Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

DVDTalk HSX Leaderboard: 8/13 (Box Office Game)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

DVDTalk HSX Leaderboard: 8/13 (Box Office Game)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-04, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Putting every cent I had in Open Water and Without a Paddle... Could have gone horribly, but instead my entire portfolio is up 21% for the day.

My Month to Date is finally out of the red after the lovely Shrek 4 and a series of mistakes since. You know you were in trouble when you're up 21% in a single day, and your month to day is only up 4%. Here's hoping this is the end of my ugly streak.
Old 08-22-04, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
The money I made on WOPAD actually lessened the blow I was expecting from OPENW's adjust.
Old 08-23-04, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Had a great day today. Moved up over $2 million and so far I am making some money for tomorrow.

I am hoping after commissions I can break $39 million tonight.
Old 08-23-04, 08:06 AM

It seems to me that everyone can track everyone else's daily progress since we have everyone's ID names.

Why do some people feel the need to constantly update us all on how they did today? Especially 2 and 3 posts a day. If I am interested, I can check on HSX to see how you all did.

Am I crazy for thinking this or do other people agree?
Old 08-23-04, 08:16 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
For some reason, BENJI hasn't adjusted yet. I guess the studio is slow in reporting the numbers.
Old 08-23-04, 08:40 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
For some reason, BENJI hasn't adjusted yet. I guess the studio is slow in reporting the numbers.
How long does it take to count $35,000 in admissions?
Old 08-23-04, 08:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by JasonF
They're short staffed, so I think the dog is doing it, shortly before they ship him to the horse-food factory.
Old 08-23-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't seem to drop OPENW. It's going to be the death of me.
Old 08-23-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JasonF
The estimate from BOM is over $1.5 Million. I actually think it will do around $7 million by delist. Of course I like dog movies
Old 08-23-04, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by gcribbs
The estimate from BOM is over $1.5 Million. I actually think it will do around $7 million by delist. Of course I like dog movies
This movie did 1.5 MM in its first weekend and you think it is going to make 7 million by delist?

This is clearly a case of somebody trying to inflate the value of a stock they are holding.
Old 08-23-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kcbrett5
This movie did 1.5 MM in its first weekend and you think it is going to make 7 million by delist?

This is clearly a case of somebody trying to inflate the value of a stock they are holding.

One it is halted.

Two it will adjust down not up.

Three I am wrong often enough that I would be shocked if anyone bought it because of me. When I said I was holding the stocks I picked long they all went down not up.

Your best bet when I mention how I am holding a stock is probably to not buy it at all or go the other way

a $7 million delist is not too far gone when you consider it is opening regionally and may open in a new region within the four week period.

Plus I just hope the movie does well. I am not too worried about my little investment in it since frankly I can care less if it goes to zero.
Old 08-23-04, 03:54 PM

Yes of course, you are wrong so often. You post 3 times a day to tell us how many millions you made today and you now are selling the story that you are wrong all of the time?

My point: The HSX game has code of conduct rules where the posters don't give out specific advice about what to long and short. I am guessing that the logic behind that is to prevent people from doing what you do.

Just a thought.
Old 08-23-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My point: The HSX game has code of conduct rules where the posters don't give out specific advice about what to long and short. I am guessing that the logic behind that is to prevent people from doing what you do.
thankfully this isn't HSX. if he was posting this on the HSX Message boards then you have a case there. We are doing a personal game here and really, he post a lot. He has been wrong on a lot of things that I have noticed. He just makes up for it by being right on those that count.

If you don't want to follow his advice don't. It's all up to you and if you do follow his advice then you are doing it at your own risk. But to apply the HSX code of conduct to this message board is silly and pointless if you ask me.
Old 08-23-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Yes of course, you are wrong so often. You post 3 times a day to tell us how many millions you made today and you now are selling the story that you are wrong all of the time?

Just a thought.
You don't have to listen. God knows I don't listen to gcribbs anymore
Old 08-23-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For what it's worth, I like to know what people are buying and shorting, it gives me ideas.

Of course, my portfolio has been rocked badly lately, my latest move was to short about 25,000 of OPENW at $35.41. I need to just cover this and do something else.

So, what are you people doing?
Old 08-23-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm going short on AVP. I really think it's going to drop some before adjust. as it is facing huge daily drops.
Old 08-23-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just a thought.
I figured we were playing a game where we talk with each other. I have given bad and good advice.

I guess you do not like my posts. My advice- use the ignore user and you will never need to read what I post ever again.

No skin off my nose.
Old 08-23-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I finally rid myself of Open Water. I meditated about it all night and finally came to a firm decision.
Old 08-23-04, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by B.A.
I finally rid myself of Open Water. I meditated about it all night and finally came to a firm decision.
Sometimes it is best to cut and run.

The good thing is that you can use it on a stock tonight and try to make some money on it
Old 08-23-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anaconda is doing extremely well, up 7% just today. Glad I have it to offset Without a Paddle... Ended up reversing WaP and shorting it yesterday shortly after the adjust. It was going down nicely for a bit, but now it's up to it's all-time high.

Hoping it will drop like a rock before long, so I can cover it and short Hero. It's only a matter of time before people realize it just isn't going to make much in the US. Up to $36 now, when there is absolutely no chance for it getting $10mil this weekend. I think $5mil would be an impressive opening for it. And yet it seems the general feeling on it, between the call and the stock itself is close to a $15mil opening...
Old 08-23-04, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by coladar
Anaconda is doing extremely well, up 7% just today. Glad I have it to offset Without a Paddle... Ended up reversing WaP and shorting it yesterday shortly after the adjust. It was going down nicely for a bit, but now it's up to it's all-time high.

Hoping it will drop like a rock before long, so I can cover it and short Hero. It's only a matter of time before people realize it just isn't going to make much in the US. Up to $36 now, when there is absolutely no chance for it getting $10mil this weekend. I think $5mil would be an impressive opening for it. And yet it seems the general feeling on it, between the call and the stock itself is close to a $15mil opening...

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...ddendragon.htm

People are comparing it to Crouching Tiger. It did $8.6 million when it went wide onto 693 screens. so people are making an assumption it can do similar numbers per theater.
Old 08-24-04, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

with QT's named attached to it and the hype of kill bill. I really think it can make some decent money. I wont play it till later though.
Old 08-24-04, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've seen the comparison to Crouching Tiger all over the place, but from what I remember, there was something quite different with it. Crouching had a limited release for quite a while and built some serious mainstream buzz, at which point it went wide. Before Crouching Tiger had that sensational first weekend in wide release, it was the talk of the country. At least as much as a Chinese subtitled film could be.

As far as I can tell, the only real buzz around Hero in this country (I know it's done extremely well and was received to great praise internationally) is the QT name. As you mentioned, Crouching Tiger did $8.6mil on 693 screens, and Hero is opening on 1200+. It's possible Hero could do $10mil+, but if it does, it will be because of the QT name only.

On the bright side, Without a Paddle is finally starting to drop.

Last edited by coladar; 08-24-04 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-24-04, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
with QT's named attached to it and the hype of kill bill. I really think it can make some decent money. I wont play it till later though.
I don't know... a lot of people will feel 'betrayed'. They came to see Jet Li kicking ass... not a 'motion painting'.
Old 08-24-04, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

those who feel betrayed seem to be film elitist who enjoy bragging about seeing a film atleast a year before it hits U.S. distribution.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.