Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

HERO w/ Jet Li

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-04, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by caiman
No. There's no region 1 release of this movie. I have the HK 2-disc set, and it's region 3.
I believe some of those HK, Edko R3 releases are actually region free.
Old 08-12-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the gung dong face dvd's are region 0. sure they aren't the highest quality (the current extended dvd has an annoying pop up sub that appears every once in a while), but if you can't wait for miramax to release it, ebay is the way to go.
Old 08-12-04, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oi! I absolutely love telling everyone I have this movie on DVD already. Thread title needs a change!
Old 08-12-04, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
actually, the cut thats coming to theaters this month is indeed the full uncut 113 min version of the movie.
Yes, Keep on believing that.

Where's the roll-eyes icon when I need it?
Old 08-13-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Grimfarrow
Yes, Keep on believing that.

Where's the roll-eyes icon when I need it?
i read that harvey would release it uncut if tarantino's name was on it. (in ew), i'll check it out in theaters when it does come out.
Old 08-13-04, 11:04 AM

i read that harvey would release it uncut if tarantino's name was on it...
Uncut, as in no cuts to the 98 minutes version, which is the only version that has been released theatrically (can't say for sure about China, though)...

The 108 min (not 113, nor 118) version is currently available only on Chinese DVD and EVD.

Saw the 98 min version on the big screen a year and a half ago and have the dvd. A masterpiece.

After reading some comments about the US trailer, I decided to watch it and well... it's laughable. The movie is nothing like the trailer. Also, the voiceover-guy pretty much gives away the whole movie in the midst of all the incorrect stuff that he says. Do NOT watch the trailer (unless you have already seen the movie and need a good laugh)!

And beware!!! This movie is SUBTITLED! Eeeeek! It's funny that they're hiding this in the trailer, as it has no dialogue from the movie.

Last edited by Mikko Rasinkangas; 08-13-04 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-13-04, 11:09 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
9 feet from a 61" screen with kick-ass DTS surround sound = Theater experience
480p doesn't come close to theater resolution and picture clarity.
Old 08-13-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Mikko Rasinkangas
Uncut, as in no cuts to the 98 minutes version that is the only version that has been released theatrically (can't say for sure about China, though)...

The 108 min (not 113, nor 118) version is currently available only on Chinese DVD and EVD.

Saw it on the big screen a year and a half ago and have the dvd. A masterpiece.

After reading some comments about the US trailer, I decided to watch it and well... it's laughable. The movie is nothing like the trailer. Also, the voiceover-guy pretty much gives away the whole movie in the midst of all the incorrect stuff that he says. Do NOT watch the trailer (unless you have already seen the movie and need a good laugh)!

And beware!!! This movie is SUBTITLED! Eeeeek! It's funny that they're hiding this in the trailer, as it has no dialogue from the movie.
miramax has gotten better over hte past few years. city of god is complete and uncut, so is the blind swordsman and subtitled.

also
Miramax, the distributor, apparently cut out 20 minutes from the movie because they found that part to be "too Asian and confusing" for western audiences. Then-Miramax honcho Harvey Weinstein made a deal with Quentin Tarantino that he'd release the film uncut if Tarantino would allow a "Quentin Tarantino Presents" tag at the beginning of the film. Tarantino agreed.
Old 08-13-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
miramax has gotten better over hte past few years. city of god is complete and uncut, so is the blind swordsman and subtitled.

also
Miramax, the distributor, apparently cut out 20 minutes from the movie because they found that part to be "too Asian and confusing" for western audiences. Then-Miramax honcho Harvey Weinstein made a deal with Quentin Tarantino that he'd release the film uncut if Tarantino would allow a "Quentin Tarantino Presents" tag at the beginning of the film. Tarantino agreed.
I really hope that this is remains true and the movie is issued undubbed and uncut.
Old 08-13-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

when is this due for release?
Old 08-13-04, 12:47 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Wow im glad I found out here that Tarantino has nothing to do with this movie--I would of never seen it.
Old 08-13-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Groucho
480p doesn't come close to theater resolution and picture clarity.
Yeah but movies at my theatres usually have greenish red dots burnt into the picture every 20 minutes, almost always displayed at the wrong ratio, and sound sometimes goes out of sync. I trust DVDs way more than theatres.
Old 08-13-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Great movie... I too have had the DVD for a long time, but would gladly see this film in a theater. I saw the trailer before "Harold and Kumar", and forklor
Old 08-13-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by scroll2b
when is this due for release?
august 20 in limited release.
Old 08-13-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Yeah but movies at my theatres usually have greenish red dots burnt into the picture every 20 minutes, almost always displayed at the wrong ratio, and sound sometimes goes out of sync. I trust DVDs way more than theatres.
you've been going to the wrong theaters. all those conditions except the burn in mark (which if you've never bitched about cig burns, those dots shouldn't disturb you either) you can avoid all those problems.
Old 08-13-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
i read that harvey would release it uncut if tarantino's name was on it.
I think that they agreed not to cut it anymore than it already had been, if QT lent his name to the film. Tarentino saw the 98 min version and said that he didn't want that version to be cut. I have no idea if he was aware of the original longer cut at that point.

There are some R0 discs out there (I bought the first mainland Chinese disc way back when, and that one is R0). You will probably have to order from a dealer outside of the US though, due to Miramax's threats.
Old 08-14-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Harvey shelled out $20 million to aquire this film. I'm surprised their not giving it a bigger release....
Old 08-14-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
in one trailer did I just imagine it or did

Spoiler:
they mention in the trailer that Jet Li's character Nameless, was an assassin?

I thought that was a huge part of the movie for me to find out, and knowing it ahead of time is kind of silly.

I'm really happy with that region 0 gung dong? dvd I bought at this chinese mall in the bay area. Hopefully when the movie is released, it's released in a theater close to where I am.
Old 08-14-04, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by Lastblade
I saw this last year, bought the region free release (it was original), and thought it was a terribly long and boring film.

The fight scenes aren't too bad, but it is just so painfully slow and my wife fell asleep watching it (don't blame her, I dozed off a couple of times myself).
90 minutes is "terribly long"?

Anyway, you can find a legit DVD of Hero for $4 from pretty much any HK online retailer ...
Old 08-18-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by asianxcore
in one trailer did I just imagine it or did

Spoiler:
they mention in the trailer that Jet Li's character Nameless, was an assassin?

I thought that was a huge part of the movie for me to find out, and knowing it ahead of time is kind of silly.
Yes, Yes, and Yes.
Old 08-18-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i read that harvey would release it uncut if tarantino's name was on it. (in ew), i'll check it out in theaters when it does come out.
Sigh.

Let me repeat AGAIN: the US theatrical (ie, the Tarantino version) is 98 MINUTES LONG.

Check the press release, which stated that the US version IS THE SAME AS IT WAS RELEASED THEATRICALLY IN ITS HOME COUNTRY, ie, China. And that version is 98 minutes long.

I think I now sound like a broken record, but I can't believe that after all this time some people still don't get it.

So, once again so people don't go around spreading untruths anymore:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...2225928&EDATE=

"The film is being released in the exact same version that shattered box office records in its native land."

That version is the 98 minute one.

Last edited by Grimfarrow; 08-18-04 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-19-04, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got into an argument with a cook at the theater i work at after he said it was QT's new film. I think he finally came around and started listening to reason. But most people are shocked when i tell them, i've had it on dvd for almost a year. I am looking forward to seeing it on the big screen though, since it had some of the most beautiful cinematography i've ever seen.
Old 08-19-04, 08:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
and funny that Nicheflix's copy of the director's cut should be waiting for me when I get home from work today (fingers crossed)... can't wait to watch this and then see it again on the big screen (where it's supposed to be seen).
Old 08-20-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Isn't this movie supposed to get a wide US release today?

I live in NYC where we have madd theaters and the only theater that's playin' it is the American Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria Queens NY @ 7:30 PM.

Hopefully this will get a wider release cuz if not, this sucks
Old 08-20-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
This has an astounding 100% on RT right now.

Go Hero, go!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.