Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

HERO w/ Jet Li

Old 09-07-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts
I really like this movie, but the thing that I enjoyed that most people seemed iffy about was the plot.

I thought it was an excellent deconstruction of storytelling and building of myth and legends. Prespective vs. blatant lying with shades of truth. Coverups and lies.

I love the visuals (especially the leafs turning red) but felt a few bits went a bit too far over the top to the point of unintentional laughability. But thats only a couple scenes, so nothing too distracting.

But thats me, so whatever

Last edited by RichC2; 09-07-04 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-07-04, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by LorenzoL

However, I did have trouble with some of the plot and didn't find it as strong of a movie for a Zhang Yimou film especially compared to his old classic Raise the Red Lantern. However, this did not deter from my enjoyment of this film especially watching beautiful ladies such as Zhang Ziyi and Maggie Cheung on the big screen.
You got that right, Zhang Ziyi is mesmerizing to watch. So beautiful.
Old 09-07-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally posted by Grimfarrow
Huh? HOFD didn't win anything at Cannes.
Sorry, my mistake, I think it was met with a favorite reaction by the attending people during the movie gala night. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-07-04, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally saw this tonight....I thought it was beautiful overall, but it was just "good" for the first 2 acts.

Spoiler:
It wasn't until Nameless told Broken Sword's story (the start of the green outfits) that I really got into it and the movie went from good to wonderful, for me at least. The scene with the green silk drapes falling during the Broken Sword and the King fight is one of the most distinctive visual images I can recall seeing in recent cinema
Old 09-11-04, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I finally saw it
Spoiler:
I thought the fight between flying snow and moon was incredible. The whole film was beautifully done, but this was my favorite scene by far. Zhang Ziyi is unbelievably hot.
Old 09-11-04, 06:24 PM

Yes, yes she is. And I normally am not attracted to Asian women. (this is a reference to ivelostr2's comment in the spoiler above)
Old 09-12-04, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally posted by Joem
Yes, yes she is. And I normally am not attracted to Asian women. (this is a reference to ivelostr2's comment in the spoiler above)
Well, I was fortunate enough to attend the North American premiere of "The House of the Flying Daggers" today at the Toronto Film Festival and seeing Zhang Ziyi up close (I was seated in the second row) and have to say that she's even more gorgeous in person. Words cannot describe how beautiful this lady is
Old 09-12-04, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by LorenzoL
Well, I was fortunate enough to attend the North American premiere of "The House of the Flying Daggers" today at the Toronto Film Festival and seeing Zhang Ziyi up close (I was seated in the second row) and have to say that she's even more gorgeous in person. Words cannot describe how beautiful this lady is
Lucky bastid.