Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Malaysia: Muslims banned from seeing Gibson's Passion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-04, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mel Gibson's movie "The Passion of the Christ" may have packed theaters in many parts of the world, including the Middle East, but the authorities in Malaysia don't want Muslims to see it.

Gibson's interpretation of the biblical account of the crucifixion opens in the Southeast Asian country next month, but moviegoers will have to show national identification cards -- which show religious affiliation -- at cinemas to ensure that only Christians are allowed in.

The story of the crucifixion contradicts the Koran, which characterizes Jesus not as the Son of God who died for mankind's sins, but as a Muslim prophet who was taken up to heaven without dying. Islam also regards the portrayal of prophets through pictures or images as a sin.

Just over 60 percent of Malaysia's 25 million people are Muslims, and only some nine percent are Christians. There are also large ethnic Indian and Chinese minorities.

The government's censors originally were expected to ban the movie altogether -- a frequent occurrence in Malaysia -- and therefore the distributors did not even bother to submit a copy for a decision.

After Christians leaders lobbied in favor of the movie, it was revealed in parliament earlier this month that it had been approved for screening at designated cinemas -- to be seen by Christians only.
The government of Malaysia, like those of many other Muslim countries, worries about Muslims converting to other faiths.

As such, there are guidelines forbidding the use in non-Muslim books of some words, like "Allah," into the Malaysian language, lest Muslims become confused.
http://www.cnsnews.com//ViewForeignB...20040728a.html

Mel Gibson's box office smash "The Passion of The Christ" has had its Malaysian premiere before a Christians-only audience even as pirated DVD copies flooded the market.

About 150 pastors and church officials watched the film in a cinema on Wednesday ahead of general screening in mainly Muslim Malaysia from September, but even then only Christians will be able to see it.
http://www.reuters.com/printerFriend...storyID=563022
Old 08-12-04, 09:01 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remind me to skip Malaysia if I ever feel inclined to visit S. Asia.
Old 08-12-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

but moviegoers will have to show national identification cards -- which show religious affiliation --
Wow, how scary is that rule? Why, why would they require religion be stated on a national ID? The only reason is to suppress the undesirable religions.
Old 08-12-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sad state of affairs.

Thank God I live in the US.
Old 08-12-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Rivero
Remind me to skip Malaysia if I ever feel inclined to visit S. Asia.
Add me to the list, too.
Old 08-12-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's crazy!
Old 08-12-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the terrorists have already won in malaysia, taking da freedoms away
Old 08-12-04, 10:28 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I can tell you on top of my head how bad it is in Malaysia

1) The majority of the population, muslims are called "Pigs" by the minority. Thus the movie "Babe" never made it to theaters.

2) Lion King, Pumba the pig( I think that's the name) was cut.

3) Willow, a scene where a group of people were turn into pigs was cut out.

4) Daredevil was banned because, it had the word Devil thus they censorship board decide that its bad for the people.

5) Schindler's Lists was banned. Yeah, thos freaking muslims don't like anything to do with Jews.

6) Kill Bill vol 1. never saw the light of day. Too violent they say.

From what i heard, the board that decides this "censorshit" consists of religious islamic pricks and they decide what people can and cannot watch.
Old 08-12-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Zoolander" was banned there as well, because of the plotline to assasinate Malaysia's Prime Minister.

Looked to me like bootlegs were the preferred method of home viewing anyway.
Old 08-12-04, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm..yet another country the US should invade so they will all be free to watch Zoolander.
Old 08-13-04, 05:42 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by vhgong
I can tell you on top of my head how bad it is in Malaysia

1) The majority of the population, muslims are called "Pigs" by the minority. Thus the movie "Babe" never made it to theaters.

2) Lion King, Pumba the pig( I think that's the name) was cut.

3) Willow, a scene where a group of people were turn into pigs was cut out.

4) Daredevil was banned because, it had the word Devil thus they censorship board decide that its bad for the people.

5) Schindler's Lists was banned. Yeah, thos freaking muslims don't like anything to do with Jews.

6) Kill Bill vol 1. never saw the light of day. Too violent they say.

From what i heard, the board that decides this "censorshit" consists of religious islamic pricks and they decide what people can and cannot watch.

who the hell are you to call those people islamic pricks, you need to learn to watch your mouth, it is completely inappropriate for you judge people you dont know, although i do not support their censorship but will not pass judement based on other people's views

Last edited by ruk; 08-13-04 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-13-04, 08:00 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ruk
who the hell are you to call those people islamic pricks, you need to learn to watch your mouth, it is completely inappropriate for you judge people you dont know, although i do not support their censorship but will not pass judement based on other people's views
He was referring to the ones who "decide what people can and cannot watch", not Islamic people in general. And yes, THOSE people are indeed pricks.
Old 08-13-04, 08:03 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by ruk
They are pricks and i am damn proud i said it.
Old 08-13-04, 08:51 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

sadly to say a man with so little knowledge, dont classify a group based on a few, like i dont classify you as an .................... i am muslim and i dont appreciate it, so grow up
Old 08-13-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Uh, settle down Ruk and turn down your sensitivity a bit... jeez...

He didn't call all Muslims "pricks" ...

He called the censors, who happen to be Muslim, pricks...

For you to assume that all Muslims are not pricks, despite their actions, soley because they're Muslims is very, very sad (and prick-esque)... and helps support the view held by some that all Muslims are pricks. You're not helping the cause.
Old 08-13-04, 10:26 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ruk
sadly to say a man with so little knowledge, dont classify a group based on a few, like i dont classify you as an .................... i am muslim and i dont appreciate it, so grow up
ruk, do you not read the posts?? Again, he wasn't calling all muslims pricks.....just the dipshits who would actually enforce this asinine policy and the government they're affiliated with.

Last edited by Rivero; 08-13-04 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-13-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Malaysia is actually one of the world's primary sources of bootlegs. So I'm sure these censorships have little effect.
Old 08-13-04, 06:02 PM

So sad.