bit old to be honest.

...and the most powerful monster(s) ever is summoned

If you have a child that likes Yu-Gi-Oh! I'd take them to it, but bring some headphones or something because if you haven't watched the show you'll be totally lost no matter how much info they try to catch you up on.

Other than that, I'd wait for the DVD...although since this is a Warner Bros. production I have a feeling it will only be full-screen like the Pokemon movies early on were. I had to sit up front in the theater, so I can't give an accurate portrayal of the animation other than the cards themselves (not the monsters that come out of them) looked much better than the TV series.

Last edited by AgtFox; 08-13-04 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-13-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

where did power rangers go?
The movie franchise was never hot to begin with, but the television show still has it's loyal fan base. Same goes for Pokemon.
Old 08-13-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
I'll probably sneak in to see it as I am a faithful Saturday morning watcher. I think it has a better story than Pokemon but each week kills since it seems to take 4 episodes to complete a battle.
Old 08-13-04, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The typical DBZ format I see.
Old 08-13-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We sold out every single show so far today. They were'nt small theaters either...

The kids are all mad for the cards you get with the ticket. Kids are fighting over them. It's terrific to watch.
Old 08-13-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What are the 4 cards anyway? Were they the ones introduced in the movie? Only reason I ask is because the lineup of kids were fighting over getting their cards outside the theater after the movie and I didn't feel like grabbing one for myself.
Old 08-13-04, 07:19 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
My son and I are going tomorrow morning. I am a Saturday morning faithful watcher and have a few cards in my deck. I'll be intrigued to see if they don't stop every 10 mins and repeat what went on in the last 10 mins.

Hopefully we'll get some cards, but I won't be sad if we don't.
Old 08-13-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Seriously, this is how the nearby theater marked the marquee for this movie:

Yu-Gi-Ho

Old 08-13-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally posted by Goldberg74
Hopefully we'll get some cards, but I won't be sad if we don't.
Even if it was an Egyptian God Card?
Old 08-13-04, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually like the TV show. I find it funny since when they play duel monsters it almost feels like they're making up the rules as they go (Calvinball anyone?) .
Old 08-14-04, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by devilshalo
Even if it was an Egyptian God Card?
I got Pyramid of Light and my son got Watapon. Both cards were in the film... and I can onyl assume that the other cards were Andrio Sphinx and SphinxTeleia. Note: The other two cards are Sorcerer of Dark Magic and Blue Eyes Shining Dragon.

After seeing it, I thought it was rather good. Although I hate it when they preachy about their technique or philosophy of the game.

I loved the part where Kiaba tells Pegasus to shut up about the description of his card he's about to play with some snide comment like: "Do you think I'm an amateur, I know what that card does, just shut up and play!"

... I'll go away now.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 08-15-04 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-15-04, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm taking my 2 kids today to see this. They are already going nuts about wanting the cards.
Old 08-15-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Goldberg74
I loved the part where Kiaba tells Pegasus to shut up about the description of his card he's about to play with some snide comment like: "Do you think I'm an amateur, I know what that card does, just shut up and play!"
Yeah, that was pretty hilarious. Pegasus' comeback, of course, has "Kaiba-boy" in it...probably drives Kaiba batty as well as Yugi when he called him "Yugi-boy" all the time...heh.

Well, I guess Pyramid of Light won't be a rare card. I was doubtful they'd hand out God cards as one of the 4 since they are such rare cards (or so I read).
Old 08-15-04, 05:08 PM

The reviews over at Rotten Tomatoes are scathing, but then you have to stop and think that these people have never watched the TV show. For example:

"This lousy animated feature not only looks like bargain-basement TV animation blown up to big-screen proportions, it also feels like a round or two of the trading-card game."
-- Jeff Vice, DESERET NEWS, SALT LAKE CITY
Uh Jeff, that's all the TV show is as well!

Critics.
Old 08-15-04, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by AgtFox
Yeah, that was pretty hilarious. Pegasus' comeback, of course, has "Kaiba-boy" in it...probably drives Kaiba batty as well as Yugi when he called him "Yugi-boy" all the time...heh.

Well, I guess Pyramid of Light won't be a rare card. I was doubtful they'd hand out God cards as one of the 4 since they are such rare cards (or so I read).
God Cards can't be that rare. I don't know jack about the Yugioh card game myself but I have an 8 year old cousin that has like 2 or 3 of each of the God Cards in his huge stack of cards that he has. Either that or his parents have bought him way too many card packs.
Old 08-15-04, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by cross
God Cards can't be that rare. I don't know jack about the Yugioh card game myself but I have an 8 year old cousin that has like 2 or 3 of each of the God Cards in his huge stack of cards that he has. Either that or his parents have bought him way too many card packs.
The funny thing about the Egyptian God Cards is that they are banned from use in Official Tournament play. So they are nothing but Collector's Cards.

From the Yu-Gi-Oh TCG site:
WHAT DO THE EGYPTIAN GOD CARDS DO?

Nothing. They're not legitimate Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game cards. They have no effects and cannot be used in your Deck.
Old 08-15-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didnt even know it was a movie until Friday when i went to AVP and all these kids were there, figuring it was for AvP but it was for Yu-gi instead.
Old 08-15-04, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A few Yahoo User Reviews I found:

As soon as the movie began a dark cloud descended over the theater, a tempest of unparalelled magnitude! The winds howled, the lightening lanced through the sky, and the rain was crimson. It could only be the blood of the innocent. A thousand tortured screams tore through the gale, bowel control was lost within seconds. It was then, as I sat in a pool of my own feces, I knew that there was no hope for the world, that all of us were damned the second our mothers pushed us from their wombs. Lackaday, oh woe is me!

Another:

I WUZZ SING DIS MMOVEE AN I LIK TEH YUGIOH OMGOMG TAHY FIGH FOR TEH TINGS. YAY. I GO TAK MY MEDISINE NAOW.